1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Why Kyle Lowry could become the next Aaron Brooks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

See, if these things are true, then theoretically you wouldn't have to package a LOT more with Lowry in order to get a Paul or Williams. And the impact of getting a Paul is significant -- on the court maybe you don't feel it's as significant, but marketing, ticket sales, attractiveness of the franchise, future roster moves -- it has a big impact.

Fortunately I used that phrase late in the article :) Thanks though, 'Pimp. It's a slim shot... nothing I would count on. But you get one superstar, and maybe (just <I>maaaybe</I>), Yao comes back next year and doesn't go peanut brittle within the first 5 games.

2. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

If we get CP3, I am willing to bet that RA will stay on board and who knows, maybe the pair would exceed. CP3 is a perfect PG for RA's system, a quick, good shooting, high IQ PG who can make the smart pass. CP3 is also a scorer and when the game is on the line, be able to take over and push through RA's inevitable idle moments.

DWill would also be a crazy good match as RA seems the type to offer more creative freedom in his motion offense for veterans.

Of course both of those guys are pipe dreams and I honestly would be totally fine with Lowry. To me, Lowry is like Kidd lite, but currently a better shooter. For his salary at his production? I am totally cool if he does stay and we move say Scola or Martin.

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Lowry is my favorite player on the Rockets. Has been for some time (Yao Ming aside). However I would easily give up Lowry for Chris Paul or Deron Williams. As good as Lowry is, as gritty as he is, he just is not at that elite level that Paul or Williams are. That elite level brings you a different player come playoff time and closing games and it is the element that the Rockets need to take the next step.

1 person likes this.
  4. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Paul/Williams may be better than Lowry, but they're not worth 3 times what Lowry makes. Paying that money to a distributor is absurd.

5. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Lowry/Scola/Patterson/Hill/2011 first rounder for Rubio/Love/Randolph/Pekovic.

6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Why do you want to make us worse and pretty much cripple our franchise?

7. jopatmc

Rubio/Dragic
    Martin/Lee
    Budinger/Williams
    Pekovic/Yao/Thabeet/Miller
    Love/Hayes
    2011 top of second round

You think that is franchise crippling?

Love is the best player in the scenario by far. And Rubio will be a top 5 PG in the NBA.

8. BrotherFish

BrotherFish Contributing Member

I am against trading Kyle for anyone. The only issue was his 3 point shooting. I recall hearing that his teammates saying that he is the best shooter in scrimmages. IMO, his shooting form is pretty solid and with a lot more repetitions, he can easily be a consistent 40% shooter—ala Jason Kid.

Now, the reasons why I would not trade him. He embodies everything I loved about the gritty 94/95 Rockets championship teams. He reminds me of:

1. Mario Ellie (bulldog mentality)

2. Sam Cassel (confidence and boldness)

3. Chucky Brown(dismissed/underrated)

4. Robert Horry (I know you didn't just leave me open? and you didn’t think I could rebound?)

5. Hakeem (Heart of a Champion)

JMHO, but there you have it. Kyle has too much value for the time being to be traded.

(Also, there has to be reason why the "DEEP BLUE" selected him as the # 1 pick in the draft.;))

1 person likes this.
  9. Wolfpack101

Wolfpack101 Member

Williams and Paul are not just distributors, they are also great scorers (especially Williams). Just look at the difference Williams has made with New Jersey and look at Utah without him. Williams is a franchise changer, Lowry is still just a good starter. If I knew I could sign Williams to an extension I would easily give up Lowry + other young talent.

10. jopatmc

This makes a lot of sense to me. I would think if nothing else materializes that Morey leaves the light on for this to take place.

11. jopatmc

Granger would be a nice add. But I don't consider him a franchise player. A step below, but nice in tandem with Martin. I'd like to have him but not at the cost of the majority of our assets that would prevent us from going after the true superstars. At this point, I'd rather have Derrick Williams......and he may be more gettable and a lot cheaper. I'm convinced he is going to become a franchise player as a small forward. I'm convinced he's a young Melo Anthony without the ballhogging tendacies and the bad shots with more aggression to the rim and a bigger winner. I think he's going to be better than Melo.

