1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. HOUSTON ROCKETS STREAM
    We're watching the Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone press conference now, reacting to their comments

Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone Press Conference
    Dismiss Notice

Techie question: Ideas on how to deal with this???

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tigermission1, Sep 27, 2010.

1. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

I have a Blackberry phone, and I've got a major problem on my hand...

Basically, I tried to upgrade the firmware through the Desktop Manager, but the installation stalled midway through and now I can't power on the phone or even get the computer to recognize the driver when I hook it up with a USB port. Basically, the phone won't work/power on/boot up now because there is no firmware installed on it, so it's pretty much as useful as a piece of rock right now.

Any ideas on what my options are now? Should I just take it into the T-Mobile store or is there some other remedy/step I can take here? Basically what I need to do now is get it to power on/boot up then I will worry about restoring my personal data (e.g. address book, messages, settings etc) later on.

TIA...

2. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

first off, i work for another provider and deal with this everyday, so I'll try my best to remedy the situation even though is Tmo

the way that you did it was to update the software through the Blackberry Desktop Manager by plugging it in, let the Desktop Manager recognize there is an update, and it would download the update, then install it to your device.

Another way of trying is going to this site through Tmobile

http://www.t-mobile.com/bbupgrade/

It's an .exe file, just download it, installed it without the Desktop Manager CLOSED. After the .exe is installed, open Desktop Manager, plug in your device, if it isn't being read by first USB port you plugged it in, try another. If it recognize it, then it'll do the update automatically, may take about 30-45 mins to process.

Hopefully this will get you going. If your device isn't being read still, I'd check with another PC just to see if it'll be recognized, you can try without the Desktop Software being installed. If it can't be read, then, I hope your still under warranty.

Good luck

3. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

That's not a phone. :eek:

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

What does the screen exactly do when you try to power it on. Is there a light, anything on the screen?

5. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

When your device fails to start, it show one of these symptoms:

1. Totally dead.

2. Trying to restart, LED activity only.

3. Failed to start, a white screen with an error message.

__________________________________________________ ________

1. Physical damage, water is the worst enemy of delicate electronic device. Try drying it with a desiccant and replacing the battery. If there is no activity, you can still try the last ditch technique, nothing to loose anyway.

2. Your device is not able to start, something has gone wrong and the OS is corrupt.

Failed Upgrade suggestions.
    Link failed, Post #384 of this thread.

3. Geeks call this an "Uncaught exception error". That is a polite way of saying, the last thread has terminated, the OS has halted because it is corrupt.

In many cases, the Application Loader can be used from Desktop Manager or Windows, see Ref #1 for the CrackBerry 101 discussion.

If that fails to connect, there is one final solution. Go Old Skool ...

__________________________________________________ ________

The good news, starting from scratch, you will be back in service in a couple of hours.

1. ...

2. You need to install a BlackBerry OS file that is specific to your device. The original version, as supplied by the carrier, is the safe choice, but you can use any model specific version. This is not supplied on your BlackBerry CD, Ref: 3 links to BlackBerry's download pages.

3. Once the OS has been installed, you have to prepare it for the device.

Select Start / Computer and select the Drive C: Icon.

Open Program Files / Common Files / Research in Motion / AppLoader.

Navigate to the bottom and delete the file Vendor.XML file.

4. You are now ready to restore your device. Verify that BlackBerry Desktop Manager is NOT running. Plug the device directly into the computer's USB port.

We are about to venture into the bowls of the beast. Windows is not suitable for this job, we are going to invoke the Command line interface with an option switch. This was the way all 'puters worked prior to Mcintosh and Windows.

Windows XP: Start / Run... / Command

Windows Vista: Start / Command (type this into 'start search')

You will see a black window similar to this. I have used UPPERCASE to highlight the typed commands.

Windows Vista

Quote:
    CD \
    CD PROGRAM FILES
    CD COMMON FILES
    CD RESEARCH IN MOTION
    CD APPLOADER
    LOADER /NOJVM

Windows XP

Quote:
    CD \
    CD PROGRA~1
    CD COMMON~1
    CD RESEAR~1
    CD APPLOA~1
    LOADER /NOJVM

When using Vista 64 bit operating systems the command should look like this...

Quote:
    CD \
    CD PROGRAM FILES (x86)
    CD COMMON FILES
    CD RESEARCH IN MOTION
    CD APPLOADER
    LOADER /NOJVM

When you hit enter at the last command a forced rebuild will start. No data or setting will be saved, however, they can be recovered from a previous backup.

5. Wait for it to finish.Thirty minutes is typical, do not interrupt it.

Once it has recovered, you can use Desktop Manager's Application Loader to customize it and restore from your backup files, if you have saved them previously.

Update: Members have reported success after numerous failures with the following technique:

Remove the Battery, then run the Loader program. It works.

Ref:
    BlackBerry 101: How to Reload the Operating System on a Nuked BlackBerry | CrackBerry.com
    Current BlackBerry Desktop Manager
    BlackBerry Desk Top Manager
    BlackBerry OS Source list

Version 1.1 Corrected EXE file name.
    Version 1.2 Expanded troubleshooting and installation instructions.
    Version 1.3 Detail command line instructions.
    Version 1.4 XP specific command line.
    Version 1.5 Vista 64 command line.
    Version 1.6 Remove battery prior to running loader.

1 person likes this.
  6. tigermission1

Guys,

Thanks for the suggestions, I will try some of them later on today.

The phone isn't "dead" as in physically damaged, it was working perfectly well before the attempted software/firmware update, so that is the culprit. When it is plugged in now into the power source or with a USB cable, the LED light just flashes but it doesn't load up/power on.

It's a software/OS issue for sure, but T-Mobile store wasn't able to help me.

7. tigermission1

UPDATE...

It was challenging and it took multiple attempts, but looks like this might work afterall :)

Adeel...the game ball goes to you! Thank you, kind Sir...

1 person likes this.