1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Great news for HSFans]Howard Stern in 5-Year Deal With Sirius XM

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by lewzhy, Dec 9, 2010.

1. lewzhy

lewzhy Member

:grin:
    http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory?id=12353536

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Howard Stern will be shocking Sirius XM Radio Inc listeners for at least five more years, news that pushed the satellite radio company's shares up more than 6 percent.

Under a new contract announced on Thursday, Stern will be broadcasting until December 31, 2015, and the shock jock's content will be available for the first time on mobile devices, Sirius XM said in a statement.

Stern's previous five-year, $500 million contract with Sirius XM Radio expires this month, and investors had been concerned that subscribers would abandon the service if he were to move on.

One estimate says Stern brought 1.2 million subscribers aboard when he joined the service, which now reaches 20 million.

No other terms of the new contract were disclosed.

Stern, who often swears on air and features adult content on his show, is famous for shocking audiences. He was fined several times when he was on terrestrial radio.

Analysts said investors can now breathe easier that Stern's future has been settled.

"It's been a cloud over Sirius XM this year," said Lazard Capital Markets analyst Barton Crockett.

The full impact on Sirius XM will not be clear until more details of the new contract come to light, analysts said.

"The question is what kind of package was put together?" said Maxim Group analyst John Tinker.

Sirius XM has stated that its programing costs would continue to fall year-over-year, and Wall Street is hoping Stern will receive less under the new deal.

Crockett estimates that Stern will get $80 million a year in cash, the same amount he makes now, but not the $100 million in stock over five years that he had previously received.

Stern first announced that he had reached an agreement with Sirius XM on his morning show and on his website.

Sirius XM said last week it had struck a new contract with the National Football League to broadcast games until 2016 and stream the play-by-play online.

Much of the subscriber growth comes from buyers of new cars that have the radios installed. Customers then sign up for the service when the promotions end.

Sirius XM is also home to programs by Oprah Winfrey and Major League Baseball. It has posted four straight quarters of profit and is steadily adding subscribers, distancing itself from years of huge losses and questions about its business model.

Sirius XM shares were 6.5 percent at $1.40 on Nasdaq.

(Reporting by Liana Baker; Editing by Derek Caney and Lisa Von Ahn)

Copyright 2010 Reuters News Service. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

2. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

$500 mil for 5 years?? That's Tiger Woods money. Ballin!!

3. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Why the hell to they still call it Sirius XM? Pick one and go with it. Sounds ghey othewise.

4. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

that is just an insane amount of money...i don't get it...

5. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

what's not to get? Howard easily pays for himself with his followers.

it's estimated to be more like $400... i think. They said he didnt get the stock options that he got before but he does have bonuses.

You never know with these contracts... the reported number is usually higher than actual.

6. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

The prank they played on Sal after he arrived late, with Howard fake announcing he was leaving and Sal breaking down...

Priceless!!! :grin:

This new flexible schedule means he'll probably only be working 3 days a week now with even more vacation. Oh well, just glad I still get to listen to Howard in the mornings for another 5 years!

7. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

surpised the Yankees didnt outbid them for him to broadcast their games...

8. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Still wish Artie would return. The show isn't even the same without him.

9. Fatty FatBastard

The only time I listened to Stern was when a friend of mine posted a conversation online with a mutual friend of ours. She called in to b**** about Stern not keeping the audience updated on Artie's condition, and he started screaming at her with F-bombs and trying to cancel her Sirius membership. He also said she sounded like a seal and I think they hit the seal button about 15 times.

He simply isn't funny, feels he's a god, and I can't imagine anyone being able to listen to that above the age of 15.

10. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

in ur opinion

in the world of radio, he is

there would be 20 million plus people that wholeheartedley can

11. Fatty FatBastard

20 million is laughably delusional.

Try a couple hundred thousand.

Here. I googled this for ya.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-10262493-47.html

12. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

HOO HOO, I invented everything,

TELL 'EM ROBIN.

13. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

I remeber that call. She deserved ever bit and more of what Howard gave her. It's just tacky, trashy and classless to demand (not ask) for an update about something personal to Artie and his family, especially when they requested to keep it quiet.

14. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

So you've only listened to him one time for about 1 minute, during which time he insulted you're friend for being ridiculous and you can deduce that he isn't funny at all, thinks he's god and isnt funny?

impressive.

15. Fatty FatBastard

My ex wife would watch that ridiculous show he had on E a decade ago. I've heard enough. Of course if you think calling someone "pig vomit" is sheer genius, or that showing up as fartman at an award show is hilarious, well, to each their own.

16. updawg

updawg Member

Son of the Beach?

That show was great

17. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

My only concern is whether or not Sirius XM is generating the revenue to justify that kind of a pay package.

18. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Glad to hear it. Not because I listen to Stern, but because him being on board means SiriusXM isn't going anywhere. I can't imagine ever going back to FM.

19. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Does he still do all the nasty stuff on the air?