1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Morey doesn't go after Paul? Intriguing question and interesting answers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by _RTM_, Jul 25, 2010.

?

Two-year experiment with Paul is good or bad for Rockets?

Poll closed Aug 24, 2010.
  1. Yes, they will become a true-contender. We should try to win a championship right now

67.6%
  2. No. we will lose to much for this risky move

32.4%
  1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

No, we don't. Where you came up with this I have no idea.

Shane would be just fine, he is a very good spot up shooter. Lowry and CP3 in a small-ball lineup would be sweet.

Even if it's true, it's easier to find guys who move off the ball than it is to find a superstar of CP3's caliber. You take CP3, then you build around him.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

CP3 is a great passer, if you surround him with cutters and guys who can use ball screens he would be much more successful.

And that is EXACTLY what I said, you get people around him that fit his game.

I am saying that if something is well thought out, even if you don't agree with the conclusion, that it deserves more than 1 star...and that a lot of people just rate stuff because of how they feel about the poster, or the idea, and not whether it makes the board better.

DD

3. Mashing

Mashing Member

Yeah, if he ends up in Dallas, we're going to be screwed. That team would stacked and would have to be the favorites to beat the Lakers. We'd have a very hard time wining the central division.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

It's hurt for me to say this but DD is....right..

With a PG like CP3 Ariza and Bud will thrive and Battier's inability to cut and slash effectively, (he's not in his 20's anymore either) are a waste on the floor with Paul.

Lowry and Paul on the floor at the same time? You crazy.

5. Mr. Clutch

You don't need them to cut. You need them to spot up and hit 3's after Paul penetrates and kicks out.

How did Diaw and Frye work out in Phoenix?

6. Mr. Clutch

Actually you said we need to keep a bunch of guys, then you said that we would need 50% roster turnover. So I'm not sure which side you are on.

Either way, you get him and worry about the surrounding pieces later. It's easier to get the surrounding pieces than to get the Big Dog.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

Have you seen Paul play? He doesn't rely on his quickness to the basket to create. He uses his God like court vision to find guys and make unbelievable passes. RA's system is based on movement without the ball and I'd hate for Paul to run a break and there only being 1 player with him because Battier can't run.

8. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Decent post, and while your bring up some plausible reasons to go after Paul, I think DM likes what he sees in AB.

To me, Chris Paul has somewhat reached his ceiling. Aaron has not, and currently, he's cheaper to pay.

I think Aaron fits better in Adelmans system as a scoring point guard, much like Mike Bibby was in the Kings' days.

Plus, with Paul's contract, we would have to give up a great deal to make the salaries work. Our core that we have right now is deep. I don't know if CP would complement Yao as well either.

Yao is not a leaping Tyson Chandler, and Aaron has learned to get him the ball in the post more efficiently over the last few seasons. CP needs the ball in his hands too often, almost like McGrady. That's not how RA's offense thrives.

I don't think he's worth the risk either, when you consider the injuries. We've been through that all too often. Imagine trading half of your core players for Chris Paul and then he's injured again. That would be devestating to the season, but not only that, to the future of the Rockets.

Aaron is durable, fast and can score at will.

I'll take him over CP3 at this point all day. If the contracts were different, I may reconsider, but I like what Morey is doing with the team right now.

The player that would most benefit from CP3 is Scola, but to me, I think RA is trying to create a balanced attack, and not a 2-man domination.

We have guys on the roster that can score 20 on any given night. If you trade them away for Paul, you lose scoring and chemistry.

This is just my opinion as a long-time Rockets fan. I'd support the team in the only way I know, DIEHARD, but giving up AB and our "assets" would not be my favorite outcome.

We need another scoring, big man. Our point guard situation is set. Trade David, Jefferies and another piece for Okafor if you want to deal with New Orleans. Okafor's contract is ridiculous, but at least he addresses the size we need. Plus, if I'm not mistaken, didn't he work with Hakeem? :)

9. Jacquescas

Jacquescas Contributing Member

So basically because we have Battier it makes no sense to get Paul? Because of the 4th through 9th guys on our team we should not go after a top 5 player. That makes no sense at all.

I understand some of ou role players may not fit in well with Paul, but they are role players. You don't not acquire a star because you have a role player.

10. Mr. Clutch

Would I rather have a fast guy than Battier play with Paul? Sure. But I wouldn't nix the trade based on the idea that he wouldn't "fit" with our guys. That's just silly. If that's the case, you build around him.

And I agree he has good vision, but he does get past his man and into the paint to create.

From Hollinger:
    "once he has half a step on somebody, they never get back in front of him, even though Paul methodically picks his way along and rarely goes at top speed. He reliably gets into the paint on this play, although opponents try to go under the screen against him and force him to shoot a J. Once he gets a step, he devastates with his passing and finishing. "

11. REEKO_HTOWN

LOL. quite the opposite. I'm trying to say Ariza and Bud are more effective with Paul so it's not a bad idea to trade Battier.

I'd love him here. Ariza and Scola running a break with Paul locked and loaded...look out.

to Mr. Clutch,

My argument is more about who we should include in a trade package for Paul. I say Battier. That's all I'm saying.

12. Mr. Clutch

Well, I agree with you on that point.

13. Raven

Raven Member

Is his knee really an issue? It isn't bone on bone is it?

14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

I agree on Brooks fitting in with RA's offense much better than CP3. But I am not comfortable with Brooks defensively. He gets lit up way too often and in many games appears to not even attempt to stay in front of his man. It's nice to have Lowry come in at those points, but then you lose outside shooting. The one good thing about Brooks is that he steadily improves each season so I'm hoping he can work on his D. But thus far I am not sold on him being an adequate starter for a team that wants to be a contender.

15. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

so where are the intriguing questions and interesting answers?

16. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

True, Brooks' defense isn't anything special, but as far as I know, CP3 isn't a great defender either. He relies on the bigs to stop penetration.

I like that AB can at least keep up with anyone in the league with his speed and at least disrupt the shot.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

CP3 is not great as a one on one defender but plays the passing lanes very well.

I don't want CP3 either, I would rather roll with Brooks.

DD

18. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

I wouldn't give up all our young talent just to get CP3.

Give up maybe Lowry (boy can't shoot), Hill or Patterson (not both), along with Andersen, Taylor or Martin, Battier and Jefferies to get him but Morey can't be stupid enough to give up our ENTIRE young core just to get CP3.

And I will be pissed if we had to take Okafor's contract as well for all we are giving. Either way, I am fine Paul or not with what we have going into this next season.

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Say what? He has a "minutes" clause in his contract? :confused:

20. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i'm gonna assume he means the size of his contract warrants 1/2 the PG minutes