1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cushing suspended

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rocket Guy, May 7, 2010.

1. XBLRocketman111

XBLRocketman111 Contributing Member

Check out Casey's van!

2. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I allowed Ottomaton to troll me. I apologize for the part I had in ruining the thread. Sorry.

Yeah I don't see that as proof it works for that purpose.

Thanks!

4. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3155299

http://www.healthgrades.com/cms/health-news/article.aspx?id=tcm:5-11789

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jp-hgh061206

These are some tidbits that work in the argument that it does help recover injuries. I found this quote interesting as well as to why there isn't tons of medical evidence out there on the subject..

With the "whatever it takes" mentally alot of these professional athletes carry it could be hard for doctors to safely mimmick the dosage intake some of these athletes use to study

5. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

CaseyH has been owned beyond belief on these last three pages. Seriously, stop while you're ahead, CaseyH.

6. Bandwagoner

Ottomaton posted a bunch of unrelated links then said the NFL substance definitions are false. I'm not sure how that makes me owned. My guess is you didn't read anything.

7. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Wait, what? Are we actually debating whether or not HGH can help an athlete heal faster? Of course it can! Human growth hormone is like the fountain of youth...I heard that from my physiology professor in grad school. The whole point of the hormone is to improve tissue repair, increase cell production in muscles and bones, and to improve immune function.

You dont think healing tissue helps a player recover quicker? Yeah, its not going to allow a guy to go from tearing an ACL one week to getting on the field a few weeks later. But, it will allow a player that has been bruised and battered, to sit out a week of practices and get back on the field on a Sunday.

Pulling a hamstring, spraining an ankle, getting a deep bone bruise...all of these injuries deal with the types of cells that can be affected when HGH enters the picture.

And by the way, even though an example was given on how HGH promotes healing in burn victims, that doesnt mean its not relevant. The point is that its tissue repair. When a player gets injured, its tissue that needs to be repaired...doesnt matter if we are talking about an external layer of skin, a strand of muscle, a tendon, or an internal organ. The same physiologic factors are still at play.

8. Bandwagoner

Yeah, but since that is not why cushing was suspended it is the result of a totally off topic clusterpluck.

9. robroy77

robroy77 Contributing Member

A couple days ago a lot of fans thought we would never see the crazy, kick your ass Cushing ever again. People said the steroids helped him play at the level that he did! Well, that will not be the case. He failed the test in September and he played at a Pro Bowl level the rest of the way completely clean! He passed tests the rest of the season. Whatever he used didn't assist him in being the Pro Bowler he is. He cheated by using something, and we may never know. But, in week five we will be getting a "Star" player back and that makes me feel a whole lot better.

10. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

RT @Adam_Schefter: Here it is: Brian Cushing tested positive for slightly elevated levels of hCG (a non-steroidal substance produced naturally by the body).

RT @Adam_Schefter: More hCG: it is in seminal fluid and slightly elevated levels can be discovered in the event that a test occurs soon after ejaculation.

11. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

@Adam_Schefter: Here it is: Brian Cushing tested positive for slightly elevated levels of hCG (a non-steroidal substance produced naturally by the body).

@Adam_Schefter: More hCG: it is in seminal fluid and slightly elevated levels can be discovered in the event that a test occurs soon after ejaculation.

12. rockets934life

Well played Mauer, well played lol

Dude spanked the monkey and got suspended for it.

13. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Well, I tend to agree he was clean when he did his best work, however, does that mean he lose the ROY award? I'd hope not, but anything is possible...

14. rockets934life

@MVPGotham: Jairus Byrd of the Buffalo #Bills to receive ROY Award after revote by Associated Press: http://digg.com/u1VQ5t #nfl

15. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

If you read the link, it's nothing new - just speculation.

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Thanks to the age of Twitter people can just say things and have them spread as truth. What a joke.

17. rockets934life

True, my bad, I read only the pre-face before being distracted however it is another opinion from an AP vote holder.

18. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

After reading that info on hGH, I'm wondering if we can't get some for Yao next season!

19. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I wonder why the NFL bans this. Do you suppose it can be used as a masking agent of some sort?

20. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Yeah, I was just clarifying that it's not true yet. I fully expect Cushing to lose the award - few groups love to be more nauseatingly self-righteous than casual sports fans and the media who plays down to them.

The thing is, why are we placing so much importance on what 50 random writers who see the exact same games we do think, anyway? They're no more informed than you and me. It cracks me up to see some of these NFL writers talking from their high horses about "if Cushing wanted leniency...". Honestly, I really don't think Cushing cares. Most don't. He plays to be the best player he can and to win games. All this "re-vote" really is is a struggling organization (AP) looking to find their way into the headlines and make themselves the story. Best response, assuming they take it away, is to ignore.