1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vote of Confidence - Daryl Morey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rileydog, Apr 20, 2011.

?

Vote of Confidence - Would you keep or fire Daryl Morey

1. "Confident" - I'd keep Daryl Morey

297 vote(s)
    83.2%
  2. "No Confidence" - I'd fire Daryl Morey

60 vote(s)
    16.8%
  1. Vivaelsueno

Vivaelsueno Member

GM picks the players...and coach works with players GM picked.
    So Morey doesn't like his trades the last 2 years?

He want change...basically blaming Adelman for this mess.

2. acshen

acshen Contributing Member

Unbelievable.

3. sephiroth.hk

sephiroth.hk Member

Morey want change...
    Yes, he should find a new job...

4. houseofglass21

Rick already got fired.

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

How could you even come to the conclusion the DM doesn't like his trades the last 2 years? Not all of his trades were connected. He traded Tmac for Hill and he traded Landry for Kevin Martin, that already counts towards that 30 player turnover everyone seems to fixate about. Then when he trades Brooks for Dragic that also counts towards the turnover. Its such a meaningless stat, yet people bring it up like its some big thing.

Also if you mean missing the playoffs as the "mess", you can 100% blame it on Adelman. Reason we missed it is because he waited half a season to play Patterson and he kept giving 20 minutes to Brooks who was losing us games on a daily basis.

6. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I'm going to say this, Morey has had the great benefit of 2 really good coaches. Adelman with his faults willed 43 wins out of a 30 roster. If the choice was between Adelman and Morey, adelman all the way. Since this thing started years ago and adelman managed to win games despite injuries and a roster turnover, i think its easier to replace a morey than an adelman.When free agents are looking at teams, they look at coaches and coaching style along with other players. Players arent sold on Morey, but there arent many players who wouldnt want to play for adelman. Just my .02

7. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Wow how fast have the tables turned. Morey has made some brilliant moves. (and very few bad ones) everybody loved him untill a couple of weeks ago. And now more than 50% want him gone.

He is the main reason I actually have faith in our moves and drafts, before he came I counted on the rookies to fail (which they did a lot of the time). IMHo he is one of the best in the NBA.

8. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

He should have been fired after he pushed Dawson and Van Gundy to trade Gay for Battier. But ignoring that.........

So far it seems like he refuses to get a viable center. He also seems to have a strange idea that size is irrelevant to positions, especially for big men. He is constantly tinkering with the roster with trades that really don't help the team at all - just change it. He didn't appear to get along all that well with a very good coach in Adelman.

He seems to prefer stats over all else in selecting the roster. Like the Martin trade appears to have been mainly stats motivated. Sure, Martin is a great guy stats wise, but does he play D? Does he come across as a guy with heart? No. Landry on the other hand did, but his stats were not as impressive. I'm not sure that this is the best way to build a team, but Martin is a very good scorer and we have not seen how he would work out in the playoffs, so I will reserve judgement on that for now.

Some of the players seem to have issues with him over an apparent lack of professionalism and for being to impersonal. He also seems to like to play hard ball and low ball players for no logical reason or benefit. None of that ego trip nonsense is good for the team.

He also sometimes seems to simply make up nonsense and try to pass it off as "basketball knowledge", when he really does not know what he is talking about, but most of the fan base seems to usually buy into it.

For example, he is a guy that clearly likes to play the media and the fans for fools, to make himself look good. Jeff Van Gundy did the same thing and after awhile, after people catch on, that gets real old, real quick.

One of the ways I know that Morey is doing this is how he talks about Rockets assets from overseas competitions. For example, he said that David Andersen was a "center" in Europe and he signed him to be a center in the NBA and then told Adelman to use him as a center. He claimed to have watched him play center, scouted him as a center, etc...

Andersen played power forward in Europe, not center. Sure, he could play at center in Europe and did occasionally, now and then, but that was like the same thing as Scola occasionally logging minutes at center in the NBA. He never was "a center" in Europe. If anything, he would sometimes be used to spread the floor and draw a center out from the basket, but that was it. The guy was a power forward. He was considered too soft and too weak on defense and the boards to be able to play center in the Euroleague. He was not strong enough, nor physical enough to play the center position with any real regularity in the Euroleague. He was a power forward. Morey said he scouted him as a "center" and signed him for that role.........

I knew right then that Morey was full of it and was winging stuff and just tooting his own horn, and that fans were trusting him on things without knowing better.

Same example with how he talks about Sergio Llull. Everything from Morey about Llull is always, "he is playing point guard", "he is a point guard", "he is a good point guard prospect", "I like how he plays point guard", "he is a nice young point guard", etc., etc.

The only problem is that Sergio Llull is a shooting guard, not a point guard. He isn't even what you would call a combo guard. He is a shooting guard that can, if needed, bring the ball up the court, or set and call the play in the half court. That is as close as he comes to being a "point guard". He isn't even a real combo guard. He is a shooting guard that has a good handle.

