1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Suit alleges firefighter's widow was born a man

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by akperez, Jul 19, 2010.

1. akperez

akperez Contributing Member

Sad that a firefighter lost his life...even sadder that stuff like this has to come about during tragedy. As weird or unconventional as they think it is.......shame on the mother-in-law and ex-wife. To each his own. :(

Chronicle Story

Suit claims widow of Wharton firefighter was born a man
    By PAIGE HEWITT
    Copyright 2010 Houston Chronicle
    July 18, 2010, 10:24PM

Wharton Fire Department Capt. Thomas Araguz III and his wife, Nikki Araguz, during their wedding in August 2008. He died in a fire this month.

The family of a Wharton firefighter who died battling a massive egg farm blaze is fighting to keep his widow from receiving death benefits, arguing that the 37-year-old had found out his bride of two years was born a man.

Thomas Araguz III separated from his wife after learning her history two months prior to being trapped in the fatal July 3 fire, according to attorney Chad Ellis, who is representing Araguz's parents in the lawsuit.

"He was distraught. It was extremely difficult and embarrassing for Tommy," said Ellis, who added that there is no will for the estate, which will be substantial since the fire captain died in the line of duty.

Thomas Araguz learned during a custody dispute with his ex-wife last spring that 35-year-old Nikki Araguz, whom he married in August 2008, was allegedly born as Justin Graham Purdue. Ellis said he was unsure when Nikki Araguz may have undergone a sex-change operation, but the lawsuit claims she changed her name in the mid-1990s to Nikki Paige Araguz.

Nikki Araguz has been court-ordered not to remove any property from their home, withdraw funds from any account or receive any death benefits, as part of the lawsuit filed last week in state district court by the firefighter's mother, Simona Longoria.

Among the issues: Who will be the administrator of the estate and whether Nikki Araguz was Thomas Araguz' lawful wife. The family wants all the death benefits to go to the two young sons that Araguz had with ex-wife Heather Delgado.

The lawsuit, slated for Friday in Wharton County District Court, leans on 1999 state case law prohibiting same-sex marriage and maintaining a person's gender forever remains the same as it was at birth, Ellis said.

"We are not blazing new legal ground here," Ellis said.

Nikki Araguz declined Sunday to discuss her gender history, and insisted that her husband knew everything about her personal life when they married in August 2008. She also said the couple was not separated.

"We had a completely honest marriage, a 100 percent loving, honest marriage," she said. "I am grieving the loss of my husband and best friend."

She also would not discuss her birth name or whether she was connected to the criminal history of Justin Graham Purdue, which includes at least three theft convictions.

Nikki Araguz, a native of northwest Houston, ran an unsuccessful bid for Wharton mayor against a volunteer firefighter this past spring, drawing 30 percent of the vote. She closed her magazine, Wharton County Living, immediately following her husband's death.

Another issue at play: Only a spouse may file a wrongful death suit, Ellis said.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and the state fire marshal have said the fire — which required 150 firefighters from 31 departments — was caused by a light fixture.

paige.hewitt@chron.com

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

So... was born a man... that lady??? :confused:

Inside jokes. :eek:

3. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

I dont think that lady was a lady. Mazyar?

Jokes aside, this is going to more traumatic for the kids. They lost their father and now this.

4. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

Live ten minutes away from Wharton and that's what everybody is talking about here. Kinda sad and weird that this story comes out like this. I figured it was just tasteless bum country news when it was in the local paper, but to get picked up by the Chronicle......that's why I don't subscribe.

5. akperez

Not THIS lady! ;)

And exactly right M. This is bad news for the kids. As long as they are receiving benefits from him then what does it matter to the ex-wife and mother-in-law if his widow does also? It's definitely not worth dragging them into this circus. Sounds like greed and selfishness...especially if there was a child custody issue.

6. Mae

Mae Member

But if it goes to the two children, then the greedy ex wife will get her hands on all the money.

It really should be shared. I hate how things can be manipulated after death. What's the point of a Will if it can be overturned or changed after your dead.

I know he didn't have one, but he was a firefighter. Come on...that just seems like common sense to have one.

7. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=113578808671979&ref=ts

He/She for mayor of Wharton?

8. akperez

I thought it was odd he didn't have one either....being a firefighter and all. And you're right about the ex-wife having her hands on it anyway. That's what I don't get....why dredge up all this nonsense. Spare the kids!!

9. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

$$$$$$$$$

10. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

agreed...crazy story and even crazier to think an ex would get her hands on the money...poor kids for having to be subjected to this crap...

so...dude didn't look like a lady?

11. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

not a time for puns Ellis!

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

[​IMG]

you make the call, wife on left

13. tested911

tested911 Member

14. Mae

Mae Member

iono, but she bears a resemblance to this lady here...

[​IMG]

15. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

She's a man. No Question.

Signed,
    [​IMG]

or
    [​IMG]

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I feel for the transgendered female. I'm 100% sure the husband knew that she was born a male and probably told his family to understand. Now that he's past the family and ex wife want to insure that this never goes to light and embarrasses them publicly.

shameful on the families part.

17. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Dude's brother or cousin is gay.

18. akperez

I believe this also. The telling part is how the knowledge came about during a custody dispute. Seems to me like the ex-wife and mother-in-law are going after her now that he's gone.

19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

how do you come to this conclusion from the article posted? Maybe you're right, but seems like just a guess.

And while you may be right, if it is just a guess, and no one will ever know, and based on this articles representation of the current law, it would seem the estate going to the two sons would be the least "harmful" outcome.

20. Mae

Mae Member

save for the ex wife.