1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chad Ford's Mock Draft, Version 1.0

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Rockets34Legend, May 6, 2010.

1. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

This is his first mock draft. It will look completely different when all the measurables and workouts are complete.

2. meh

meh Contributing Member

Definitely would LOVE the pick of Donatas Motiejunas at 14. Also hoping Cousins drop a bit for whatever reason, so we can have a chance to move up and grab him.

3. tuus

tuus Member

Maotiejunas can be second coming of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martynas_Andriuškevičius

4. VBG

VBG Member

Draft express has us taking Hassan Whiteside.

Shot blocker with Low Bball IQ

5. da_juice

da_juice Member

Don't forget the attitude probelm.

6. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

wtf is up with pre-NBA Lottery Mock Drafts?

7. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Unlike the NFL draft trading down in the NBA draft is usually always a bad idea. But in a typical Da Da move I have developed a mancrush on the story of Solomon Alabi and in my wildest dreams imagine him as the next Hakeem, on defense at least.

Of course, in reality I have to remember that I thought the same thing about Michael Olowokandi.

8. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

And we all know how that turned out...

BUST it wide open

[​IMG]

I say we trade out of the lottery if possible and try to stock up on first round picks for next year, unless we have a chance at one of the top 4 players.

9. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Who's that?! Is he in the Draft?!....oh whatever, its not even relevant... :p

Here's a summery of "Donatas Motiejunas" Strengths & Weaknesses:

Height: 7'0(w/out shoes)

Best Case Scenario: Dirk Nowitzki/ Andrea Bargnani

Worst Case Scenario: Channing Frye

Strengths: he is a legitimate 7'0 w/out shoes; with- Excellent skill-level and very agile; Mismatch Potential, no big will be able to stay infront of him, due to his PG like first step; also has great Scoring instincts; Ability to create own shot; Ball-handling skills w/either hand; his excellent hands and footwork will allow him to develop a beast of a post game, when he adds muscle to his frame; Turnaround jumper; Left-handed; has been playing against high Level of competition; good passer, with good court vision; Ability to run the floor; Near explosive athleticism due to his strong legs and quick feet; has range to NBA 3pt line and farther; Pick and roll potential; Also has a reported 9'4 standing reach, and in combination with his athleticism, will allow him to have an impact on the defensive end, when he gets stronger...

Weaknesses: not always agressive(think Yao rookie year); gives up post position due to lack of strength; At times seems bored on the court; Doesn't dominate his competition the way he could with his immense talent; Will have to adapt to American culture, and playing style of the NBA; also the majority of his game is on the perimeter, but has shown ability to play in the post and absorb contact

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/E37MBYJ-w7k&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/E37MBYJ-w7k&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

His favorite player in the NBA is Luis Scola, he referred to him as "Scola, Luis"

--RB

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Donatas >>>Whiteside

One has the B-Ball IQ of a 4 year college player and the other is an immature child.

Donatas would be great here. He has solid range and good -great passing skills. He does need to work on rebounding and defense around the rim though.

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Saying he needs work is being kind, he is one of the worst defenders and rebounders in Italy, and that's Italy.

He is a good offensive weapon, but this team is loaded with offensive weapons, we need defense.

12. saintja2

saintja2 Contributing Member

Based mostly on the scouting reports. I have a hard time seeing any "bigs" earning playing time next year outside of Aldrich, Patterson, Cousins or Favors. Patterson we probably don't want and the rest are out of our reach at least as of right now.

If Morey is willing to take on a project, so be it but assuming that whoever we draft is going to help with our interior defense etc. NEXT season, is most likely completely wishful thinking.

And in 4 years, some if not most of these "projects" are competing for a spot in Maccabi Tel Aviv or Panathinaikos (If Greece hasn't self-destructed by then) with Hilton Armstrong.

My gut feeling is that Morey trades the pick.

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Morey has talked about Trading Up or down in the draft. Makes me think he has his sights set on someone or some people in particular but Motiejunas probably isnt that. His game at least in his first year could mirror David Andersens with alot more potential.Morey will take the best player available and will not draft upon need, but he could take a player with value that could potentially help us more now rather than in 5 years.

14. dragonz

dragonz Member

wait, what? I'd like to read a mock draft that is NOT guessing at this moment, sir.

15. Dubious

With the draft in June and free agency in July that becomes problematic.
    Can we ask Toronto who they would like us to pick?

16. dragonz

dragonz Member

Bust happens to the big men most of time, because they are hard to come by so teams are willing to take on the chances. But still the candyman pick amazed me 'till nowdays.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

No they can't. I would also like to keep that pick for us. They can have the Knicks picks and Hill or Budinger.

18. Dubious

At the time, the candy man appeared to have all the makings of a physical beast. It would be a good study to go back and see how everyone (me) could have been so wrong so as to not repeat the mistake.

19. saintja2

saintja2 Contributing Member

He was a physical specimen. Injuries took that away eventually but the impression he left me was that he didn't really love the game or have the necessary drive to succeed in it at the very top level.

That's why it's always a major red flag when a scouting report reads "no bbiq, not aggressive, doesn't dominate as he should etc."

There's always somebody who is willing a take a shot (even in the lottery) with these guys and hope they can change. I rather have it be somebody else than us.

20. dragonz

dragonz Member

The problem with judging a big man prospect is that ppl only look at the physical upsides. But with other positions, because there are respectively more choices on players, teams look at their skill sets as well. It is a widespread misunderstanding that big men with physical upsides can be trained to develop a skill set that suits his NBA career, well, maybe not a misunderstanding, but lets say it is the risk that most NBA team are willing to take. But the fact is a lot of the high picks never developed the skill, name some, Olowokandi, Darko, Kawme Brown.