1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If we do sign Taylor...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by UT Baller, Aug 9, 2000.

1. UT Baller

UT Baller Member

..then we should use our exception to get Williams from Detroit. Dumars reportedly would take the exception for him and this would be the banger at the 4 for those who think Taylor cant cut it. Also, Williams played for Steves team in the summer so ther is another connection to the Franchise. There would be a log jam at the 4 though so we would probably end up having to trade KT. Now before I go on let me provide my reasoning for the next deal. The Clippers do not have a 4 that I can think of. Odom is their cornerstone, and Miles and Richardwson want to be there so maybe we could pry Maggette away with KT and whatever is left of our exception(although I would even throw in Drew and Los). Maggette is maybe a year away from being a good player. When he was a freshman at Duke there was talk that he would do more for that program than Grant Hill, which sounds good to me. We would keep WW, which should please many of the posters here. If Taylor plays his a$$ off for us then we reward him next summer and draft a couple of role players and I could see us winning big in the next two or three seasons.

Proposed lineup 01-02:
    1- Francis/Moochie
    2- Anderson/Cat
    3- Maggette/Langhi/Terrence Morris
    4- Taylor/Williams/Collier
    5- Cato/Ken Johnson/Collier

------------------

2. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Clippers won't trade Maggette for Kenny Thomas, and at PF they have Brian Skinner, Derek Strong, and Sean Rooks. They have a full roster, and don't want anymore players on their roster (they have like 20).

Maggette is their future at the 2 guard spot. I'm guessing when Darius Miles is ready, they'll play Odom at PG, Maggette at SG, and Miles at the 3. Maggette was the reason they made the deal with the Magic.

KT is cheap, young, and is somewhat decent for other teams, and we wouldn't have a problem trading him.

------------------
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Follow the rules or be assimilated.
    Shandon is underrated.

3. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

If we get Taylor, why would we go after another PF? Most likely , if Taylor wants to come here , he will coinvince the Clippers to sign-and-trade him for the exemption since they do not want increase their payroll by taking on more salary. Drew could be a throw-in but it would take the entire exemption plus Drew to get Taylor's salary where he would want it.

------------------
    Houston Rockets Forever!!
    In Rudy We Trust

[This message has been edited by Dennis2112 (edited August 09, 2000).]

4. MManal

MManal Member

UT Baller,

I fully agree on the Jerome Williams point. Maurice Taylor does exactly one thing well and thats score. The guy is Charmin soft and boards like a little wus. Unless the Rockets add Jerome Williams as well, this team could shape up to be one where the guards outrebound the big men. If you pair Maurice Taylor with Jerome Williams, then that could actually have some way of working. However, if you go with Cato, Taylor, Collier and KT, that kind of thing is doomed to failure. I would say try to add a tough rebounder like Jerome Williams which would make KT completely expendable.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

5. UT Baller

UT Baller Member

Nike - You are probably right, but I have had my eye on Maggette since he came into the league. I would $hit if we could get him, he is going to be special.

Dennis - Taylor has a history of being soft while Williams is a warrior on D and the boards:they complement each other perfect. Williams or Taylor could both play C for short (like 5 minutes) streches also. Also, I dont think that Clips are going to try and help a guy that blasted them get more money, and if Nike is right than they dont need more players who they would have to pay for not playing.

------------------

6. Rocketsauce

Rocketsauce Contributing Member

I agree that Williams would be a much better fit than Taylor.

UTBaller, Where did you hear that Dumars would take the trade exception for Williams?

------------------
    "Stranger things have happened, but none stranger than this" - Commentator after a parachutist landed in the ring of a Holyfield fight

7. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Taylor is an unrestricted free agent. We don't have to give the Clips anything for him. Why would we want to.

------------------
    GATER

8. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

GATER-To have him long term, or to give him "Mo" money.

------------------
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Follow the rules or be assimilated.
    Shandon is underrated.