1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Texans (reportedly) love Patrick Peterson

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Egghead, Apr 18, 2011.

1. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Saying that the Texans love Patrick Peterson isn't saying all that much. Every team that has even thought about taking a cornerback loves Patrick Peterson. He's going to go in the top five, though, and the Texans have enough defensive needs that I don't want to see them give up later picks to move up to get him.

2. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Aldon Smith looks very unimpressive, Prince looks only "okay", Quinn looks good- from a year ago+, but a total risk...

I say we move up and drop picks to do so...Peterson looks bonafide rare good, that is what we need...Everybody wants to win now, so do it...

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I love the idea of mortgaging our future for the sake of giving some lame duck coach in the last year of his contract one last chance to prove himself.

Hell, even *if* Gary goes 10-6 and makes the playoffs, he will *still* have a credibility gap he needs to fill the following year.

One good year out of six does not a successful coach make.

God, I just managed to depress myself again.

Sigh... let's go five-n-seveners...

4. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Kubiak's contract runs through the end of the 2012 season. He and Smith are only "lame ducks" if you assume they'll be fired if they fail to make the playoffs for a 6th consecutive year.

5. XBLRocketman111

XBLRocketman111 Contributing Member

I believe if u have the chance and the assets to move up and get a player the caliber of patrick peterson, you have to do it.

I understand we are hurting in other areas and could use the extra picks but to get a young Franchise CB, which are not easy to come by, is a no brainer in my book.

gotta give a little to get a little, and this franchise needs a franchise CB.

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

At some point we actually DO need to stop perpetually thinking about the future and go all-in to try and win some games. Our core of good players are not exactly spring chickens with their whole careers ahead of them.

Matt Schaub - 29
    Andre Johnson -29
    Owen Daniels - 28
    Vonta Leach -29
    Mario Williams - 26
    Antonio Smith - 29
    DeMeco Ryans - 26
    Antwaun Molden - 26

Okay, that last one was a joke, but you get the point. Our 2 best players (AJ and Mario) both played through nagging injuries all last year. Daniels and Ryans are both coming off major injuries.

I think we DO need to win NOW, but not because of the lame duck coach. We need to do it because of the players. We've been "building for the future" for almost a decade now with nothing but a bunch of 5-7 seasons to show for it. Our window of opportunity is going to be over before we know it.

#46 ima_drummer2k, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I thought after 9-7, he signed a two year contract which replaced the one that ended after the 2010 season, thus effectively extending him one year beyond his original contract term.

And things just keep getting worse for DonnyMost. :(

[​IMG]

8. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

If Quinn was out due to a season ending injury, then I'd agree he's a risk. But the fact that he's still a Top 10 pick despite not playing last season shows what type of prospect he is. Quinn at #11 would be incredible value for a high potential player at a position of need.

As far as trading up for PP, while we definitely need a good CB to man the secondary, we also need a NT, OLB, FS, and DE depth. I don't think one player, no matter how elite, is going turn the defense right around. We just have too many holes to fill IMO.

9. XBLRocketman111

I agree with the holes but if you have the chance to get one of the highest rated corners coming out in the draft EVER, I dont think you can pass that up. I Really dont think other teams will pass on patterson even for the picks.
    Glover Quin moves to Safety will help to select peterson. I am not big on NT or DT in the NFL, I believe they are there to stop the Run and we dnt need a first pick on NT see Okoye and Travis Johnson, too much risk to early for hardly an impact on the game.

DE depth is ok Ogunleye and mark anderson were nice fill-ins not sure if they are staying with the team moving forward. Connor barwin is gonna be a DE/OLB which we can use for depth at both positions. Our Linebacking core when healthy is very strong. Of course cush and Demeco are a constant, Diles has grown by leaps and bounds. Sharper and Adibi are very versatile. I could see us using a 3rd or 4th pick on a LB.

Which leaves CB the biggest concern in my book. Jason allen played well for the texans, if you can get peterson on the other side we would be solid with Jackson and Mccain. dnt sleep on Mcmanis either, played very well and could see him transition to safety as well.

