1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Possible New Goaltending Rules?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by NewBigThree09, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Jontro

Jontro Member

Wtf this is stupid! Sperm should be worrying about BIGGER things like fan attire and having coaches wear bow ties! :mad:

1 person likes this.
  2. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Thats very true, too. It might even help the offense more than defense cuz sometimes offensive players can gauge better than defense when they're going to miss.

I don't think itll end up in 15% combined shooting or anything. It might affect 4-7 more possessions out of 90. Still, people want to watch basketball shots. They don't want to watch 200 free throws and 20 shots flicked away. Forget hook shots that rely on friendly bounces, centers can just wait for it to graze the rim and poke it.

3. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

I'm agreeing with no. Make that a HELL no. This is more radical a change than the synthetic basketball experiment a couple years ago. I still understand how players "cut" their hands, but yeah, whatever.

4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Scola and company dominated Dwight and Amare with these rules...

It has very little effect on the game, and it is frankly pretty amazing when players can time their jumps well enough to knock it off, because it rarely happens.

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

As NBA players aren't trained with that rule in mind, I think using international play as example doesn't really work. It's possible that the rule change may not affect much, but I don't believe you can make that distinction without trying it out a year or two.

6. marky :)

marky :) Member

Eh i dont like it. So instead of going for a straight up block on an inclose shot or layup, players like Dwight can just time it when its touches the rim and just swat it away. He has the timing and the athletic ability to do that so do many other nba players. Does this goaltending rule allow the defensive player to touch the rim or just ball only?

7. Shaud

Shaud Member

If you can slap the ball off of the rim then what is the point in even having a goaltending rule?

8. delishman

delishman Member

I think everyone here is over-estimating the impact of this rule. Its a significant change that I don't think they should make, but to think its going to massively impact the game is silly. Just watch the Olympics. Maybe a 2-3 blocks extra per game for Team USA? With the benefit of getting rid of, was it out of the cylinder crap, that is nearly impossible to enforce for the refs.

To get rid of goaltending as a member suggested would be to ruin basketball.

With all that said.. Don't see Stern even thinking about making the switch.

9. T-2

T-2 Contributing Member

meh already addressed my main rebuttal here, as I think Dwight could be an amazing goalkeeper were he to dedicate himself to it, but again, I'd much rather see whether the shot was going in or not, than have them play volleyball above the rim.

It pollutes the integrity of shooter's stats as well. Shooters who play under the rim will see their % go down, while above the rim players will see their % inflate on tip dunks.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Have you noticed any difference between shot-blocking strategies of FIBA and NBA? Not really. It's just stupid to try to time the shot hitting the rim rather than challenging the shot directly. This rules only affect shots that hit the rim and bounce up. Vast majority of those shots don't go in anyway. So only the shots that roll or bounce around the rim would have a chance to be swatted away.

11. blunto

blunto Member

Anybody have any updates on the impact this rule change is having in the D-League? Feedback from players, coaches, league officials, or anyone? Thanks if you can, I haven't been able to find anything.

For those who aren't in favor of the change, would you feel differently if it only applied to one side of the ball? Therefore, the only rule change would be to allow players from the shooting team to tip the ball in when it's over the cylinder.

Personally, I'd like to see the offensive tip-ins allowed, theoretically resulting in higher scoring games, which is what is rumored to be Stern's intent. However, if it's deemed to give the offense too much of an advantage and the only way to make it fair is to allow defensive tip-offs, I'd be in favor of adopting the FIBA rule outright.