1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

From '08-'09 to '10-'11, Have we gotten better? (Poll)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket_Boy_34, Mar 23, 2010.

?

Have we gotten better from 2008 to 2010?

1. Yes, we are better now than we were in '08.

53.8%
  2. No, we are worse now than we were in '08.

30.1%
  3. No, we have basically the same talent as we did in '08.

16.1%
  1. Rocket_Boy_34

Rocket_Boy_34 Member

My goal: Below is a fairly simple analysis of our 2008-2009 starting roster, as compared to our roster at the end of the 2009-2010 season. Making the huge assumption that we will keep the players we have and not add any others going into next year, have we gotten better between 2008 and 2010? Which roster would you take, and why? I have chosen not to include scoring averages, etc., because as the league team scoring averages go up and down year to year, it wouldn't be a fair tool for assessment. (Note: This is not intended to be an assessment of one individual player, good or bad. This is an overall team assessment.)

10/2008- McGrady, Artest, and Yao made up the Rocket's version of the "big three," following the trend of a handful of other successful teams.

4/2009- Prior to Yao's injury last year, but after we'd been able to watch them play together for a couple of months, most would agree that we were a legit top 10 team, but not a true title contender.

2/2010- Prior to this year's big trade, we all knew that the team we had was a #8 playoff seed at best. Of course, we hoped that we'd either pull of a trade, or get enough cap money to sign a big-time free agent.

4/2010- After the big trade, most of us collectively let out a sigh of relief. We now have Brooks at the point, with a year more experience under is belt (With Lowry playing huge doses of minutes of the bench as well). We have replaced McGrady with Martin, and Artest with Ariza, while keeping the 2008-2009 power forward (Scola), and bringing back Yao after a year of rehab.

Instead of our bench being made up of Landry, Wafer, and Head, Deke, and Hayes, we now have Budinger, Battier, Lowry, Hill, and Jeffries.

Alston/ Brooks.....................Brooks/ Lowry
    McGrady/ Battier..................Martin/ Budinger
    Artest/ Landry.....................Ariza/ Battier
    Scola/ Hayes.......................Scola/ Jeffries
    Yao/ Deke...........................Yao/ Hill

I'll repeat the question here: Have we gotten better between 2008 and 2010? Which roster would you take, and why?

(It may take me a second to get the poll right. Please be patient for the first few minutes.)

2. choujie

choujie Member

It will depend on how Yao plays when he comes back.

The only reason we might get better next year is because Tmac couldn't play in 08-09. Otherwise 08-09 all the way. Rockets might just beat Lakers with a healthy lineup.

3. Rocket_Boy_34

Rocket_Boy_34 Member

I'll start. I never thought Alston could be a starter for a true contender. He was a great ball-handler, and a solid defender, but consistently shot a low percentage. Brooks is a better shooter, and isn't afraid to drive or take the big shots when needed. Brooks has plenty to work on still, but I would take Brooks OR Lowry over Alston as a starter.

Even before 2008 we already knew McGrady was injury prone. He needed the ball in his hands at all times. Martin can be a part of the team play in Adelman's system, and can still score big chunks (but as noted in other places in the forum, without even being noticed). McGrady is 2008 was more proven, and had really performed well in the playoffs, albeit is comical "it's on me" comments. If I'm being honest with myself, I think I'd take the 2008 McGrady over 2010 Martin, assuming I didn't know about the downturn his career would quickly take.

Artest was fun to watch, and made sense for the team that we had at the time. Ariza had a tough start to the season, but we've seen recently what he can do when he is able to let the game come to him (with Martin, Brooks, and Scola being the more "go-to" players). I think the slight edge goes to Ariza here, because of his age and attitude (we don't have to wonder if he's going to quit and make a rap album, punch out a fan, etc.).

Scola is Scola either way. Would you rather Scola years younger, or Scola with two more years of NBA experience. Well, with what he's done since Landry's departure, I'll take the 2010 version of Scola.

You'd be crazy to take 2010 Yao over 2008 Yao, post surgery and a year of rehab. We all are hoping for the best, and some of us are even expecting it, but there is still a possibility that he won't be completely healthy, or ready to go for multiple reasons (health, endurance, etc).

As mentioned about, the bench differences are 2008's Landry, Wafer, and Head, Deke, and Hayes, vs. 2010's Budinger, Battier, Lowry, Hill, and Jeffries.

We have similar depth at the point (Brooks vs. Lowry), and much better depth at the 2/3 (Budinger vs. Head and Wafer). We've lost Deke and added Hill, which injects youth and ejects experience, while obviously losing Landry, and gaining Jeffries. This is a toss-up in my book.

Brooks, Ariza, and Scolaare all wins. Yao and McGrady v. Martin are still up in the air and could be loses, as well as the bench being a toss-up, but overall I prefer to be in the position we are in for the 2010-2011 year over the 2008-2009 season.

1 person likes this.
  4. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

Your first sentence is wrong. Can you tell me the point guard that led the Orlando Magic through the east last year to the NBA finals? OHHH YEAH was it not Alston?

Second you giving the edge to Ariza instead of Artest makes no sense. Do you think Ariza and Yao would have led the Rockets past the Blazers last year in the playoffs? I dont think so.

The 10' Rockets are a better TEAM than the 08' Rockets but have less talent. Daryl Morey better add a shot blocker this off season or we will not have a chance at making it to the NBA finals. Marcus Camby is a name that comes to mind.

A lot depends on if Hill can replace what Landry did as well as if Bud can be a consistant scorer like Von.

Only time will tell.