The guy is shoot, shoot, shoot, drive, drive, drive, shoot, shoot, drive, drive, drive and Morey refers to him as a "point guard". His national team coach used him at shooting guard and said he was not capable of playing point guard well enough. His previous club team coach did the same and said the same. His new club coach is already following that, putting him at shooting guard as soon as the team got its point guards back from injury. Yeah, he plays point guard IF one of the team's point guards are injured. That is it. The coaches in Europe say he can't play that position well enough to be used there with any real consistency, but Morey knows better - he is a "point guard".

Morey insists that he is a "point guard". Ergo, he has never even really seriously scouted the guy. The same story with Andersen. But Morey talks, and talks, and talks to the fans and the media like he is feverishly doing all this detailed scouting of such players and makes all these statements about them that are false. Not even being able to get simple facts about them, like what position they play at right. But feeling he can get away with it (and he has so far), because he knows that 99.9% of the Rockets fan base has never in their lives even seen a Euroleague game. This tells me that Morey is lazy and is basically conning his way through certain aspects of the job.

He also really does comes across as being arrogant and smug. He talks to fans sometimes like an arrogant prick, and mocks them just for asking legit questions that he does not like for whatever reason.......

All in all, Daryl Morey has been an average NBA General Manager so far and the Rockets are probably going to be stuck in mediocrity as long as he is running the team. But maybe he will improve as he gains more experience.

9. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

How on god's green earth dies his philosophy of "developing" TWill and Thabeet and Jordan Hill with major minutes on the court get us to the 8th seed next year? If his plan/goal was to make the playoffs, why get rid of Adelman? Morey plans to lose for a couple of years, and lose royally. You a delusional if you think they fired Adelman so they could win more games next year.

10. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

MandM's, agreeing with you btw

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

Call me delusional, but IMHO this is exactly why they did it. Who brought RA here again in the first place? Wasn't it Les/DM? As DM said, they are 3 for 3 in excellent coaches. There's a high chance they'll be 4 for 4.

12. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

The DLeague, the practice court, and garbage time are times and places for player development. Not the game floor. You can't ojt your way to a championship. You play to win! Next year, all of you complaining about mediocrity will be begging for it.

Remember the '06 season? That's where we would have been this year without Adelman. That's where we will be next year. The are no major trades coming to make us better. Dwight Howard ain't walkin through that door. If the plan was to make the team better, you keep a great coach. Any trades made now will be for 5 years from now and not today. Bout to be a fire sale in HTown. I'm talking biblical. Like kevin Martin + Scola for your 2014 1st round pick and one of your DLeague scrubs and the "rights" to one of your European players.

13. inishi

inishi Member

sadly that coach won't be nearly as good as Rick. Great offensive system and a solid defensive coach, plus his players love playing for him and he has finals experience. Dumb move by les. And now he is making Morey look like a joke too.

14. Outlier

Outlier Member

Dumbest post ever in the history of Clutchfans, by OHMSS.

Is this guy Rockets Dynasty? Seems like it.

15. Raven

Raven Member

I don't think there will be a fire sale, especially with Martin who is just entering his prime.

16. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

Well Morey said out of his own mouth, "Philosophical Differences". To me, this means Rick wants to win, and Morey wants to rebuild. If you are rebuilding, and if Morey is worth his salary, he knows that a Prime Kevin Martin does him no good in the next 2-3 years. When you rebuild, you get projects, in hopes that they hit their prime all at the same time. What good would an over the hill Kevin Martin (or Scola for that matter) do us when PatPat and Hill hit their primes? It would be a flip flop of last year, and we would wind up with the same record.

I think Morey's goal is 5 young studs, play them together for 5 years, and hope they improve every year. I disagree, but this is the only way I can rationalize his thinking and give him the benefit of the doubt. That said, i think it was a bad move to get rid of Rick. I still maintain that this team was a 40 year old Deke away from winning 55 games. Why blow it up? Why fire a HOF coach unless you intend to blow it up?

17. Vivaelsueno

Vivaelsueno Member

Definitely not Morey. It was Clyde who sold Les on the idea. It was also endorsed by JVG. So typical of Morey to take credit for good things and blame others for his mistakes.

18. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I believe in Daryl Morey... period.

His moves have worked a lot more than they have not... a lot more often than not.

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Before Rick left... I'd be really torn on this.

Now that Rick is gone... I'm 100% behind Daryl.

For better or worse, we ride together, we die together.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

In the end DM will be treated just like he treats the players, as an asset.

Either his plan works, or he gets fired.

The honeymoon is over, IMO. I think he gets this one more shot with his coach.

My guess, is to Les, they are all assets.

DD