1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gary Payton blasts wade, and praises kobe

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by t_mac1, Sep 5, 2010.

1. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Or perhaps Kobe is one of the few players in the NBA over the past decade and some that other players realize is ALWAYS working to get better on the court.
    No one really needed Spike Lee and a camera crew to tell them Kobe has a strong work ethic. You can get to Wade's level by having immense talent and a passable work ethic. The next step would be for Wade to take it to the next level and damn if he does, I fear for every Heat opponent. If this is Wade with a passable work ethic then goodness knows how sick a player he'll be if he takes it up a notch.
    Unlike others slating GP for what he says AFTER HE'S THE ONLY ONE ON THIS BOARD THAT HAS PLAYED WITH BOTH PLAYERS much less met or talked to both players, I wouldnt take it as an insult if you consider where Wade is now as a player.

2. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

I was gonna say something like that. Seriously how many ft's was that again in the final six games?

3. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Was that the play where he threw his forearm into Dirk and Dirk got called for the foul?

4. J-Man

J-Man Member

I still like DWade better than Kobe even though I hate the Heat.

5. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

Who cares who's more "likable" than who. Is this basketball or a high-school popularity contest :rolleyes:

6. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

To be honest, I was glad when Nowitzki was getting screwed because we got royally screwed in 2005. I still remember him flailing and fading away with no contact against Ryan Bowen and still getting a call. Screw you, Nowitzki.

7. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

uh... i like gary payton. i think he's saying these things b/c he doesn't like all the hype the heat are getting before even playing a game.

again, a player who is a "show player" usually doesn't succeed. wade won a DAMN RING the season payton played with him. and he dominated when payton played with him.

if payton really feels these things, how come he didn't reveal them BEFORE this season? he could have said it last year. think about the damn timing.

8. t_mac1

hakeem is the greatest center of all time and a top 5 player in my book son. i said that a million times.

9. wekko368

wekko368 Member

If Payton really feels things these, then why would the timing make them untrue?

10. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Or maybe he was asked a question in the Philippines and he answered it.

I don't think he has an agenda against Wade. I think reporters ask more questions about Wade because of what happened in the offseason. They asked Payton to compare Kobe to Wade. He did. What he said wasn't far-fetched at all. Kobe's work ethic, as mentioned earlier, is well documented and praised. Players old and new praise his work ethic, calling him old school and comparable only to Jordan. Wade...not so much. Who to believe then? You, a Heat fan? Or Gary Payton, a HOF player who has first hand accounts of both players in question? I'll take the latter all day everyday.

"Show" players usually don't succeed. Your own words. Sometimes a player comes along who is ridiculously talented and can succeed even if he is a show player. Shaq was a show player and he succeeded. LeBron is a show player, he's succeeded to the tune of 2 MVP's. Besides, you haven't even defined what a "show" player is. It's probably arbitrary and subjective thereby making all your conclusions about how these players can't succeed arbitrary and subjective.

In conclusion, Kobe's work ethic > Wade's "show" work ethic

11. Steve_Francis_rules

That may prove Kobe works hard, but that doesn't prove he works harder than anyone else.

As an aside, I find it funny that Lebron gets labelled a narcissist because of "The Decision" and yet few people seem to remember "Kobe Doin Work."

12. t_mac1

b/c the kobe v. wade questions came up a lot more time than now. and he's just saying it now? it's common sense.

again, do you all know what kind of diss that was when he said wade was an "all show" player. i think that is the ultimate diss to an NBA star.

13. Steve_Francis_rules

Wade has obviously worked hard to get where he is. I'd call that more than a "passable" work ethic.

It may be true that his work ethic is not what Kobe's is, GP definitely seems to think so. But is that even a bad thing? Since when is it a character flaw to want to have a life aside from one's job? You make it seem as if every person who isn't as obsessed with improving at basketball as Kobe is somehow cheating the game or themselves or the fans.

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

You have nearly 16,000 posts in two years - the vast majority have been about f'ing T-Mac -- few have been about true Rocket heroes.

15. t_mac1

again, i'm saying WHO'S NEXT? jordan, magic, bird, barkley, payton...

16. Steve_Francis_rules

When choosing what players to support, I think likability is important. I don't want to root for the best player just because he's the best.

17. t_mac1

how many hakeem threads are there? clyde as a player?. and i have REPEATEDLY said (and you can search those posts) that hakeem is ARGUABLY the great 2-way player of all time. and i still believe that.

cassell, horry, max... they were role players and they were great. but most of the topics are started by tinman talking wack things.

if you don't like what i post, put it on ignore. you don't like tmac, put it on ignore. there's a function for that. it ain't so damn hard to use.

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

T-Mac is on ignore - you may have noticed his league minimum one year deal. But please keep posting 16 times a day to defend your other non-Rocket douche-bag heroes.

19. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

But this is a BASKETBALL forum. Not a popularity contest, which posters like you confuse it as. Just because you dont "like" Gary Payton, you feel as though his opinion means nothing. Just because other posters "like" Lebron more, that makes him greater than Kobe (even though Lebron's won nothin :rolleyes: ). "Likeability" is built through media. Hardcore basketball fans prefer a little more substance

20. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Agreed. Wade's run from the 1st round through the championship was better than anything we have seen from a non-big since Jordan. Against Dallas, his team was completely out-manned except for him. Kobe hasn't carried a team to a ring like that, neither has Lebron.

GP and Kobe are great great players who work tremendously hard as individuals. They are also comparable in the egomania, assholish natures, fickleness, and ticking off teammates (might put Pippen in this group too). Jordan had a lot of this too, - enough fickleness to still get always get buy in from his teammates that the others sometimes lose. So I am not surprised GP would side with Kobe on "work ethic" because he is a lot more like Kobe himself, even though Wade gave GP a ring (and both Shaq and Payton agree it was Wade's brilliance that made it all happen).

Give me the Chuckster or Wade any day over these two (GP/Kobe) to be fans off. Perhaps their individual work ethic isn't the same (not sure about Wade, true for Charles for sure), but I'll take their phenom sense of the team game, creativity and fun loving natures even at the cost of not working on their own game in isolation of the team to the same degree. This is why I like watching and following team sports and not golf or tennis. Being a fickle, egomanical, pouty, assholish natured punk works great in those sports, but has a cost on a "team".

#80 Desert Scar, Sep 6, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2010