1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Messi

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by No Worries, Nov 18, 2010.

Tags:
  1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Great play from Messi ...

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aO16K0e3Y1k?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aO16K0e3Y1k?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

The slo-mo replay shows the greatness.

Enjoy

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

He aimed through the legs, that was not a coincidence. Truly a great player.

(Still, we beat them 4-0 at the world cup :p.)

3. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

that was nice. and while it required some luck (between the defenders legs?), im sure it takes amazing skills to accomplish that moving away from the goal and kicking it with your left leg.

don't know anything about soccer, but messi reminds me a little bit of s. tendulkar in cricket. great career and all time great, but has he accomplished anything internationally?

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Wasn't going to start a thread because it was a friendly, but the kids the US put out yesterday against South Africa in Cape Town gave me some real hope for the future. 17 year old Juan Agudelo scored a very nice goal for the 1-0 win (youngest ever to score for the US). The goal came off a pass from Mikkel Diskerud. There was creativity and movement. I was very impressed with just about all except the 2 vets in the field...Findley and Bornstein.

Neither should see any more national team time, period. I'm not sure I'd ask Findley to play on my O-30 indoor team. He has 0 touch, 0 sense of where he should be at any given time, and 0 sense of how to play the game at that level. Other than great speed, he is just not a good soccer player.

Bornstein might be doubling as a CB for the Texans. He couldn't cover my dead grandmother.

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

Keeper sucks :p

Seeing Mascerano's face pisses me off as a Liverpool fan.

6. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

dribble dribble dribble shoot. impressive.

did his team mate put himself out of the play by running up to the goal? Seemed he would have been way offside if Messi had tried to feed him a pass???? Which left Messi with only one play to make -- the play that made the highlight reels...

7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

There may be many elite soccer player who can dribble that well ... but ... damn. Ball is never more than a foot away from his foot.

More insane dribbling ...

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8ZN6TTlfWL8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8ZN6TTlfWL8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

#7 No Worries, Nov 18, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  8. Buck Turgidson

I had forgotten that. Thanks.

9. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

The finish was really good, but I was more impressed by the assist. For a young player to keep calm while surrounded by the defenders in the box and make that pass shows a lot of composure. Also, on the pass you can see that when he pulls the ball back he flips it up in the air so he can lob it between the defenders.

And Spector also looked pretty bad out there, and the midfield was mostly mediocre. Lichaj, Diskerud, and Agudelo have really got my hopes up, hopefully they can keep it up.

His teammate has to make that run to draw the defense/hope for the pass before he gets behind them. After he's behind them it's a moot point since he's already out of the play.

10. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

;) yes.
    he will go down as one of the all-time greats, no doubt.

11. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

There is no doubt about that, I agree, but I am hoping we get to see him in a FINAL. :eek: He needs the Copa América and that one Cup to raise him above Pele and Maradona.

Was this a Brazil scrubs team? The defense looks confused. No way veterans won't know how to defend that... though it's messy how Messi makes it look EASY.

12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

There's a reason Spector hasn't played for West Ham since August. I've been impressed with what I've seen recently of Lichaj. He certainly seems to be part of the near future at outside back. Personally, I'm ready for Goodson to be more of a part of the regular rotation. He's got the size, speed, and better skill than Onyewu. It's time to get these kids integrated and looking more towards 2014.

13. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

it was a lucky shot. he had no idea where the defender had his legs. the entire play was good but not great. im a decent soccer fan but ive seen better.

14. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

funny how great players seem to have luck on their side. :rolleyes:

15. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Messi is truly one of the greats...he didn't have the stellar WC play we all wanted, but still great nonetheless...

16. ElVenezolano

ElVenezolano Contributing Member

17. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Yeah, right. LOL - vs. Getafe... :grin:

Maradona vs. the entire English team compared to that? Come on.

What a silly narration by the two Spaniards on Messi's gol. I fell asleep listening to those guys. :(

18. digitalbreach

digitalbreach Member

Most of Argentina's team is the same from WC. Brazil's team is younger (except for Ronaldinho which makes his first appearance) and have not played together long. Ronaldinho heel kick - wtf was tha?!? Turn around and drill it in the net.

1st half was the most entertaining. Both teams attacked more with Brazil having more shots on goal. 2nd half not so much - both teams seemed to settle for draw even though Argentina had more to prove.

Messi finally comes through for his national team and gets his only ever win against Brazil. Goal looked better in slow mo then in real time.

19. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

I hate the hype over the goal.
    It's the kind of Messi goal that if I were a manager I would slap my defenders repeatedly.
    Its the same thing, You cannot let him cut inside from the right wing. Even if you have to foul him because as soon as he gets inside from the right, the ball is not leaving his left foot until he slots it to someone for an assist or shoots. You cannot let him get on his left foot, but hey, I'm not out there and I'm not a pro.

20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

The guy is done and has been for a while. He's like football's McGrady. Still good enough for the Harlem Globetrotters, but not good enough at the highest level, but still thinks he is.