I didnt like the jackson pick then or now I believe Mccourty was the one the texans should have taking the but the look for the hiddens Gems to ofter instead of taking the Obvious pick.

10. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ever? Did you forget about this guy?
    [​IMG]

I wouldnt be too high on the LBs though. I think they are solid if they still used the 4-3 but with the 3-4 they texans do need some more athleticism and speed.

11. XBLRocketman111

Hey I said ONE of the Highest Rated not THE highest lol!

The linebakcing core is very versatile and atheletic with the exception of Adibi. Cushing and Ryans are both quick and can go boundary to boundary. Diles was that player in '09 til he broke his leg he is kinda suspect now as far as sideline to sideline.

Barwin coming back will only give us more versatility but like i said I believ the can get a guy they like that fits the system in the 3rd or 4th.

12. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

read to fast, i thought i read "the best".

the problem is that ryans and Barwin are coming of major injuries and barwin is still highly unproven. He showed glimpses but hardly enough to put all your money on.

I do like adibi and diles but those guys are not ideal to be both starting on the outside at LB.

LB is a big need and it's much easier to get an impact player in his first year at LB than it is at CB.

13. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I'm going to be fascinated to watch how far they take this "build through the draft" philosophy. In 2006, it was absolutely, positively the right way to go. But at some point... IT'S BUILT! You can't keep adding stories to the house; you need to start decorating the darn thing.

I'm more and more fearing they take "building through the draft" literally and will see it to the end. (sigh)

(ima, Vacation, btw; not Animal House)

14. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I think it was literally an extension of the original deal. All the articles reported it as going through 2012. McNair actually wanted to extend him through 2013 or later but Kubes refused because he wanted it to end the same time as Smith and the other coaches.

15. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I don't think this is surprising. Peterson is an incredible player and a can't-miss prospect at the Texans' worst position. The more interesting thing would be if they'd pick Amukamara, who's also a can't-miss prospect, but not quite at the level of Peterson, if Peterson's not available. (And whether they'd trade up for him if necessary.)

16. XBLRocketman111

Barwin is unproven but u can get quality at the linebacker position later in the draft than you can a CB. If they want to move up and get Von Miller, I am ok with that too. As long as your getting a playmaker and that is what these guys are. I dont think we can afford to settle for mediocre draft picks. whcih is what u get with the 11th pick . I say mediocre for our needs not as a player, unless someone falls...

Which i really think alot of QB's will go earlier than expected leaving players to fall but not PP or VM. Akumara is another Kareem Jackson. The guy is a tremendous athlete but it not sound in his technique and plays more off instict. which is a toss up in my book. As much as everyone thinks we not to get Quinn From NC. I have my reservations about that guy as well. Playmakers ala Julio jones, VM, Patrick Peterson and Newton even AJ green are gonna be hard for teams to pass up. Take as an example of DEZ BRYANT, how many teams passed on that kid, amazing talent, all im saying if a playmaker is there you have to go get him dont settle.

17. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Gotta disagree on this point. Games are won in the trenches IMO and while NT/DT need to stop the run, a good defense needs pressure up the middle. If you're lacking that, offenses are going to have field days on you (see last season).

While Okoye and TJ have been busts, look at some of the better DTs in the NFL and what they do for their respective teams. Pat/Kevin Williams, Haynesworth (Tenn version), Vince Wilfork, Haloti Ngata, Jay Ratliff, B.J Raji, etc...All these guys anchor the defense and while it doesn't always show up in the box score, they're as important as any other player on their defenses IMO.

I would completely agree with this if we were still running a 4-3. But a successful 3-4 defense is predicated on having a stout NT along with a pass-rushing OLB. Barwin will likely be our best pass-rushing OLB but his overall LB skills are questionable (along with his injury recovery) and we did not tender Diles. But I agree that OLB isn't the biggest need as of right now, but if Wade thinks there is a Ware-type player in the draft, I would think that's the direction we'll go.

18. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

like a lot

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9IAeJSKh3UI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I would like to see Bryce McCain run that drill and count how many times he falls down.

20. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

mccain would hurt himself. Kareem Jackson would fall down