1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dreamweaver template question

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GlenRice, May 27, 2011.

1. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

This a what the demo template looks like

[​IMG]

but this is what it looks like when I use it on dreamweaver

[​IMG]

What am I doing wrong?

2. B

B Contributing Member

It could be a number of things, you may not have the entire file structure copied over, so then the CSS and images are missing, hence no formatting and broken images.

3. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

I don't know where your getting your directions from but you need to learn the basics. First I would learn HTML\CSS (you can't learn one without the other) and then move on to PHP\MySQL(again you can't learn one without the other) and then finally javascript.

http://www.amazon.com/Build-Your-Si...5278/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306526752&sr=8-1 for HTML\CSS

http://www.amazon.com/Learning-MySQL-JavaScript-Step-Step/dp/0596157134/ref=pd_sim_b_5 for the latter.

If you have any other questions I would go to a site that specializes in those questions, like stackoverflow.com. You should also ditch dreamweaver all together and just go with a text editor, an IDE or use dreamweaver just as a text editor.

4. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

B is right, the template you're looking at is mainly styled through the CSS file, and you're only seeing the HTML when you open the .html page (I'm assuming that you saved it somewhere else, and thus didn't move a copy of the CSS and/or images to the new location, and thus it can't find the references it needs to display the layout correctly.)

5. Chopped

Chopped Member

devry?

too easy...

as mentioned previously, the issue should be no css file/images in the directory you have all the files in the main html file pointing to.

6. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

I still don't understand, Can you guys dumb it down a little. Thanks!

7. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

It mean you have to relink those image files.

8. B

B Contributing Member

It means you need more then just the HTML file. You need to have every file required for the web page on your computer when you edit it in Dreamweaver.

9. doboyz

doboyz Contributing Member

Your image files arent hosted in the correct path that its looking for it most likely. Honestly, skip all this, start learning the basics before you start. You're going to run into alot more problems, and 10x more complicated if you don't have a good base on what you're doing.

10. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Start here:

HTML Tutorial

Use <i>Notepad</i> or a similar basic Editor.

11. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

But doesn't dreamweaver does all that html coding for you?

#11 GlenRice, May 28, 2011
    Last edited: May 28, 2011
  12. B

B Contributing Member

It does it to some degree, but it's good to at least have some understanding of how the tags work. What it seems like you need to learn before using Dreamweaver is how src works. In the HTML you'll see src="something", and you need to make sure you have all the files in the location specified by src. Often they'll be in different directories, hence why just trying to edit the index.html file by itself will produce text only in Dreamweaver.

13. rage

rage Member

You are not listening to what the rest are saying.
    From your questions, there are a lot of things you need to learn, from the ground up. Going at this blindly without knowing the basics is very hard and you will be wasting a lot of time.

14. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Yep maybe ITT Tech would have been a better school to go to.

15. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Jesus Christ. I know more about coding and website design than you and I'm still in High School... :eek:

Like everyone else said. START WITH THE BASICS. Can't build a house without a steady foundation.