1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Morey Should "Just Say No" to Melo!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Gary Vance, Aug 30, 2010.

1. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. Al Capone

Al Capone Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

/endthread

4. Hball

Hball Member

With Lakers and Heat here for the next five years(new big nba rivalry), I don't see stern letting this team get to the finals as is even if they are good enough without more star power, because it will hurt his precious ratings.

If we add Melo though, Im sure Paul will force a trade here also, then we'd be stern favorites to play the heat or celtics in the finals for sure :)

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

So, if you keep posting that in every thread, what does that make you?

Hmmmmmmm???

And Bobrek,

I don't know...I was just having fun....

DD

6. Gary Vance

Gary Vance Member

Hey Jim...I will stand with the projected individual stats based on last years numbers. Unfortunately, those numbers don't reflect the total team averages because they are spread across the season for individual play and do not bear directly on expected average points per game for the whole team.

Keep in mind, that there are a few other players that will be getting minutes like Jermaine Taylor, Ish Smith, Chuck Hayes, and Patrick Patterson who will also contribute points in their appearances.

My point on the numbers...we have a talented lineup with a deep bench that can fill in for injured starters.

7. RocketRick

RocketRick Member

You are wrong sir. 1 Star for you.

8. Gary Vance

Gary Vance Member

Wrong about what sir? Come on Rick....

9. albuster

albuster Member

Most definitely agree with you.

10. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Calm down.

Why speculate on a potential injury? Anthony has averaged 73 games a year over his career, roughly 90% of games.

And even Anthony did go down, what happens to most teams when they lose a top 5 player? They don't go far. That's normal. That exact thing happened with Yao. No amount of depth replaces that talent level.

Them's the breaks. As Rockets fans, we're all a little nervous about a major injury again but we shouldn't let that anxiety prevent us from trading a position of strength (solid depth players 1-12) for a position of weakness (top-flight talent).

The fact is we're not playing 10-12 players a night. We may as well consolidate talent and get a player like Anthony.

11. Shaud

Shaud Member

People complain about giving up players for Melo.

To get a very good player you have to give up something.

Some people don't want to do the trade if we have to give up Brooks or Martin.

Every deal can't be like the Pau Gasol deal.

12. Jacquescas

Jacquescas Contributing Member

Its funny no one ever wants to trade our players away. If we had a shot at Lebron or Kobe there would be someone saying that we should instead keep budinger.

I think if we can get Melo for those draft picks which are no guarantee, Hill, Battier and Jeffries it seems like a no brainer to me.

13. DaDakota

The flaw in your thoughts is that Melo is as good as those players, he isn't....

In every situation you have to consider fit, etc.....

To me....(and hardly anyone else)....Melo does not fit.

Making the same assumption about other players is irrelevent as they are all unique in their skillsets and ability to fit on this team.

DD

14. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

No brainer imo as well.

15. GMNot

GMNot Member

... no brainer... could be... then again it could be literal... no brain-er.

For all the analysis that Morey and his team supposedly do, I'd like to see their "weighted" plus and minus of the team as is and the team as it would be after a trade for Anthony. Just because Morey is supposedly on the trail of a second "star" for the team, everyone seems to think any "star" fits his thinking. I've consistently posted that I'd rather see what the team is capable of and wait until the trade deadline to make any major moves. Of course, I'm sure Morey is paying attention to what we're all posting here. ;)

1 person likes this.
  16. Jacquescas

Jacquescas Contributing Member

I just always find it so funny our current roster is always the best roster. Our young players will always be the next developing pieces our team needs. Analytically I can say that Melo doesn't fit our system but if we can acquire him for pieces not essential to our current roster, its worth it, at worst he is another tradable asset. Not to mention our system is not the mecca of basketball, If you acquire pieces that make your more competitive if you tweak your system, then you do it. Wins matter more than the system or players.

17. StaticC4

StaticC4 Member

It makes him in love you! ZING!

18. LewLLOYD

LewLLOYD Member

I always seem to root against Melo, and I live in Denver. Been trying to root for him for years, but its difficult.

Also, since it was mentioned, Chris Paul possibly following Melo somewhere. Well, I also find it hard to root for him.

Not sure why. Just how I feel.

/thought

19. DaDakota

I agree with that, I just don't value Melo as much as others do....I think he is a great scorer, but not much else.

He is prone to being lazy on defense, doesn't play hard all the time, doesn't pass, doesn't lead by example.....

I think he is one of those talented guys who has not grown up....he might get there, but then again, he might never get there.

DD

20. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Repped