1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

90 Deputies Laid off in Pct. 4

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by XBLRocketman111, Mar 24, 2011.

1. XBLRocketman111

XBLRocketman111 Contributing Member

http://www.khou.com/news/local/Harris-County-Precinct-4-announces-layoffs-118538969.html

90 deputies cut from Harris County Precinct 4

by Shern-Min Chow / 11 News
    khou.com
    Posted on March 23, 2011 at 5:22 PM

Updated today at 9:20 AM

HOUSTON – Harris County Precinct 4 is cutting 97 jobs, Constable Ron Hickman announced Wednesday afternoon.

"Because of the current budget crisis, our budget reduction requires we reduce over $7 million in expenditures," Hickman said.

Ninety Harris County Precinct 4 Deputy Constables are out of a job. The other positions are clerical.

One sergeant said he had been busted back down to a deputy. He said that was his only choice if he wanted to keep a job.

Precinct 4 had already instituted an across-the-board 3-percent pay reduction and reduced vehicle and operating expenses prior to the layoffs.

They’d also canceled their service contract with Cy-Fair ISD, Tomball ISD and the Harris County Department of Education, none of which has its own police department. About two weeks ago, the schools were given a 30-day notice that Precinct 4 would no longer provide campus patrols.

On Wednesday night, deputies were being called in and let go. Several turned in their access keys in the parking lot and went home.

11 News asked Hickman if there was anyway this doesn’t affect safety.

“Logically, no. Functionally, that’s my job,” he replied candidly.

One deputy said it was like a funeral Wednesday night. Hickman echoed the sentiment.

“Facing people, some who I know very well, and have worked with for 20 years, telling them they don’t have a job tomorrow is toughest thing,” he said.

Hickman said the actual impact the layoffs will have on the precinct’s ability to provide service to its constituents was still unclear. He said many of those questions will be answered once the precinct has an opportunity to adjust and reorganize.

"It is with great regret that we affect schools and communities who have contributed greatly to both this department and our area," Hickman said. "This is an agonizing decision, but these are difficult times and all of us must tighten our belts to adjust."

Prior to the layoffs, Hickman had a staff of 415 employees.

I know alot of people dont like cops. I was one of these 90 let go. Its sad to see so many friends and fellow officers that fight next to you go home to a family and explain why they no longer have a job.

Pct. 4 was the biggest Constables agency in Texas and everybody that knows anything about Pct. 4 knows they are more than constables.

Its sad that the comissioner's court would make such a dramatic cut back. Epersol is very crooked and he shows it once again.

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

A lot of people don't realize that EVERY corner of Texas government is going to have cuts this year, with billions of dollars in shortfall. It's going to get nasty.

I never did understand why Houston had so many law enforcement agencies. Constables, sherrifs, DPS, local cops, etc. It may save money to consolidate them all (got to be billions in redundant jobs with each agency).

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

At this point . . . . I am beginning to wonder. . .Where the ***** did all the money go????

Rocket River

4. Xerobull

Can't answer that, but the brass knew it was coming for a few years. We had a bailout last year from the US Government of several billion dollars.

5. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

funny, I know of an apartment complex close to 45 North and Rankin, where Precinct 4 cops patrol (while they are off duty) and they wear their uniform and get paid by the apartment complex for extra money on the side.

6. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Sorry to hear that XBL. Hope you find something soon.

7. XBLRocketman111

Yes its called an extra job sir. I believe u meant to say you used to know an apartment complex...

8. Scionxa

didn't mean to make it seem like the situation is funny. As much as I hate cops, I can respect you guys for what you do on the daily.

9. Scionxa

Nope,
    Heading north on 45, exit rankin go all the way down past the St. James cabaret, and after the crappy "King Fuels" gas station there's an apartment complex.

There are two police officers, two white males every night in a golf cart wearing their precinct 4 uniforms. No cop cars in sight. They drive in their golf cart and walk around the complex most of the night.

10. XBLRocketman111

LOL ok so my point was they just laid off 90 people last night. Soooo they did work there prolly not anymore lol

You cant work any extra jobs if your not employed by an agency.

11. Scionxa

Oh damn, that sucks ass man. Hope you find a job soon. Aren't constables automatic fill ins for school cops jobs like Spring I.S.D? idk, if they pay well or anything lol

12. Xerobull

XBL- I didn't even realize that you were cut. My condolences. I know you'll land on your feet.

I'm a TX government employee and in the cross-hairs too.

13. XBLRocketman111

Most constables yes... Pct. 4 works hand in hand with HPD and HCSO unlike the rest of the constable departments in houston.

14. XBLRocketman111

I will try man but realistically no agencies are hiring right now. They are still trying to cut more people.

2 positions that everyone thought would be safe.. Is teachers and cops but unfortunately that isnt the case anymore.

15. mrdave543

mrdave543 Contributing Member

Sorry to hear about this, hope everything works out for you and your family.

16. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

why is it that whenever cuts are made, its always education or law enforcement?? or is it that these are the most impactful thus we hear about it more?

17. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Look who's been our Governor for too ****ing long. The guy is a moron. Why he keeps getting re-elected is beyond belief.

18. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

I've read that politicians always cut the stuff we need so they can justify raising taxes, but don't look at cutting the behind the scenes shady sweetheart deals given to companies\people that contributed to their campaign. The public generally has no idea how their local government even works or does. Just look at the scandal in where the city council of some small city in southern California paid themselves exorbitant amounts of money for administering a tiny city.

19. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

after all the possible bare-bones cuts have been made to essential services (ie teachers, law enforcement, trash collection, etc), next in line will be the municipal bondholders......such as those who have financed local sports arenas. they are not getting their money back.

20. bigballerj

bigballerj Member

The top 1-2% of people in the world have it. We're just fighting for table scraps at this point.