1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Medical Question

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Lil Pun, May 5, 2011.

1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

My daughter, who turns 2 in July, has an unusual habit. She will bend her knees then she stretches her legs fully and she does this over and over. She does it when she is laying or sitting or somebody is holding her but not when standing. She does not do it all the time as it is pretty sporadic but the majority of the time she does it before when she is laying down and as she goes to sleep but sometimes she will do it at other times, being held, sitting in her car seat, etc.

I do not personally think it is a big deal but her mother does. We have spoken to several of our friends who are nurses and they say it is not normal and we should get it checked out by a doctor. We have scheduled an appointment with the doctor next week but I was wondering if anybody else had any type of experience with this sort of thing too before we go.

Worst case scenario I think is restless leg syndrome but then again that's why we're going to the doctor. Anyway, any type of experience advice, etc. is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Mrs. Valdez

Mrs. Valdez Member

If she doesn't have any other strange symptoms such as a tendency towards repetitive actions or not responding well socially then I would lean towards RLS or possibly that it has become a comforting habit. She should be talking soon, if not already, and you can ask her if her legs hurt or if she needs to run around a little.

1 person likes this.
  3. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i still do that.

i really dont think it's anything at all. Kids always do weird stuff when getting familiar with their motor skills.

1 person likes this.
  4. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

If she's doing it primarily before her sleeptime, then maybe it's her way to burning off excessive energy or settling herself down. I'd definitely go see a doctor, though, even if it is for peace-of-mind.

1 person likes this.
  5. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

I wouldn't get too worried about it (I understand how hard it is to do that with a 2 year old myself lol) but there's no harm in having it checked out.

As mentioned, is she talking yet? Might help if she's actually saying something hurts or not.

1 person likes this.
  6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Isn't that the movement toddlers make when they get emotional? Like a kicking motion :confused:

1 person likes this.
  7. Lil Pun

Thanks for the feedback. I've repped where I could. :)

8. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

Sounds like a kid who enjoys having legs that move.

p.s. RLS is bull****.

1 person likes this.
  9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I would ask the pediatrician about it at the regular visit. But I wouldn't be worried. My 5-year-old son has always been spring and is constantly moving around. Just being a kid.

RLS is BS. And the cure is: Orgasms!

10. Lil Pun

Thanks for the additional information. I have always assumed that myself but it makes the misses feel better. :)