1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between Luka and the Mavs and Shai and the Thunder. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

I broke my fish tank and created a man-made lake.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RedRedemption, Jul 2, 2010.

Tags:
  1. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Thanks for the advice. Put some towels over, cranked up the AC, set up a fan. Periodically changing towels to soak up at much water as possible...

I wish I had some shamwow. :(

2. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

[​IMG]

3. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

The carpet should dry out pretty easily, it's the padding underneath that will be the problem. I'd look into renting a large dehumidifier and running the heat all day to dry it out as best you can. Don't wait, either. Once the carpet padding mildews, it's game over. You'll have to replace the carpet.

1 person likes this.
  4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i'd say try and get as much water out of it as you can...use a vacuum or use towells...keep at it until its just wet, but not soaked....i think it should be alright at that point to let it dry out...maybe take a blow dryer to it, obviously won't solve it, but it'll help some..

i'm guessing there's places out there that deal with it, maybe stanley steemer has some super vac for this

5. RedRedemption

I'll look into one. Thanks.

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Yeah, I think Rookie's idea a good one -- especially the second time around. The AC will dehumidify the air, and the fan will wick away water vapor as it evaporates.

7. Salvy

Salvy Member

8. RedRedemption

Thanks dude. I ask for advice and you come up with this. Thanks again!

9. Asian Sensation

Is there fish in the lake?

10. RedRedemption

No, just my tears...

11. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

What's the point of that? It's not particularly funny and it's already the second page of the thread, and a lot of people have contributed advice. You just come off as a jackass.

To the OP, I second the suggestions of cranking up the AC and placing fans around the area. Also, pick up some mule team borax for the carpet, it inhibits mold and mildew.

1 person likes this.
  12. esteban

esteban Member

Sorry about your trouble man, I used to own a carpet cleaning business on the side. What you need to do is look up in your area on some carpet cleaning companies and ask them if they have the water extraction equipment and how much do they charge. You can not be stingy on this as some poster earlier said it's the padding underneath that had absorbed all of the water. Your carpet will stink and you will have a serious mold and mildew problem.

After you extracted the water out of your carpet I would suggest get it clean by a professional one preferably using the dry-foam method, don't use the steam method like most of the companies out there, the last thing you need is more water being dumped into your carpet.

Good luck Bro!

1 person likes this.
  13. RedRedemption

Thanks. Already cranked the AC up, got some fans around the area, and I just vacuumed the carpet. Will put some detergent and some of that mule team you just mentioned. Thanks a lot.

1 person likes this.
  14. Salvy

Salvy Member

Its not really an emergency, he broke his fish tank and wet his carpet.... Right after the "picture" I was actually going to tell him to go to Lowe's and rent a steam cleaning machine for about $30...... But noo you had to get your panties wet over a little joke.... To the OP, go to Lowe's and ask them what is their best carpet cleaner.... There is one I used to clean a carpet that a washing machine spilled all its water into...... Its a white plain bottle with purple letters I think.... Once you use that just rent a rug doctor and steam clean it..... You will be ok, your carpet will be okay......

1 person likes this.
  15. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

I think the best thing to do would be to pull the carpet back and dry it out, not necessarily pull it all out. There should be foam under the carpet too, and it's not going to completely dry out on it's own quick enough to avoid mildew smell.

IMO

1 person likes this.
  16. Summer Song Giver

I have a 100 gallon tank with stand if you're looking to replace your tank... possible small crack in my tank.

17. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Get a steam cleaner. If not buy one, go rent one. Steam clean said area, to make it smell good. The steam cleaner also has a heater / blow drying effect to dry the rug.

I steam clean like once every 2 weeks.

18. ccada

ccada Contributing Member

How did you break it anyway? Just curious.

19. Asian Sensation

Sorry for your loss. If you were in Portland I'd let you have my tank for free. I have a 40 gal just collecting dust in the garage. I used to have cichlids. They were a lot of fun but cleaning the tank became to much of a pain in the ass.

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'd definitely rent a steam cleaner as others suggested if you can't pull the carpet up. I'm not sure how much it'll help the pad below it. It's not just water that got on your carpet, it's fish crap, ammonia, etc. Make sure you dry under that cabinet, too.

Did the tank break on its own or did something hit it? If nothing hit it, and you decide to put another tank up, make sure the tank is level before you put it up. Non-level tanks tend to put a lot of strain on a portion of the glass causing it to possibly fail. Also try staying away from most Walmart or PetSmart, etc. tanks. Many of the cheaper ones use thinner glass.