1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shell Recruitment Day -- Any Advice?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by fadeaway, Oct 19, 2011.

Tags:
  1. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

I know that several folks on here work for Shell. I have been shortlisted to attend a Shell Recruitment Day, and was just wondering if anyone had some specific advice about how to succeed at the event? I have learned a lot about the process through Internet research, but I thought someone on here might have a personal experience they would be willing to share. From what I have gathered so far, it is a very intense process!

Probably a long shot, but any information would be appreciated. :)

2. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

No clue but if you are being interviewed the most important part is the questions YOU ask them.

Good luck

3. Ramu3

Ramu3 Member

Good Luck , Hope all goes well !

4. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Exactly. Ask lots of questions about gasoline discounts and if the job includes free smokes and coffee at Shell convenience stores. Also, ask if you get to pick the hottest secretary from the pool. Show confidence and let them know that you are motivated.

5. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

He he... Thanks. I'll also be sure to ask if a drug test is required, in as nervous a tone as possible.

6. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Tell them you've heard of public outrage over them not being able to keep Jack Links Beef Jerky in stock! Not Pepper, not Teriyaki, REGULAR! It's pissing me, I mean a lot of people off.

7. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Tell them you worked under Ken Lay at Enron. That should get you into Shell. :grin:

8. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

What type of job are you applying for?

9. aggie87

aggie87 Member

it doesn't really matter how you answer your questions as long as you don't sound like a r****d

as mentioned, it is very important that show interest in the job itself, ask about company culture, values, job duties, etc.

10. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

one word:

cleavage

11. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

also vacation time and salaries

12. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

thank u come again thank u come again thank u come again thank u come again thank u come again thank u come again thank u come again thank u come again thank u come again thank u come again thank u come again thank u come again

13. pge71188

pge71188 Member

Man working for Shell is tough

14. what

what Member

Don't know if this applies, but:

Recruitment Scams

This is an important notice on fraudulent communications that have been made to members of the public which are purported to be on behalf of Companies within the Shell Group ('Shell').

There have been recent incidents that have occurred with organisations falsely pretending to recruit on behalf of Shell or by people claiming to work for, or be affiliated to, Shell. These propositions notify individuals that their qualifications were found suitable to work as an employee (local or expatriate) for Shell and solicit the transfer of significant sums of money to pay for work permits, insurance policies, etc.

Please note that Shell (nor any of the organisations that recruit on our behalf) never ask for any money or payments from applicants, at any point in the recruitment process. All individuals who are successful in gaining an offer of employment from Shell, whether directly or indirectly, are always required to go through a formal recruitment process.

Please note that these communications are fraudulent. They do not originate from Shell nor are they associated with Shell's recruitment process.

Salient points of such communications are that they come from non-Shell e-mail addresses (e.g. from a yahoo.com address); the use of English is poor; at some stage, money is requested. We recommend that you do not respond to unsolicited business propositions and/or offers from people with whom you are unfamiliar. Do not disclose your personal or financial details to anyone you do not know. If you receive such proposals, we would advise you to contact your local police and provide them with all information you may have from the senders (email addresses, phone/fax details, etc.).

15. D-Lite

D-Lite Contributing Member

My girlfriend did shell re ruitment day (engineering). She now works for shell.

There are a lot of case studies and group activities. I think there is a ppt presentation you have to make and then give during the day. Finally there is an interview at the end where you present one technical project you have worked on (internship/previous employer).

My girlfriend got an offer the same day recruitment day ended. I think engineers (if you are one) have a higher chance of getting hired.

Hope this helps

16. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

DON'T DO IT!!!!!

Seriously, I hope you do well. I have worked for Shell for 13 years, and have been in the facility for 18 years (5 as a contractor). It's a great gig if you plan to stay long term, but it's a cutthroat competitive company. My biggest complaint is that they never seem to have a long term vision. It's as if the plan changes every time upper management changes. Other than that, it's not a bad place. I have about 12 years to go and already have a great retirement set up.

17. Robert E. Lee

Robert E. Lee Member

I have this coming up next week for their "Commercial" line of business. Any tips or anyone have an idea on what the topics are?

18. Robert E. Lee

Robert E. Lee Member

I am a Finance major also.

19. randomdude

randomdude Member

Not sure about for accounting/finance jobs, but for engineering, emphasize safety (HSE). For finance/accounting, I guess the equivalent would be risk management. Good luck

20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Make sure you emphasize your support of the Obama administration and your love of keeping the environment clean.