1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Does it Feel Like to Watch Your Team Win it All?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RocketMania1991, Nov 10, 2010.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I got to go to game 6 vs. the Knicks at the Summit and it was insane -- couldn't get a ticket for game 7 -but being in a championship atmosphere like that is something everyone should be able to experience once.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I was 30 when the Rockets won it all, I had suffered through years of Oilers and Astros near misses, and even the cocaine brothers on the Rockets....

So, when they clinched against the Knicks, I cried.

What a joyous day !

DD

3. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Feels good, man. :grin:

Follow the Steelers, you'll know the feeling soon enough. (Although probably not this year, because I can't think of a team winning the SB without their starting left and right tackles.)

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Yeah, you can't fully appreciate what that 1994 championship meant to Houston fans without understanding the context of how disappointing the Houston pro sports scene had been leading into that.

That Phoenix series was like a microcosm of the whole experience. Choke City turned to Clutch City. See my moniker's namesake. :)

5. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

I wouldn't know.

/Bitter Nugs Fan

Watching the Avs & Broncos (and even the Buffs, even though I was only 8 when that happened) win was great. But the Nugs are my team. They're #1 and it's not even close. God, I was beyond thrilled two years ago when they made the WCF. I can't even imagine what it would be like to even make the NBA finals, let alone WIN them.

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was living in Boston when the Rox won it in 1994 and I went out and litterally did flips down Boylston Ave. Really though what I felt was a sense of relief. Like MaxMax and DD I had lived through all the other disappointments of Houston sports and it was just a relief to finally have the words "Houston", "World", "Champion" finally go together.

7. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I was a wee lad when my 85 Bears won but that was such a forgone conclusion it wasn't even funny, I was giddy for long while.

For the Rockets, I had about the the same reaction that Hakeem had after the final horn sounded in game 7 vs the Knicks.

Just kind of took it all in and couldn't believe it actually happen. 2nd one was good as well but after game 1 it was pretty obvious that team wouldn't be denied.

8. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Man oh man, those titles were so great. I was 18 in 1994 and I was down on the Richmond strip with my buddy after Game 7, and we cruised up and down Richmond for literally hours. People were in the streets, walking between the cars, hanging out of cars, beds of pickups, convertibles, etc. People were passing beers back and forth, random high-fives and hugs were the norm. I seem to remember hearing that violent crime in Houston went way down from that night and lasted for several days. Though I don't recall hearing any confirmation about that, I'd believe it. The best way I could describe the feeling is simply one of sheer joy and happiness, but even that doesn't do it justice.

1995 could be described as vindication, affirmation, and pride. Hakeem was so good it was stupid, and that team was on a mission you had to see to believe.

I was at MMP for Game 5 of the 2004 NLCS where Jeff Kent hit that walk-off homer in the bottom of the 9th. The roof was closed. I'd never been anywhere as loud as that stadium was. You could literally feel the building vibrate.

I was at a Nine Inch Nails concert the following year at Toyota Center during Game 6 of the NCLS and virtually no one was paying any attention to NIN because everyone was too busy checking their phones for game updates and asking others what the score was. When the game was won and the Astros clinched their first World Series berth, everyone started cheering. This occurred during one of NIN's slower, sadder songs. Trent must have wondered wtf was going on, lol. It was awesome.

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

The celebration for both was just incredible.

In 1994, I was at a bar in The Woodlands. As soon as it was over, the bar handed out champagne like there was no tomorrow. I hooked up with a girl that night in the excitement and then didn't leave her apartment for 5 days. I remember watching the parade on tv from her bedroom.

1995 was at a different bar in The Woodlands, but was no less exciting (except going home on my own early that next morning).

Just an awesome feeling. You invest so much emotionally in these runs. When it finally comes to fruition, especially in a place like Houston where there's been so much FAIL, I think you could literally feel the city explode with joy (shut up, Swoly) even as far out as The Woodlands.

10. liljojo

liljojo Member

Oh goodness, how could I forget UT's BCS championship?

I was still a junior in high school, so I wasn't fully a longhorn yet, but my brother and most of my older friends were UT students, so followed them very closely. I was standing up jumping up and down in front of my television the entire first half, all the way through halftime, through the second half, and through the entire night. Before they snapped the ball on that 4th and 5, I had absolutely no doubt that VY would convert. I had the same feeling about Colt last year, but sadly he wasn't able to show what he could do, and we all know how that one ended.

I have that feeling about the Texans' offense every once in a while, but it's been a long time since the Rockets instilled that kind of confidence in me.

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Fj5bnF8Ngpc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Fj5bnF8Ngpc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

12. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

To the OP... remember when Chris Burke hit it into the Crawford boxes in the bottom of the 17th? When Jeff Kent hit the walkoff in game 5 (in '04)? Or even when Steve Novak hit the buzzer beater again Artest's Kings to keep the winning steak alive?

It's like that times 100... the first Rockets championship, I don't remember as clearly (lots of alcohol between then and now). But game 1 of the Magic series the following year was unbelievable... especially the second half and OT. Kenny Smith was unconscious, Robert Horry was flying all over the court looking like Doc Oc from Spider Man getting his hands in every passing lane, and Hakeem was just Hakeem... trancendant that whole postseason.

What am I talking about? The whole run was amazing, not just the finals... we really kicked the Magic's a__ after game 1, but after the tough Jazz series (especially that game that Clyde got ejected in the first half), to being written off down 3-1 to the Suns... only to have Mario Ellie wipe that stupid smug grin of Charles' face, to the Spurs series.... oh the Spurs series. Hakeem just absolutely "BAMBOOZLED" the league MVP in a display of dominance I have not seen replicated. It's not that the admiral wasn't physical enough, it was that he couldn't even touch Hakeem. Every spot he went to on the floor was the space that Hakeem had just left half a second earlier. Just AMAZING...

So when it all culminated in the penultimate game 4 of the Finals, and we had a comfortable lead in the 4th, and Hakeem takes, and DRAINS, a three pointer to the utter delerium of every Houstonian... wow, that shot was a giant middle finger to the rest of the basketball world for doubting the little 6th seed.

So I guess to answer your question OP: It feels great.

13. eric.81

What bar? That's where I grew up and now live...

14. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

15. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

It was simply amazing and watching old footage is still one of the easiest ways to get me to tear up,

16. eric.81

17. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:grin: Good one.

Same thing with Charles Smith of the Knicks. He can be heard on the NBA films' cameras that he knows they're "ONE... WIN... AWAY... ONE... WIN... AWAY..." and then... SAS, PLAS... we win. Two in a row.

18. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

I don't know that it will ever be like it was in 1994. I had seen the Rockets beaten by the Celtics in the mid-80's. I had seen years of the core of the 94 team struggle and lose. And then, the breakthrough.

It's different when you have a team whose core is allowed to grow together and ultimately win. I also saw every game in for the 94 and 95 championships. That adds something as well.

Seeing those guys win was special. And the bragging rights were awesome. Seeing the Suns and Jazz go down each year. Fantastic.

19. eric.81

I like it... a lot.

:)

20. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

If you grew up in Boston you could have experienced 2 world series wins, 3 superbowl wins, 1 nba finals championship.

Youll appreciate it more when it happens down here!

If you were a Dallas kid you would have been teased in all 3 sports! Atleast our teams dont tease us ;)