1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who are the NBA's greatest high-jumpers?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RNuss02, Oct 30, 2002.

Tags:
  1. RNuss02

RNuss02 Member

I would like to know your opinions on who you'd put on a team if you could create a group with the highest jumpers (I mean players that can leap outa the gym) in the NBA right now. Start with a starting five of the best hoppers, regardless of position. Then, maybe you can create a starting line-up of who are the best jumpers according to their respective positions. Finally, if you want, list a group of five of the NBA's all time best air-goers.

My starting 5 best leapers in the NBA right now, regardless of position include:

1) Steve Francis
    2) Baron Davis
    3) Jason Richardson
    4) Kobe Bryant
    5) of course Vince Carter

my second team would be:

1) Tracy McGrady
    2) Darius Miles
    3) Bonzi Wells
    4) Paul Pierce
    5) ????

2. Shooter1583

Shooter1583 Member

After seeing some of his flights against the Suns, Desmond Mason has to be right up there among the greatest leapers. He had some sick dunks tonight.

3. tuus

tuus Member

But i like to know is this true: i read some article, that Vince Carter never tried high jump. Is this possible? Are you really there in States doesn't have in school programs athletics?:confused:

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

High jumping isn't exactly a glamorous sport in the States, tuus. Track & Field competition in the states isn't as popular as baseball, football, and basketball. It's definitely not as popular as it is overseas.

5. jw1144

jw1144 Contributing Member

Steve Francis has to be the highest jumper. I remember in the dunk contest a couple of years ago when they were measuring each players vertical on their dunks, Steve had them all beat-- including Vinsanity and T-mac.

6. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Gerald Wallace belongs on one of those lists. Didn't Darvin Ham have an awesome vert as well?

7. RNuss02

RNuss02 Member

Richard Jefferson....I gorgot to mention him

8. mav3434

mav3434 Member

Hell yeah, on that one putback dunk he jumped through the roof, it was crazy.

9. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

Caron Butler ! dude can sky

10. Looogie

Looogie Member

Not true. There was a article this summer where it said that Vince saw a high jump competition on TV in High school, went to the track and cleared 6'6

11. JamesC

JamesC Member

Shawn Marion and Amare Stoudamire can fly. Chris Wilcox can get up to.

12. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

His vertical is 38 inches. That is high, but not in the top 10. Steve, Baron, Carter, Stevenson, Q-Rich, and a couple other guys can get up higher.

13. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

At the rookie camp Wilcox's vertical was measured at like 32 or 34 inches, I think.

14. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

my all jumpers lineup would be this:

pg: francis
    sg: vince carter
    sf: t-mac
    pf: amare stoudemire
    c: stromile swift

bench: gerald wallace, kobe bryant, keon clark, baron davis, deshawn stevenson.

15. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

At PF I would have KG, your list is pretty good 3814. I would also have Clark at center.

16. PurvisShort

PurvisShort Member

bonzi doesnt jump that high.

mcdyess coming out of alabama had a 47''...pretty sick imagining a 6'9'' guy w/ long arms leaping 47. we know what he's doing now, sad.

kevin garnett has some hops.

17. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

McDyess's vertical coming out of college was 42 inches. His one step vertical was 47 inches.

18. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

I was just about to say the same thing. I think he should be in the dunk competition. He's probably got the best hops in the league.

19. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

He is out for the season, with another bad injury, so I doubt that he could even be able to do a 1 handed regular dunk right now. I assume that his vertical isn't 42 inches anymore.