1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Adelman, Rockets disagreed over successor

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pat, May 2, 2011.

1. Jacinto

Jacinto Member

right on

2. PeppermintCandy

It does seem a bit convoluted, but I like that Morey seems to be taking his time and exploring all avenues. Besides, not knowing the how's and why's of the process, I'm willing to trust that Morey has his reasons for his decisions here.

3. engr_alex

engr_alex Member

wow. this sucks as much when they couldnt wait to get rid of jvg so they could bring in adelman.

i wonder how the coaching candidates would feel about interviewing now

4. PeppermintCandy

It could be that Adelman told Morey he expected to be coaching for about another 3 years but probably retire after that, and when Morey proposed his "successor" idea, Adelman remained steadfastly loyal to Turner and his other assistant coaches.

Just pure speculation, but it's a possibility IMO.

5. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

So Rick isn't embracing the Rockets' creativity in the free agent player OR coaching market. No wonder he's a goner.

6. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Doesn't this pretty much go against everything "tankers" have been saying the past couple of weeks about the reasons the Rockets got rid of Adelman? Heck, even Clutch's article said the reason behind it was to take a step back to win big later. I didn't agree with that at all, but at least it's an explanation. However, It doesn't appear like that was the case at all.

Just seems like all of the discussion on here the past couple weeks about Adelaman's departure have just been made irrelevant.

7. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Homerun!

8. anchel

anchel Member

Rockets liked Adelman but not certain things of him. So they wanted to hire an assistant coach of a different profile to cover those weaknesses and at the same time learn Adelman's strengths. I see it fair enough and I agree with that Rockets thought. Adelman stayed loyal to his staff, but Rockets obviously have other preferences.

It seems Adelman declined any kind of change (personal change / environment change), and Rockets were not as comfortable with him enough to accept all his conditions.

9. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

If Elie became coach, Adelman would make sense, but it seems to me that the Rockets are getting a young coach that they can grow with. Unless something dramatic happens, I see the next coach of the Rockets as someone who has no experience as head coach.

10. meadowlark

meadowlark Member

I've said all along they know exactly who they want and have known for some time....the rest is just window dressing.

11. DragonGirl

DragonGirl Member

Yes, I agree!

Why does Clutch write article about Adelman fired over "Win now vs. win big?"

I was accepting seemingly new direction of Rockets to take step back to take two steps forward. It seemed like Adelman just did not want to take any steps back.

Now this very strange and shameful situation appears. Is this a common practice in America? We plan to fire you, but please stay on temporarily to train your "successor"? :confused:

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

It would seem to be an awkward situation for the "new guy." Turner and Sikma both have the desire (and capability) to be a head coach and, possibly, successor to Adelman for the Rockets job, so having a new "heir apparent" would seem to be a bit of a slap in the fact of these guys. I can't imagine how they could stay if Adelman were to bring the new guy in without having some sort of strange resentment thing among the coaches and the front office. Did Dennis Lindsey stay a while after Morey got hired? I wonder how that situation was.

Anyhow, I agree the situation is different-- Adelman is not a Houston lifer like CD and has other opportunities out there which would allow him more freedom. I can see why this would cause him to leave.

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

It's surprising to me that people can see all the same information and interpret it so differently from what seems like commonsense to me. This is what it looks like to me:

* The Rockets like Adelman as a coach but recognize that he's getting old and his retirement would be disruptive, so succession needs to be considered.

* They like Adelman's offense and want to keep it, but they have some things they want their coach to accede to and/or be good at, such as moneyball, and Morey's player development strategy.

* They've seen Turner up close and don't have confidence that he's the guy they want. It's unclear if they do know the particular guy they do want. They might have been planning to do a quiet assistant search if Adelman conceded.

* They didn't offer Adelman an extension because they needed to iron out this new relationship and succession before they can sign up for a couple more years of Adelman and they know Adelman will think Turner should be the successor.

* So they negotiate with Adelman knowing it probably won't work out but they should give it a shot. It indeed doesn't work out.

* It's a loss in the short-term because they won't get to keep the Adelman offense without the coach to run it. But, they weren't willing to commit to Turner in the long-term, so they figure it had to be done.

* They will more likely slide toward blowing it up now since they'll be starting with a new head coach and new schemes.

* Their coach search is also harder now than with a successor search. For a successor, they just needed someone who could work with Morey and Adelman would teach him the offense and how to be a head coach. Now, they need someone who can work with Morey and also be ready now to be the head coach. At least they won't have to run the Adelman offense. They also need to fill out the whole staff.

* I don't think Finch was the successor as everyone is assuming. I don't have a lot of evidence for that. It could be though, considering Adelman's quote about his staff's player development being fine as it was. But, I do assume he will be an assistant next year, at least.

2 people like this.
  14. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Haha, common sense after traversing 9 steps? :grin:

This is the most convoluted coaching search that I am aware of, and the first time I've ever heard of a team's management formally trying to force a successor into a coaching staff, and there's a reason for it.

15. Nook

Nook Member

For what it is worth, what has been floating around the Toyota Center offices is the following...

The "regent coach" was Finch. He and Morey have been at the Toyota Center a lot, and share similar philosophies and opinions on players. Finch has been around the Rockets quite a bit.

As far as the rockets wanting Adelman out.. he is 65 years old and only wanted to commit a year at a time (understandable).

Really it just came down to different objectives. The Rockets wanted a longer commitment, and Adelman didn't want to mentor Finch, and thought it was disrespectful to his staff.

16. Vivaelsueno

Vivaelsueno Member

Show me the rings! In Morey we DO NOT TRUST!

17. Vivaelsueno

Vivaelsueno Member

A lot of hot air, but no substance.

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I suspected it was fears about the franchise having to reboot once Rick retired that drove this early change. Especially since that rebooting would be happening at the crest of what should be a much more competitive team.

To the people that railed on me for suggesting that Adleman's impending retirement played into this decision, your apology is accepted.

#78 DonnyMost, May 3, 2011
    Last edited: May 3, 2011
  19. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

CD wanted to retire.

20. Vivaelsueno

Vivaelsueno Member

The smoke are clearing, the mirrors are cracking, and the effect of the kool-aid drinks are wearing out.

Morey is cheap and we're gonna see a very cheap and poorly managed product next see from the Rockets.