1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Getting toned for the summer (advice)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by NateNate, Mar 28, 2010.

1. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

Actually yea, if you order p90x it will provide you everything you are looking for. A scheduled workout and nutrition guide

2. NateNate

NateNate Member

Hmm isn't p90X a workout for home? i don't really want to waist my gym membership. since everyone is high on this p90X... will it build muscle? in the long term i want to gain muscle. That is the main goal, not losing weight

3. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

yea it will build muscle. You're not gonna be super huge. Yes it is better to do at home. You would look pretty silly running around the gym trying to do p90. You say you don't want to waste your gym membership, but it sounds like you already are by making this thread.

4. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

It has I have gotten bigger biceps, and chest in only my first 3 weeks like serious amounts of gain vs P90x, I read that was because P90x requires too many hours and your muscles don't get time to recover. This is about a 1 hour, 4x a week workout and you get recovery time.

OP on 2nd quote, I think he is right, I would add in a 5x5 Deadlift in there, that would help a lot.

I just completely forgot when making this workout. It is good because Deadlift & Squats are the KING of exercises, and they provide big gains.

I'd also recommend cutting carbs out of your diet for 3-5 hours before you sleep (BUT make sure you eat them throughout the early parts of the day and before you workout because without it you won't have energy)

Also go to bed a bit hungry just stuff yourself on water and you will likely get up once in the middle of the night to pee but in the morning you will love how your body looks.

Also random side notes cut out "white." Switch white bread with wheat bread and stuff like that. Anything that is breaded DO NOT EAT IT, absolutely the biggest killer to a diet. And UP your fiber content anyway possible (fruits, wheat bread, supplements), you will poop multiple times for first few days (completely normal) if you have been eating poorly for a while.

Final note: The first week you will see noticable loss around your midsection because your body will be pissing and pooping out all kinds of junk that is stored in the body, but this is first workout I've done where I gained noticable size on my upper body which I am pretty skinny because I've run a lot my whole life so seeing upper body gain is pretty exciting to me.

You are actually right, I guess I forgot, I honestly just started this, and I think my back has a big headstart I used to do deadlifts a lot, but the squats help with back some, so it's not like it is tiny. I'll add them in. Thanks.

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

47% body fat!

6. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

It will build strength more than muscle. I def got stronger doing this but since you are doing such a strenous workout not at your max weight for a long interval you are really just not able to have your muscles grow like you want.

Really P90x if you cut it down to a 5 exercises a day of higher weights rather than the 15-20 it is now, it would be super effective I believe, but obvious that is my opinion and I am fairly skinny so I have a little trouble putting on muscle, people who put on muscle easily, but have trouble losing body fat probably would be well off doing P90x + nutrition.

7. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

Also I figure you want an idea of a diet.

To me a diet is something that I can cheat on occasionally as well as something that I can cook food easily and have food that I'm not sick of. (I get lazy to cook food that isn't gonna satisfy like KFC does).

So my diet is pretty freaking simple and I think it is doing a pretty good job:
    Add veggies wherever you want you can eat veggies whenever and a decent amount of them def healthiest thing you can eat. (Just not TOO much be reasonable)

Breakfast:
    Eggs + Jennie-O Turkey Bacon/Canadian Bacon OR Protein Shake (Recommend Syntha-6, great supplement and tastes amazingly good, only protein shake I can say that about) either one w/ Milk

Snack:
    Fruit or Yogurt + Protein Bar

Lunch:
    Meat Sandwich (I get some turkey burgers from HEB but Meat slices work or chicken burgers, just not hamburgers unless you can find lean ones)

Snack:
    Protein Shake (in milk) + String Cheese

Dinner:
    Some sort of starch (rice/spagghetti) + some meat (something you can make easy maybe a piece of chicken, you can cook like 7 pieces one time then just microwave 1 piece a day and make it easy on yourself). Maybe add shrimp to this (really easy to make if it is peeled/devained)

Snack Late night:
    Protein Shake (in water) (see a trend? You really do need protein in every meal, 1g/lb of body fat usually does the trick).

Late Late Night Snacks:
    Water as much as you can drink.

Cut out all kinds of stuff to drink besides Water & Milk, (yes even Juice and stuff, eat fruits and veggies instead).

Then give yourself 1 cheat day a week or 1 cheat meal (I'd do meal because you have a specific goal in mind) and eat whatever the f you want, get as unhealthy as you want. It actually shouldn't harm your body much if at all because your body will get a shock from this and then next week it will work hard metabolizing again because of the fact that it "thinks" you are still eating this unhealthy thing (I am not 100% on this fact but I've read a bunch of crap on google and most say this seems to be the case, some just say take a cheat meal because of the fact that this diet gets old).

And there you have it. I think that's a pretty solid approach, and just do smart thinks like if you HAVE to eat out just pick smarter choices: Grilled over fried and stuff.

8. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

Side Side note, I had man boobs for a good amount of time, chest exercises aren't gonna get rid of them, diet will (and they are one of the first things to go, it goes stomach, man boobs, then love handles/pooch).

