1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Larry Coon on 610-Melo offers

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clips/Roxfan, Aug 25, 2010.

Tags:
  1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I think the way this information is worded, well, it either isn't a direct quote, or Larry Coon was just sort of thinking out loud, throwing names off the top of his head. If Scola or Lowry could be traded at this time, he might have mentioned them, too.

I heard the interview. I thought Larry focused on Brooks as a probability in the potential trade, but again, he doesn't know, and of course, the Nuggets would then have to find a home for their other point guards.

IF, by chance, my memory is hazy and Larry actually means all those players could go, I'm sure we'd get someone else out of the deal. But, again, I think his idea was, "Who could be traded? Well, of course Denver can ask for players like..." and then he read off a Rockets laundry list of names from memory.

2. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Smoothie,
    totally agree. Martin would likely be the one moved, forcing Lee into a bigger role. I think Hill has to be somewhat appealing to them as a young big. Of course the Knicks 2012 pick. Perhaps Jefferies for salary and Bud to rebuild the 3 position. So:

Martin, Hill, Knicks 2012, Houston 2012, Jeffries, and Bud for Melo (does this even work as far as salary?) Would this be enough to get it done you think?

3. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

If it costs kevin martin you do it...it actually might be better for the team to move kevin than lee because of lees upside contract and defense...

I think Lee/Melo is >>>> than Martin/Battier and Lee/Melo is close to Martin/Melo cause of liability issues and health concerns..

What do you guys think?

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

From what I've been reading about the CBA negotiations is that the max salary amount won't change but only the length of a max contract. Since the Melo's extension is only for 3 years added to the one year remaining after this year for a total of 4 years, I doubt it will effect him much in terms of salary amount.

5. optAmystik

optAmystik Member

I'm pretty sure that Melo has two years left on his current contract with the second of those years being his option. If he signs the extension, then that second year option of his on his current contract goes away. So, with the extension signed, Melo is under contract for a total of 5 years.

6. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

7. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Oklahoma? That's a bit redundant, neither he not Durant are particularly position flexible, Okc would likely be one of only 2 teams that wouldn't even be considering it in any way shape or form.

8. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Brooks AND Martin? Yeah, I dunno about that... If we get Carmelo, though, I'm fine with them taking Martin.

9. rockbox

I am not counting this year since, its not up for negotiation. I'm talking at the end of this season. He will have his last year plus another 3 years for a total of 4 years or a new contract which will probably be maxed out at 4 years under the new CBA.

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

The percentage of max salary with respect to the cap won't change. But the cap changes from year to year. I was talking about how the owners are going to slash the percentage the players get from Basketball-Related-Income. Lower cap -> lower max + lower luxury threshold -> Melo being severely overpaid by new rules.

11. rockbox

Do you think it will be that large? Lets say its a 10 percent change. We are talking about a 5 million difference which means 1.5 - 2 million change in max salary per year. I donĀ“t think it will make that big of a difference to Melo. The others have shown that they are willing to take less to be where they want.

12. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I like how people are freaking out over this trade saying we'll give up too much. First, whether it's Larry Coon, DaDakota or some anonymous joe schmo poster like me, it's all just speculation. None of us know what it's going to take to get the deal done until a deal is done. Secondly (and most importantly), Daryl Morey is at the helm, gentlemen. If the trade doesn't favor us, he isn't making that trade.

13. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

OKC would not be a contender because they would have to give up players in return. Plus, Melo and Durant play the same position Durant can MAYBE play the 2 but Melo can't. And he definitely can't/won't put for the effort to guard other 2's.

14. mFt82

mFt82 Member

Trade Brooks and NOT Martin. Move Lowry over to the starting spot.

15. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

well when you look back at what teams get for their star players in a trade, its usually underwhelming. here are a few i remember off the top of my head:

KG was traded for
    Ryan Gomes, Gerald Green, Al Jefferson, Theo Ratliff, Sebastian Telfair, a 2009 first round draft pick (top three protected)

ray allen, glen davis were traded for
    wally szczerbiak, delonte west, geff green

brand was traded for
    brian skinner and the draft rights to tyson chandler

iverson was traded to the nuggets for
    andre miller, joe smith, and 2 first round picks.

pau gasol was traded for
    nothing

shaq was traded to the heat for
    caron butler, lamar odom, brian grant, one first round pick.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

If it is BROOKS AND MARTIN
    that means IMO that the Rockets would get Chauncy back

Rocket River

17. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Sign me up. If that means we'll have just next season to win a ring before Yao completely breaks down, I'm all for it.

18. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

billups-lowry PG rotation would be very lethal...i want chauncey packaged with Melo.

19. FoOLiSh_AzN

FoOLiSh_AzN Member

i was wondering why are you a clippers fan? you live in LA?

20. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I like your thoroughness in bringing this up, but I'd hardly call the value "underwhelming". When a superstar fetches Odom/Butler+ change, or Dre + two 1st rounders OR Al Jefferson + 1st + prospects, that does not look like a trade of either Martin OR Books + just change looks in the ball part at all. I would say 3 decent pieces (one or two will all-star potential), or 2 decent pieces + 2 prospects/decent flyers.

Something like both Martin & Brooks & decent pick OR one of them + 2 decent picks + OK another piece. What saves Brooks I think is that PG is such a non-need for the Nuggets--his value won't be what it might for other teams.

Maybe they would go for Martin + Hill + Budinger + two 1st (or one of them could be Patterson or any other player the Rockets have the rights to but is unsigned). Anything less is not getting this done IMO. They could also take Shane instead of Hill - one pick/asset. On the one hand they might want the leadership, on the other they might just want to go full youth movement.