The combo of Love/Rubio would yield us at least one superstar if somehow we could pull off a huge trade for them both. Love is a superstar. He's got the brains, the talent, the drive. He's got the whole package. Ultra efficient like Kevin. Huge floor spacer, big shot maker, and a rebounding demon. He's a superstar. And the thing with Love is he is going into his last year before he is restricted. Minny is horrible. There is no end in sight for them. Love hates losing. I think they could wind up having to use the franchise tag, if that is indeed a part of the new CBA, to keep him there. And then again, that leads me to my next premis. IF there is a franchise tag in the new CBA, Minny can only franchise one guy. And the other guy that should be franchised is Rubio. And they can't even get him to sign his rookie deal. Under the current CBA, he's marching towards free agency after another season if he doesn't sign to play there.

Rubio, while a lot of people here have doubts, is a franchise maker also. And the thing is, Rubio's trade value is slowly seeping away on Minnesota because he hasn't signed there. It's obvious he doesn't want to play there. I will be shocked if he comes over and plays for them if they don't trade him. And with his trade value going lower and lower, it seems to present an opportunity for us.

While I would love to have either Paul or DWill, I actually feel these two guys will be the hardest to obtain. I love leebig's idea of saving up for DWill and Dwight but I just feel like that is a longshot compared to getting a deal done with Minny for Love and/or Rubio or trading up to get Derrick Williams or Kyrie Irving.

Somebody mentioned Monta Ellis. Interesting player. I always liked watching him. Great scorer with great quickness. But up until this season I considered him not on the superstar level, not good defensively, and too inefficient offensively. However, this season his game has come up a notch. But it still doesn't translate to wins in Golden State. Monta's your classic tweener. I just don't know. Perhaps under Adelman playing the point alongside Martin, he'd go through the roof. But I just don't see it. It'd would be Brooks/Martin part II. So, then you have to move Martin and play Ellis at the 2 and I don't know if that makes us any better. Martin is to SG what Granger is to SF, just a notch below the best in the league. That's why I go back to upgrading Scola's spot. Get younger and step up the efficiency at the spot with a player like Love.

12. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't want Paul or Williams, at all.

I would rather put talent together and take back bad salary to try and acquire high draftpicks to go with Chase Budinger and Patrick Patterson.

13. herro

herro Member

Lowry is flat out better than Brooks.

Lowry is flat out better than the majority of starting PG's in the NBA. He needs to be a Rocket for a long, long time.

14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

love makes sense, but what on earth gives you the ability to classify a non-proven player to that degree over someone that is?

15. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

:eek:...

16. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

what?

17. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Call me a liar, but I called out the Miami debacle right when I heard about it. The pieces overlap to a great degree, you don't want that happening with superstar players. Conversly, the boston case was completely different. You have a versatile wing, paired with one of the best shooters of all time/ off the ball player, and a dominant big. Even though Ray Ray and Pierce are primetime wings, they impact the game in completely different ways. Garnett also brought them the ability to become a defensive powerhouse and set the foundation for their perimeter defense, some of the best the league has ever seen.

Don't be too quick to shoot down two very diff scenarios. Its not the acquisition of the superstar players, but specifically who they are and who they're paired with.

18. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

And any time a team makes the finals twice, almost 3 times actually (injury reason), you can't use them as a negative to support your argument.

19. vince

vince Member

Brooks was a good player. He still is a good player. But it seems he has issues. He thinks he deserves his place in life - and think one good season should secure his financial future for life.

Lowry, Hayes, Scola are litterally inspiring players to watch. These guys earn every minute they play. They are legit team players. I haven't seen them sulk when the coach plays them less.

You see them on the bench jumping up for joy for their teammates. Whatever the coach decides their role is.

Unfortunately, I think Brooks got discouraged because he couldn't get the Rockets to offer him a "comfortable for life contract" this past off season. It basically said, Brooks didn't want to earn his money. He's proven it, he is having a bad season.

The trend continues. Ex Rocket players who get out of town only to play at a level below what they were playing under Adelman.

I sure hope that Adelman comes back to the Rockets.