Chest exercises are great for making you look better but if you have a layer of fat on top of the muscle it really does no good just having the muscle.

9. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

like the guy said earlier read the forums in the bodybuilding website
    diet and workouts everythings there

10. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

just don't mention 'toned' over there. you will more than likely be mocked or ignored.

i'll save you some research on the site: lift heavy things and eat proteins, but at a caloric deficit.

11. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

lol yeah ...

also just study on things that work for you.

I for instance hate protein shakes, so I prefer regular milk, which is pretty effective for post work outs because it gives you protein and helps you bones.

Also drink water a lot, eat small meals, work out consistently and have something to look forward to at the gym. For me, it's basketball. I will be using a jump rope a lot. I'm going to join a rec league to motivate myself into getting in peak form this summer.

Also make a vow... cut out fastfood and sugary beverages.. or limit these to once in a blue moon. Plan you meals and don't be afraid to not finish rice/potatoes/fried/breaded items.

12. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

furthermore... the stomach will shrink and expand depending on the amount you put in it... small meals help shrink your stomach a bit so you get full faster.

avoid carbination like the plague, even diet soda, these stretch your stomach, making you want more when you eat in order to feel full.

13. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

No problemo. By simply adding deadlifts and chinups, not only will you strengthen your back, but the compound nature of both exercises will lead to some sick muscle gains. A lot of guys tend to neglect everything that isn't their chest, arms or stomach. You clearly understand the importance of squats, etc. Not working out your entire body is like learning how to just shoot 3s in basketball... without working on ball handling, defense and a post game.

There is also so much to learn about proper nutrition and diet. If you are in fat burn mode, it's crucial to eat as many meals a day that you can. You will fool your body into thinking it doesn't need to hold onto the fat it already has. If you are also trying to put on muscle... PROTEIN PROTEIN PROTEIN. Just consuming 1 serving of whey protein after your workouts will yield some results. I would recommend starting off with that if you don't take anything now. As you get more advanced and have done more of your own research, you should start to add in different types of proteins at different times of the day.

Age is also a big factor in results. I'm assuming the OP is pretty young. I'm almost 30 and it takes a lot more work to get results than it used to (I'm 5'9 180 lbs, 9-11% body fat comfortably). When I'm 40, it's going to be exponentially harder than it is now. All you can do is learn your body and your mind (how to stay motivated). As we get older, our reasons for having a healthy body change. In your 20s it's about looking good and getting the ladies. In your 30s, pretty much the same thing but it's great disease prevention since heart attacks are likely to happen in your 40s. I'm sure you could come up with a large list of reasons to be healthy in your 40s, 50s, 60s, etc.

14. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Anyone else read the title as "Getting stoned for the summer?"

15. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Do you have to pay for P90x to do it right?

16. NateNate

NateNate Member

thanks. yeah i pretty much got the diet thing down. I know what to eat, most of my research has been on the food side. I just wanna pick the right workout routine so i don't waste time.

17. NateNate

NateNate Member

My brother actually tried the p90x that's why i am kinda oppose to it. He says its a great way to get in shape and its exhausting but for bigger gains maybe not. He still has it on his computer so i might check it out. O and i go to the gym 3 or 4 times a week, i just play ball.... really the reason i signed up

18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

p90x, Insanity, etc, are workouts for people who are already in good shape. I think the biggest reason why they are for people who have been working out is the discipline required. It's hard to go from nothing to 100mph and keep it up. I think you're better off doing something that you can stick with than going for the gold and petering out.

I agree with other posters:

-Tons of water
    -5-6 small meals (I do EAS Carb Advantage shakes when I'm on the go- $26 for 24 at Sams Club. Or string cheese, also cheap at Sams club)
    -One cheat meal or day a week (Or eat well all day allow yourself some alcohol if you go out)
    -Cut out high-sodium foods (Processed meats like sausage and hamburger, also bacon, fried stuff).
    -Cut out most of your carbs, unless you have a physical job. Keep eating small amounts of green veggies.

As for building your tone, nothing works better than good form. If you are paying attention to form, your body is going to be working out- your abs, back, etc, are all going to be working to stabilize you.

If you want size and definition in your arms, I'd suggest Preacher Curls, Hammer Curls and then Concentration Curls. The first two are great all-around workouts, concentration curls are a great 'glamor muscles' workout.

19. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

started Insanity yesterday and I can already tell that it's going to work.

20. mj10501

mj10501 Contributing Member

www.crossfit.com

a new workout of the day (WOD) is posted daily, with a 3 day on, 1 day off schedule. similar to p90x, it utilizes muscle confusion to maintain consistent gains, but you need the equipment found in a gym for most of the WODs. all the movements can be found on the site with video demos.

the key is to scale the weight to your ability but maintain the number of reps as prescribed in the workouts. if your goal is to gain functional strength, speed, and endurance, this program will get you there...along with a lean, toned body, assuming you really attack the workouts.

crossfit nutrition is based on a paleo diet, which i've wanted to try, but i get by on cutting out sodas, fast food, etc. again, there's more info on the site in case you're interested. intensity is the key to any workout, so keep that in mind no matter what route you choose to follow.