5. Rocket_Boy_34

Rocket_Boy_34 Member

I said "I never thought," which is past tense, which is different than the present tense, 'I don't think.' The statement "I never thought," along with the fact that we're talking about 2008 Alston, implies that I didn't think it until it happened. You can't use things that happened to a player post-2008 in an argument about the 2008 version of the player.

Regarding your second point, I gave the nod two Ariza exactly because of your third paragraph, which is that Adelman has these guys playing like a team. I agree that Adelman has them playing better than they are talent-wise, but that has to be at least partially because they are willing to buy in and not hold the ball forever and take terrible shots, as Artest was prone to do.

To your third point: I agree, somewhat. Budinger has already been about as consistent as Wafer, so that's a wash. The backup 4 spot is a little scary, but I feel like between Hill and Jeffries, we'll be okay there.

Thanks for writing out support for your argument. I'm very interested to hear other fan's take on this topic.

6. ScolaIsBallin

ScolaIsBallin Member

Easily take 2008... way more talent

7. Vienna Calling

That's it. I really think it comes down to the question how good Yao will be next season. If his production and efficiency equals or comes close to his performance in 2008 we should be better than we were in 2008.

8. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

IDK, if its fair to compare the two, the 08-09 team was a healthy Yao away from knocking out the Lakers and possibly winning the champions ship IMO....given that the next two teams they would have faced Denver & Orlando struggled against us...

--RB

9. Rocket_Boy_34

Rocket_Boy_34 Member

It's fair, if you think that we have a chance to contend for the title in 2010-2011, but it's not if you don't think we can. Either opinion is legit, but that's the whole premise of the discussion.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Another poll? Why don't we rename the GARM and make it Game Action Polls Even Roster Stuff. GAPERS.

"What are you doing, honey?"

"Going to GAPERS to check out Andersen's new jeans!"

11. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

I misunderstood what you were saying. My bad.

12. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

I'd say 2008-2009 was a much better team on paper at the beginning of the season. The talent level was extraordinary last year, but unfortunately injuries and chemistry (for the first half of the season) were a bit of of a set back. That's not to say the 2010-2011 roster has no shot at success. I can still see us in the spotlight as a legitimate title contender as is, but I don't hold as high of expectations for this team as I did a season ago.

13. Rocket_Boy_34

Rocket_Boy_34 Member

Another person complaining about a post, rather than responding to it? Why don't we something something something...

Kidding. You're right. A lot of polls...maybe this is what happens when we all start accepting that the season's pretty much over.

14. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

if every one was healthy i like the 08 team.

15. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

It appears you are assuming Yao will be the only real addition to the squad next year but we already know Morey has said trades, FA acquisition along with a lottery pick will happen this offseason so it's unfair to compare next year squad. Also are you using the potentially healthy 2008-09 big 3 or what they reality ended up being? Post Alston trade or pre Alston trade?

2008-09 was much better then 2009-10 because the 09-10 squad was missing an all-star center and rising star SG for 2/3 of the season.

16. Rocket_Boy_34

Rocket_Boy_34 Member

You're kidding, right? All of your questions are answered in the original post.

"Making the huge assumption that we keep all of the players we have and don't add any other next year" (because we can't accurately predict who we will get next year).

"2008...............................2010
    Alston/ Brooks.....................Brooks/ Lowry
    McGrady/ Battier..................Martin/ Budinger
    Artest/ Landry.....................Ariza/ Battier
    Scola/ Hayes.......................Scola/ Jeffries
    Yao/ Deke...........................Yao/ Hill"

The fact that the comparison is between our team at the start of 2008 vs. the potential start of 2010-2011 implies that you can't use injuries after '08 to make decisions about the start of '08.

17. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Unfortunately, we haven't gotten better. But, to be fair, if we kept the same group, it would be worse than current situation because of aging & injuries.

18. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

1) Can't make that assumption, the team WILL change, no question because it was part of the plan Morey has set in motion, so how can I compare a team that will NOT be the same next year?

2) You are using what the team was at the beginning of the 2008 season but in reality what is the point because it wasn't the team we ended up being? Sorry, don't mean to sound argumentative but your comparing potential to reality? Alston and TMAC weren't with the team for it's more important stretches.

3) Injuries must be taken into account because they HAPPENED. Morey built this the team with the idea that if TMAC couldn't go the team still had Artest/Yao to do battle.

Just to clarify point 3 - We all knew there was a chance TMAC wouldn't be healthy to start the season including Morey thus Artest was brought in with the HOPE that he would complete the big 3 but also insurance incase it didn't happen.

#18 rockets934life, Mar 23, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  19. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Yes, we get better, of course Yao has to return at least 85% form of 2008.

"2008......................2010
    Alston/ Brooks << Brooks/ Lowry
    McGrady/ Battier < Martin/ Budinger
    Artest/ Landry = Ariza/ Battier
    Scola/ Hayes = Scola/ Jeffries
    Yao/ Deke = Yao/ Hill"

20. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

IMHO, if Yao were playing this season I could see us in a battle for the #1 seed in the Western Conference even without Martin. Martin makes us best in the West. There is no reason to believe otherwise based on our magical run of nearly ousting the Lakers in last years semifinals without a stud shooting guard. We have definitely improved.

If Hill works as hard as Landry did last offseason and develops a consistent mid-range jumper, Landry will have already been largely replaced. Hill is already better on the boards and a better shot blocker. Budinger looks to be coming along nicely. Hopefully Scola and Lowry are both resigned, but I have a feeling one might bolt for financial reasons. Who knows what Morey can do in the off-season/draft. Those two Knick picks plus our likely lottery pick could just land us a high draft pick, or another veteran.

I think its pretty clear we still need a reliable backup for Yao for any article to be written that says the a championship "comes through Houston". I'd so love to pry Camby or Pryzbilla from Portland.