1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

comparing the 2008 rotation post yao vs. current rotation

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by underrated015, Mar 2, 2011.

Tags:
  1. underrated015

underrated015 Member

As you know rockets fans, past two games brought back memories of the team that played post yao in the 08 season and did some incredible things. Which team has an overall athleticism and toughness?

2. ThaShark316_28

player for player is easier...and going by AT THAT TIME

PG - Alston vs. Lowry (At THAT time...Skip was playing like a damn all-star, or something close to it. I'll go Rafer here.)
    SG - McGrady vs. Martin
    SF - Battier vs. Budinger
    PF -Rookie Scola vs. Vet Scola
    C - Mutombo vs. Hayes

Bench:

Landry, Hayes, Brooks, Jackson, Novak, Head, Harris vs.

Lee, Dragic, Patterson, Hill, Miller, Williams

2008 team was way tougher, however, not as athletic I don't think.

3. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

Stopped reading when Alston was bolded...

4. chadyang

chadyang Member

5. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

6. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

Sorry, shooting .370 from the floor while taking double digit shots per game is only "all-star" level in the D-League.

Besides he's talking about the playoff team with Brooks starting...

Anyway, I'd rather have Patterson and Lee than Landry.

7. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Its obvious this team is more athletic, however 2008 was more tougher IMO.

But that team (post Yao) was way better team, than this current roster. I mean McGrady was playing near a MVP level, and Alston was playing out of his mind for that period in time. Mutumbo was also a much better team defender then Chuck, and he could actually protect the paint(despite his age).

8. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

mutombo was a better shot blocker, not defender. chuck has routinely shut down 4's and 5's on a constant basis for years. mutombo was great at blocking shots and changed the landscape of our defense from a rim protection standpoint but theres no way he is an all around better defender than hayes.

9. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I'd take this Martin over McGrady that year. McGrady was on the downslope during the season and turned into a passer. Passing still won games but genius man decided the world revolved around his offense. Martin is smarter than that. I trust that he'd still do what works on the next stage.

10. ThaShark316_28

He said 08...ask him...lol so I went with the 22 win streak squad.

and about Rafer/Kyle...I was torn...now if its 2009...(which would have been the correct term) then we have a different convo.

11. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

If we didnt have scola and had motumbo i would enjoy a Motumbo/hayes front court for what you mentioned

12. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

So what does Martin do that's better than Tracy besides shooting? Tracys numbers in the playoffs are up there with some of the greats. I can't believe some people. Of course passing wins games, especially when your constantly doubled. Mcgrady was better in 08 defensively, better rebounder, passer, playmaker and just a smarter basketball player in general. There is no way in the world Kevin would have led us to that many wins.

13. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Considering that Martin has never been to the playoffs as the leader of a team, I am going to agree with this.

14. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

McGrady was great at the end of that season. He was flirting with triple doubles pretty much every game. No way I'd take Martin over him.

I might take the guys around Martin right now, though... with the exception of maybe Budinger. Battier was knocking down 3-pointers like it was nobody's freaking business at the end of that season.

15. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

Agreed. Also with Martin at the two...and bud at the three to provide the scoring punch.

16. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Skip was playing well but he is not playing at the level Kyle Lowry is playing at right now. You have to remember, Skip had a lot of open jumpers due to McGrady assists. But anyway, Ill take Lowry over Skip any day. He's a much better player and his intensity is unmatched

Hayes and Mutombo both brings different things to the table. While Deke was a great shot blocker and protected the rim well, Hayes is doing a amazing job while standing at 6'6. His defense is much better even though he doesn't block many shots like Deke. Hayes's game is more well-rounded than Deke. So I take Lowry and Hayes over Skip and Mutombo.

17. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

2008 post-Yao team was tougher.
    2011 team is more athletic.

PG. Rafer Alston < Kyle Lowry
    SG. Tracy McGrady = Kevin Martin
    SF. Shane Battier >= Chase Budinger
    PF. Luis Scola < Luis Scola
    C. Dikembe Mutombo >>> Brad Miller (for the sake of Hayes' comparison)

Bench:
    PG. Aaron Brooks < Goran Dragic
    SG. Bobby Jackson << Courtney Lee
    SF. Mike Harris > Terrence Williams
    PF.Carl Landry = Patrick Patterson
    C. Chuck Hayes < Chuck Hayes

3rd string:
    Steve Novak > Jordan Hill
    Bonzi Wells > Nobody
    Luther Head = Nobody

2008:
    +Top notch defense.
    +TMac = All Star.
    -Piss poor offense.

2011:
    +Top notch offense.
    +More talent overall, but no All Star caliber.
    +Young
    +Much better bench.
    ~Defense was piss poor but it's getting better.

18. HoustonN06

HoustonN06 Member