1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 4, 2010.

1. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

sheeeesh......Yanks went to 7 years for lee.....crazy

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Read an article this morning where Nolan was lamenting that he might have to "break rules" to get to 6 years....no way they match 7.

EDIT:

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=5902103

Texas Rangers president Nolan Ryan was told of the Yankees' going to seven years on ESPN's "Mike and Mike in the Morning" Thursday morning.

"We have to be concerned about that because seven years for any contract is really stretching it out," he said. "And I don't know how you predict how anyone is performing six or seven years from now."

Ryan didn't say that seven years exceeded the Rangers' limit, but he did say: "Everything has a ceiling that they have to understand what it is. And it doesn't make economic sense after a certain threshold."

Ryan was asked to guage his team's chances in light of the latest development.

"Well you know if the reports that are coming out are true, obviously that makes it more challenging for us," he said. "We're scheduled to meet with them [Lee's representatives] again, hopefully today."

3. NJRocket

Wow....i wonder what the Yanks are gonna offer Pujols next yr...

4. sccdct34

sccdct34 Member

Not as crazy as giving an average 32 yr old outfielder a 7 year deal like the Nats did. At least with pitchers, especially a precision left hander, can be effective close to 40 years old.. ala Tom Glavine.

5. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I'd be surprised if the Rangers go seven but the Angels are desperate after losing out on Crawford, they might bite.

6. NJRocket

or they could blow their arm out and end up analyzing the world series for fox by the age of 37

7. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

He had a sub-4.00 ERA the prior two seasons. The 6.75 era is much more disconcerting than the 1-10 record. Determination of W/L's depends little on the pitcher; especially Mariners pitchers. Felix Hernandez won the Cy Young with a 13-12 record.

8. sccdct34

sccdct34 Member

They can definitly do that too.

9. NJRocket

the thing is.....teams like the Yanks and Sox dont care....the wasted $ doesnt matter as long as they get 2-3 seasons out of them

10. rockets934life

More rule 5 talk...

zacharylevine Astros tried to trade up to get RH fireballer Elvin Ramirez in Rule 5 but couldn't and he went to the Nationals.

11. NJRocket

sure wish we would have sold the team by now....this offseason sucks. even tho they have sucked in the past, there was at least some hope that we may make a big splash...

12. Buck Turgidson

FWIW, BA likes what the Stros did:

Nice pick by the #Astros taking Aneury Rodriguez from the Rays. For better or worse, he immediately becomes one of their better prospects

Like what the Astros, Twins, Mets, Yankees did in the Rule 5. Not sure I understand the first few picks

13. Buck Turgidson

There was? Never got an inkling from Crawford St. that there was anything major in the works this offseason.

14. rockets934life

I read that too, Jim Callis is ALWAYS hard on the Stros, and really most clubs, so it's good to see him praising something we do.

I was excepting little movement but when I heard Kepp and Lindstrom were looking to be dealt, kind of got my hopes up that we may get a new SS but doesn't look that way. It also looks like they want a dirt cheap #5 and not even willing to do a Brett Myers type deal so that limits what they can do.

Lot of time to go in the winter and players often get released or become available after the meetings so never know what might happen.

15. NJRocket

i meant in previous offseasons

16. rockets934life

zacharylevine #Astros come to terms with free agent pitcher Ryan Rowland-Smith, pending medical. Story to come on Chron.com

As pointed out above, pretty bad last year but had two solid seasons before that. I guess they are hoping Arnsberg can fix him and get him back on track. He will be 28 on opening day so not young but not old, I imagine it cost them very little.

17. NJRocket

sad day when a 7 ERA guy who pitches in a ballpark the size of a small island is news.... :(

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Average? Werth had an ops over 900 last year. That isn't even close to average.

As for the Ryan Rowland-Smith signing, I really like that deal if it's low cost. He's got a chance to be good in the NL.

19. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I love seeing the team active in the rule 5 draft, and seeing them pick up Rowland-Smith.

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

He was horrible this year in limited innings but showed promise in limited innings the three years prior. The walks are high, but that might be correctable particularly in the NL.