1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would The Rockets Want A High Draft Pick?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MoJoV3, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Steve_Francis_rules

What you're really asking is would the Rockets want a player like Ricky Rubio (#5 pick) when they could have a player like Chase Buddinger for cheaper? Would the Rockets want a player like Russell Westbrook (#4 pick) when they could have a player like Donte Green for cheaper?

The answer is obviously yes.

2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

3. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Ouch. My feeling's hurt. I may not be able to sleep today. :(

4. saintja2

saintja2 Contributing Member

I would say it depends on a draft, the market for picks and your definition of "high pick".

If by high pick you mean anything from say 1 to 7, I'm sure Morey thinks they are great value on average, as you most likely get a solid underpaid contributor for 4 years and have a chance to land a real star sometimes.

Later lottery picks, for example 8-14 range are not nearly as valuable. Some drafts are deep in a sense that there are quality prospects available even at late tens and even into 20s. But sometimes the quality of draftees drops drastically after the first few picks and you would be better off with a few early second-rounders than a guy taken at 12 with guaranteed contract for a few years.

And sometimes there is a market for the picks even if the players themselves are not good value in reality. Not every team or its GM is fiscally responsible (or smart).

5. MoJoV3

MoJoV3 Member

lol are you telling me or asking me what I was asking.....I see your point...but say, hypothetically speaking, the Rockets did draft Rubio, or Westbrook (who's making $3.7 mil this year, and 4 mil next year) http://hoopshype.com/salaries/oklahoma_city.htm...how would that have affected the NY/Sac trade? Given what the Rox cap situation would be.

6. MoJoV3

MoJoV3 Member

on that link, delete "...how"

7. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

I'm praying we have a Chicago Bulls outcome in this draft!

Other than that, Morey did like Thabeet, and right now he hasn't lived up to his potential, though I think he will pan out well when its all said and done.

8. MoJoV3

MoJoV3 Member

lol and I'm stupid?....."My feeling('s) hurt"? It's your feelings are hurt..........."I may not be able to sleep today"? Your lazy ass shouldn't be sleep during the day anyway.

9. redao

redao Member

ouch. such a stupid thread............

10. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

I thought you had me on ignore. What happened?

Nice comeback by the way. Isn't it nice that you can always resort to correcting grammar mistakes when everything else fails? :grin:

11. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

I say Morey packages this years 1st and next years New Yorks swap option, plus the NY 2012 pick to move up into this strong draft. He's going to be wheelin and dealing for sure, armed with all those assets.

12. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Short of the #1 overall pick (which will NOT be traded by whoever gets it), I don't know if I'd trade ALL of those assets just to move up in this draft.

Maybe for the #2 pick and Evan Turner. But maybe not even then.

13. wfox

wfox Member

Are you high?

14. MoJoV3

MoJoV3 Member

I was last night...your point?

15. jump shooter

Bima agree with you to a certain extent, but all depends on how much the rockets scouts value a particular player at a certain pick and I don't think giving up all those assets can get them into the top 3. Moving one of next years NY swap or NYs 2012 1st may be a forgone conclusion. I would be shocked if Morey stood pat without trying to move up.

16. wfox

wfox Member

Nothing, just sounds like the logic I would use whilst baked (i.e., f****d up logic).

Someone probably already mentioned this, but where did you get 4.3 million? Hill is making half that this year, bout the same as Chuck Hayes.

Secondly, why in the world would you NOT want a high draft pick? That's like asking if you would like to trade in your Hot n Spicy for a Kobe tenderloin, or a lifetime supply of chipotle. The talent to salary ratio is extremely good, even for those in the late lottery; Thaddeus Young, Al Thornton, Anthony Randolph.

OKC must be so PEEVED that they are paying outrageous salaries for Westbrook and Durant. 6 mil a year?! Heaven forbid.

17. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Franchise players are almost always found high in the lottery. The NBA has a rookie salary scale, which makes good lottery picks a bargain. If this was the NFL you would have a point.

Tyreke Evans, Stephen Curry, and Brandon Jennings are making a fraction of what they would get on the open market.

Daryl Morey is good, but even he would prefer having the 5th pick over the 50th pick.

18. jump shooter

Would love to be in and around the area of having a shot at picking Cole Aldrich if he comes out. The kids a beast.

19. devilsdandruff

if you're given the opportunity you take it.
    why would a team not want a high draft pick.

20. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Why wouldn't the Rockets want a high draft pick? Morey does well by picking good productive players late in the draft but think of what players he can get if he have a shot at the lottery? If you think Brooks Landry and C-Bud are good, think about players Morey can draft like Westbrook or Evans or superstars players in the making.

If we have a high lottery pick and have a chance to draft a superstar player, I say the smartest thing to do is go for it and keep him. I rather draft a superstar player from the draft and watch him lead this team other than trading him for Bosh.