1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

why maggette?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RENDIGGLER3:20, Aug 16, 2000.

1. RENDIGGLER3:20

I agree with you verse,all we need is some big men.A starting power forward and a center to backup or split some minutes with cato.(but that can wait maybe until next season)

As for getting Maggette in a sign&trade for Taylor,if the rockets pickup Mo it will be for the exception and if he is aqcuired by a sign&trade it will most likely be with Seattle.

------------------

2. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Could we aquire him and trade him for another pick??

------------------
    Don't you have anything better to do?

3. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

While any trade for a talented perimeter player (ie: Maggette, Mike Miller etc.) looks sexy on paper/to the fans, the bottom line is that it accomplishes nothing. With Mobley now safely re-signed, and with Anderson, Francis, Norris, and Langhi, the Rockets have more than enough talent outside. This team needs defensively skilled, hard working big men, and any deal this offseason should be to acquire one.

------------------
    "At least I screw sheeps..." - Corey Benjamin of the Clutch BBS.

4. haven

haven Member

Thanos: Maggette was traded not too long ago... he won't be eligible for a trade for a bit longer.

Also, Maggette will probably be better than anyone on our team except for Francis. Remember, when he played at Duke, people were already saying he might be the best player to ever go through that system. Nothing that he has done thus far has controverted this belief. He had an excellent rookie season for a 19 year old.

Maggette will likely be better than Mobley, Langhi, Anderson, Langhi, or Williams.

Besides, I think he'll play the 3, with his athleticism. And Anderson and Mobley are both really idealy suited to the 2.

------------------
    The lottery sucks. Playoffs 2001.

5. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

So verse are you telling me if you had a chance to get Maggette you wouldn't take him?
    And what do you mean he couldn't play small forward because of Langhi and Walt? Maggette
    has the chance to be an All Star in 3yrs while Walt and Langhi are average players.

6. Rocket JJANG

Rocket JJANG Member

Other one must be Grant Hill I guess.

------------------
    Hack a Shaq you'll be winning
    Hack-him you'll be dreaming.

7. verse

verse Contributing Member

exactly. it looks real good to stock up on all these flashy outside players, but you have to be pragmatic about it. what needs do you fill on this team? as you said, it has to be big men. the only thing i take outside of more "big men" is a 6'9" - 6'10" sf who could put the ball on the floor and shoot from the outside. and i don't see any of those available right now.

that would be great if it wasn't for that damn waiting period for trading a player you just acquired. at this point, it would be extremely unfair to corey to put him on a team already stocked with 2s for 30 days, just so we could move him.

...then again we could always just cut him and pay him like we did with augmon, shaw, maloney, etc. [​IMG]

i'd agree with every one on that list but *possibly* mobley. it's hard to judge how far "fire" can take a player. cutmob has that fire. maggette hasn't show it - yet.

i would disagree about the 3 spot, though. corey, IMO, is best suited in a run-and-gun offense where he can stretch those legs. when he entered games @ duke, the entire complexity changed. even in 1/2 court sets, it seemed like he was on a fast break [​IMG]. seriously, though, my prototypical sf is btwn 6'8" & 6'11" can stroke the j, run the court and post up. corey can do all but the 3rd effectively. so, yea, i guess he "could" play the 3, but i think he's more of a natural 2.

in the words of shaft...ya damn right.

don't get me wrong. corey is an OUTSTANDING talent. but look at our situation. we've pretty much promised shandon a starting job (another topic altogether). we've got a 6th man (cutmob) who could start on plenty of nba teams. so corey @ the 2 is a definite no.

as for the 3, if you re-read my post, i never said that he couldn't play there because of walt, langhi, etc. what i said was i felt he was a natural "2", a position we are logjammed at.

lemme ask you a question: would you take iverson on this team??? it's just as (in fact more so) pointless to add allen.

Rocket JJang: bingo. funny that grant was the player corey was compared to @ duke.

------------------
    miles ahead of the rest

8. haven

haven Member

Verse: Mobley is a good scorer, but his defense is close to pathetic. If you want a 2, Maggette is far more athletic, and larger. Mobley simply doesn't have the physical tools to play great defense at the SG spot... Maggette does. Maggette doesn't seem to have Mobley's "throw up bad shots" attitude either.

------------------
    The lottery sucks. Playoffs 2001.

9. verse

p.s. thacabbage:

your signature is killin me. i still can't believe i read that. my god, my god, my god...

10. verse

haven: you're probably right, but i hate to bet against someone who continually proves people wrong.

as for shot selection, corey's can be QUITE questionable. it may not be as crazy as mobley's but, corey's shots are often not the right shot to take either. in other words,

mobley will occasionally force a shot over 2-3 people at times, with little to no chance of it going in.

corey will take a shot in good form, but do it at the wrong time. you know, one on one, but no one on his team is even in position on offense.

both are bad shots.

but, i'll concede that corey probably has more upside. if for no other reason that coaching in his college career. but hey, cutmob has made his mark in the pros (and occasionally on the backboard w/bricks)...corey hasn't - yet.

either way, i wouldn't take corey on this current rockets team, unless it was with the understanding from him & rox mngment that he would be moved in the very near future for a high 1st round pick.

------------------
    miles ahead of the rest

11. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

verse, I understand what you are saying.

I think a lot of the people on the board are speculating on a Mo sign and trade and get greeedy and want a special player who seems to not fit in with the Clippers plans. That guy seems to be Maggoty.

Didn't Maggoty play the 3 in Orlando?

Would he not be an upgrade from Walt?

of course the Rockets need big men, but if you can upgrade the 3(w/o giving up much of course), then why not?

But this is all just hypothetical. Magotty will not be a throw-in on any Mo sign and trade and several teams can offer more for him than we could.

It ain't gonna happen.

------------------
    I am so exasperated that I could expectorate.

12. verse

ok,

i continue to hear people say how "we want maggette" on the rockets. my question is "why?"

i'm a HUGE maggette fan (only 1 of 2 players i have ever liked from duke, but i don't see where he realistically fits in on this team.

pg - steve francis & moochie norris
    sg - shandon anderson & cuttino mobley
    sf - walt, dan langhi, & shandon anderson, & yuk! bullard, too.

now, i don't think corey is best served as a 3, but is a natural 2 guard. so why does everyone seem to think he'd be such a good fit here? is it just because of his athleticism? if that's the case, and it doesn't matter who we have on our team currently, why not go for iverson, too??? oh, damn, someone already mentioned that ludicrosity...

------------------
    miles ahead of the rest

13. Rocketsauce

Rocketsauce Contributing Member

Amen!

------------------
    "Stranger things have happened, but none stranger than this" - Commentator after a parachutist landed in the ring of a Holyfield fight

14. Thanos

Thanos Member

Because he is the best option to be included in a trade that lands us Taylor.

The rookies obviously wouldn´t be included, and Odom wouldn´t, either.

That leaves Maggette and Nesby as two options that *could* be acquired in a sign and trade for Mo.

------------------
    "Behold the coming of the Almighty"