1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[chron] Judge grants motion declaring death penalty unconstitutional

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by oomp, Mar 4, 2010.

1. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6897252.html

Judge grants motion declaring death penalty unconstitutional

By BRIAN ROGERS HOUSTON CHRONICLE
    March 4, 2010, 2:13PM

Houston judge this afternoon declared the death penalty unconstitutional in a pretrial hearing in response to a motion from defense lawyers.

State District Judge Kevin Fine's ruling is unlikely to withstand appellate review.

Fine granted a motion from defense attorney Bob Loper to declare Texas' death penalty unconstitutional. Further details about the motion were not immediately available.

Fine, a judicial maverick, was elected in the 2008 Democratic near sweep of Harris County's benches. The judge came under fire last year for questioning a victim during the punishment phase of rape trial.

The defendant in Thursday's hearing, John Edward Green, Jr., is accused of fatally shooting a Houston woman and injuring her sister on June 16, 2008.

Green, 23, faces charges in the shooting death of Huong Thien Nguyen, 34. Nguyen and her sister, My Huong Nguyen, had returned to their home in the 6700 block of Bellaire Gardens about 1:20 a.m. Sunday, when police said Green approached them, made a demand and shot them.

Huong Thien Nguyen died at the scene. Her sister was taken to Ben Taub General Hospital in critical condition.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Shot both of these girls

[​IMG]

killing a mom in front of her two kids and putting her sister in critical condition.

If found guilty, kill him.

4. SunsRocketsfan

agreed.. if found guilty kill him..

just like the case recentl of Chelsea King. I say hang the rapist and murderer.

5. da_juice

da_juice Member

What always interests me with the death penalty is what hurts them more? By killing them they don't have to think about what they did, most of these crazy murderers just want to die(like wesley dodson), I think the suffer more in a dirty prison cell

6. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

This shows why it is good to have elected judges.

7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Out system isn't designed to make a person suffer. Is that not the same thing as torture?

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Why bother? He'll be overturned, and doesn't he just hurt his reputation with judges up the food chain? Or is he grandstanding for the electorate?

9. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

The death penalty makes absolutely no sense to me. It doesn't work as a deterent, it costs tax payers more than life in prison for these guys and all these convicted murders make peace with God and think they are going to Heaven anyway.

10. wfox

wfox Member

I really wish there was some more unbiased data on the economic side. Both groups say that their option is the less expensive. The tentative general consensus is that, while the cost of execution is much less than living expenses for 15+ years in prison, the extra legal fees and court costs that are involved in death row appeals, hearings, and evidence reviews make it about equal to a 20-25 year prison term. But again, it is nearly impossible to find statistics that haven't been skewed one way or another.

Unfortunately, this is just a stupid judge having a 'look at me' moment. No way in hell this gets past the State Supreme Court. All this does is cost tax payers more money for appeals that will eventually be overturned. Hooray.

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Tick, tock, tick, tock... goes the thread-bomb.

12. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Not a fan. I happen to believe a judge's job, especially in our $100 dollar chicken dinner government, is to make unpopular decisions.

13. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Looks like somebody earned his retainer. Nice pass, Staubach.

14. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

And also why you should research candidates instead of voting down ticket.

15. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

So you can get some wackjob on a bench that will totally ignore long decided law and cost the taxpayers thousands of dollars on what is a needless appeal.

Yeah...what a great idea.

16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

We are the only industrialized country other than japan that does executions.

17. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

There were also long decided laws that slaves were property too.

18. meh

meh Contributing Member

It doesn't? I remember reading a few years back that crimes went up when states repealed the death penalty, and came back down again when they reinstated. I could be wrong though.

This is the stupidest part of the American death penalty system. You either abolish it, or apply it like the Chinese: bullet to the head and be done with it. Doing the middle ground like us is just horrible.

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The only problem I have with the death penalty is that innocent people have been executed (evidence that later came out that proved their innocence).

So I think the death penalty would need a stay of at least 20 years if requested by the guy on death row just to make sure the state doesn't kill innocent people. It's happened enough times to give pause I think.

Frankly, if it were up to me, I'd say every child molester, violent rapist, and cold blooded murderer should be given the death penalty. Society just doesn't need these people - but again, you have to be 100% sure they are guilty, not even 99.99%.

1 person likes this.
  20. LScolaDominates

Sharon Keller?