1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Can't Cato Score Regularly??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rileydog, Nov 1, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Cato has size and athleticism. The Indiana game showed us that. Based on his free throws, it looks like he has a decent touch. So, where the hell are his post moves?

Four possibilities:

1. our coaches have made no attempt to teach him a jump hook or drop step move?
    2. our coaches have tried, but he is incapable?
    3. Cato knows how to score, but because he's so feeble minded and soft, that makes no attempt to post up?
    4. Nobody will give Cato the ball in the post, so he has quit trying to get into the post?
    [5. because he has been trashed so much on BBS that the girls won't have him? oh, wait, that's a different kind of "score"]

I think it's No. 2.

2. Kelvin Cato

Kelvin Cato Member

Because I have no scoring skills :(

I will lead the league in rebounding though ;)

3. cujo

cujo Member

Kelvin, nice to see u on the board. Keep up the good play. Can I have your autograph?:)

4. Rocketability

Rocketability Member

Kelvin, we love you here. Don't listen to the haters. They are just minority here.

5. verse

verse Contributing Member

Kelvin Cato:

you are the greatest!!! positive thoughts yield positive results!!!

:) :) :)

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Kelvin, if you lead the league in rebounding.....that's good enough for me! ;)

Chris

7. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

My post is actually somewhat complimentary to Cato. I think he has skills but isn't using them.

I agree. If the guy averages anywhere near 10 rebounds a game, I'd vote him most improved player of the year.

8. Kelvin Cato

Kelvin Cato Member

Thanks for your support, guys!!!

Tonight I plan on disappearing. You know, just for kicks. That way I can sneak up on people in future games. It's all part of my master plan that's been in place since I signed my fat contract.:cool:

9. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Kelvin - in practice use iso-toner gloves. That way, when you play the game without gloves, your hands will have a better feel for the ball.

And it wouldn't hurt to go hang out with Steve & Cat on occassion. :D

10. walterw

walterw Member

I have to say it is the no. 4. Cato just could not get the ball
    from our guards. After a while, he gets no motivation to move
    around.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Cato has just not put the work in on his game to improve on the offensive end.

Some players add something new every year and work on their game, some are just glad to be here.

Kelvin is a "just glad to be here" kind of player.

DaDakota

12. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

Cato needs guards to set him up. That didn't happen in Indiana. Cato doesn't score consistently because the guards don't consistently involve him.

They maybe run a play for Cato once or twice a game. Everything else depends on the guards and his offensive rebounding.

In Indiana, he got 7 offensive boards, but he kicked it back out to the guards.

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Cato can score at will. Just driving that pimp-mobile of his, the bee'll get the honey.

(pause)

Sorry, they can't all be gems.

14. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

If you guys go back and look at all of Cato's better games. All 5 of them....You'll notice one thing, and you cant possibly miss it.

Cato got alot of his points off of dribble penetration from Steve and dishes as he rolled from the baseline. In turn Cato would also receive alley oops and get seriously motivated. He would rebound better and play a "meaner" defense.

Problem is, our offense should be predicated more on this and less iso-heave a shot up in traffic-or pass as 5 guys surround me. Its basketball smarts. If the D is trapping you too soon, make the pass sooner, someone needs to be rolling to the hoop as someone is starting their penetration. The Rox play a stupid mans game, and will get beat consistantly until they decide getting everyone involved in the game (regardless of weather the trust them or not) is going to keep all the players involved on both sides of the court.

When Steve decides to get the the other guys involved, we will be a much much better team. That goes for Mobley too.

15. RocketDevil

RocketDevil Member

Give Kelvin a break.

I suffered with the rest of you through the beginning of Kelvin's career, but don't any of you look at the trends. He improved considerably over the course of last year. Last game was another improvement. I don't ever expect Kelvin to be a go to offensive player. He certainly isn't Hakeem, but who ever thought that he was. If he continues his improvement he may be a good rebounder and one of the better defensive centers in the game. In today's game with people playing power forwards at center because they can't find a legitimate we may have for our backup a defender that 15-20 teams can't find for a starter.

He's not perfect, he's not ever going to be a great offensive player, he's not a superstar, but he can help our team.

After a 16 board performance, why focus on the negatives in his game.

16. mprodrig

mprodrig Member

That's a great point Riley....seems like a lot people on this site focus on negative things. Cato probably isn't worth the $42mil he's getting but then again he proabaly could be starting for at least have off the other teams in the league.

17. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

He actually doesn't suck as much as he used to suck. Now it's mainly his offense sucks a little. But if he works on not sucking, pretty soon none of his game will suck...

Maybe they keep Collier around because he has some wierd way of pulling all things that Cato sucks at into himself... I mean Jason really sucks now. Much more than he used to suck. And he used to suck. When he was born there was probably this loud sucking sound... :eek:

18. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

Cato has no offensive moves, and his jumper is terrible. He is only good for blocking shots and grabbing rebounds.

19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Who thinks that is really Kelvin Cato.

20. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

It's Santa...