1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Larry Coon on 610-Melo offers

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clips/Roxfan, Aug 25, 2010.

Tags:
  1. zainahsan93

zainahsan93 Member

There would no reason to trade Brooks they already have billups and Lawson that would be stupid for Denver. and I really hope Houston doesn't trade Martin either. I would trade bud rather than Martin

2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

the first clutchcity salary cap expert. Makes perfect sense.

3. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

We must not destroy our chemistry for Jello.
    No trade of Miller,Yao, Scola,Martin OR BROOKS!!!!!!!

a)Budinger, Lee, Lowery, One selection/B]

b)Hayes,Taylor,Hill ,Patty ,Jefferies & Battier Two selectionss

c) New York Two picks :p

4. psingh34

psingh34 Member

im pretty sure its either or .. not both

5. psingh34

psingh34 Member

i personally prefer giving up martin... one i feel lee can do an adequate job filling in for him .. two there is a good chance martin is going to miss atleast 15 games .. three he will be more enticing to denver bc they can use him esp if they get rid of jr smith later also .... four with his salary included (at like 11 million i think) we will have to give a lot less of our talent to get melo .. maybe a martin, either shane or jefferies, hill or patrick and picks..

6. icewill36

icewill36 Member

thats an extremely athletic lineup, wouldnt mind seeing that happen.

7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

let him go to the clips

8. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

I would be willing to trade Martin and Brooks plus filler for Carmelo and Lawson.

Lowry / Lawson
    Battier / Lee
    Carmelo / Budinger
    Scola / Hayes
    Yao / Miller

is better than...

Brooks / Lowry
    Martin / Lee
    Battier / Budinger
    Scola / Hayes
    Yao / Miller

9. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Defense is better, offense about the same.

10. jj3469

jj3469 Member

I can't stand when people say or type IMO. We know what an opinion is dammit ok sorry proceed

11. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

Superstar or not, there's a point at which the trade isn't a good move for your team. Giving up Brooks and Martin is too much. I think Brooks is more replaceable and would rather see him dealt if need be. But there's no point in the Rockets acquiring a superstar if they lose so much in the trade that they don't get that much better on the whole.

12. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

Defense is slightly better, offense isn't as good.

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The Rocket basically has the higher of the Hou and the NY picks, so they can trade whatever pick they end up with outright to Den, no matter where Den finishes. If Den wins lotto, NY picks 10th, Houston picks 19th for example, Den will get 1st and 10th, NY will get 19

1 person likes this.
  14. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

I think everyone is forgetting one thing. If Melo says he wants to play for the Rockets, then Morey is in the driver's seat. He is in a position to say take what I give you or we let our expirings go and sign him outright at the end of the season anyway..... And that cripples Denver considerably because other teams will pull way way back on their offers without a Melo extension.

Finally, we are the only NBA team that can give Denver a great offer and still be a legit contender afterwards. NYK's lineup and the Clippers lineup are BARELY playoff teams with Melo added. And that's BEFORE they trade anyone back to Denver in exchange.........

From Melo's perspective, a Houston team without Melo is by far better than a Denver team without Melo, a Clippers team without melo, a Knicks team without Melo... So it would stand to reason that a Rockets team with Melo is better than a Denver team with Melo, a Clippers team with Melo, an Knicks team with Melo......

15. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

I would ONLY give up AB if Chauncey is thrown into the deal.

16. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I think it is a very useful convention for when one is diverging from less facts & objective support for an argument to indicate a more subjective argument or "feel" of the whole (gestalt).

Not all opinions are equally valid, nor is there a single way to support them or originate them.

carry on.....

17. raleigh

raleigh Member

The Rockets would have to renounce Ming, Battier, Brooks, etc. to have any shot at signing Melo in the offseason.

The package that makes the most sense for Denver is:

Martin
    Budinger
    Hill -or- pick
    Pick

If I'm Morey, I'd honestly have to give some serious thought as to whether trading away all of that is worth it. It likely is, but it's not an open/shut case for me...

18. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Why do say that?

19. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If the Nuggets trade Melo, Billups will be traded during the year as well. There's no point in having Billups on the team if there's no Melo. The Nuggets would get offers like crazy for him.

I think they would take Brooks even if they have Lawson.

20. meh

meh Contributing Member

Unlike the Bosh/Lebron signings, I'm more inclined to believe that Denver has a lot more leverage. The difference between Bosh/Lebron's contracts and max dollars was significant but not big paycut. Whereas with the lockout looming and the owners likely going to destroy the players union in the next negotiation, Melo could be looking at a huge paycut if he wants to sign somewhere outright next year. So in this sense, if Melo wants to get paid, he'll work something out with Denver.

Of course, I thought this about Bosh and that didn't turn out well. So who knows, I could be overstating the necessity for superstars to get max deals.

If Melo goes to NY, I don't think it will be for winning, but rather the market. If it's really just about the championship, there are better destinations than even the Rockets. OKC, for one, can give Denver a serious package and be a championship favorite after the trade.

I think just as the Bosh situation, Houston is like the last resort destination for Melo. That although he prefer it over Denver(we're still a better place to live, bigger market, no income tax, etc.) but he'd go to NY if at all feasible.