1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey: Rockets Will Replace Landry Through Draft

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by LongTimeFan, Feb 24, 2010.

1. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

As far as Aldrich is concerned, I couldn't disagree more. I included them because I think the Rockets would also consider the backup center spot when looking at the bigs. We haven't had a legitimate backup for Yao since Dikemebe retired; picking up Aldrich would be a steal. It would also give us some insurance in case Yao can't come back 100%.

2. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Or Goodbye Brooks(bosh trade), If we were to draft Bradley, theres no need for two combo guards, I would prefer to stay with Lowry and trade Brooks...Bradley PG/SG is shooting 40% from three this year...

In addition, theres rumors that Jordan Hamilton 6'7 (Texas) is gonna be one and done, trying to avoid the 2011 NBA draft, just like what Morey was referring to about player coming out early, IMO Jordan Hamilton Isn't quite ready to play in the league yet, but if he does come out he'll probably be a late 1st, which he could make him obtainable ...a nice back-up to Martin, while developing him at the sametime....

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VTiPGkqWVQ0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VTiPGkqWVQ0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

We can pretty much use this Draft to replace everything we might lose in the possible Bosh Trade....(Bradley, Hamilton, Monroe, etc)

--RB

3. LongTimeFan

via DraftExpress:

4. LongTimeFan

Also, for the Cousins naysayers:

via DraftExpress:

(Technically, he didn't say it, but he re-tweeted it which leads me to believe he agreed. He's been very supportive of Cousins against people claiming he has attitude and mental problems.)

5. LifeisButaDream

I am liking this Aminu kid.

6. LongTimeFan

He has as many fouls as he does points today (4). There's a lot to like about him, but this is an odd game for you to declare it. :)

7. LifeisButaDream

I take him over Ariza anyday. :grin:

8. LongTimeFan

9. Shaud

Shaud Member

Patterson is a very good player in the post. The problem earlier this year was us not posting him up. Now that we have posted him up more the offense has looked better outside of today which he only had 6 shot attempts.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

One way to replace Landry through the draft is to trade the draft pick to Sacramento for Landry.

I don't know if Carl is fitting in with the Evans-centered team as well as he does with the Rockets.

11. LongTimeFan

Feel free to share your thoughts on him and how he'd translate to the NBA. I haven't seen him much, was mostly just assuming stuff off the stuff I've read. Hard to get the spotlight with both Wall and Cousins on your team.

12. wfox

wfox Member

No, this can't happen. If it does, the universe will begin to implode and collapse within itself because Daryl Morey will have obtained a level of awesomeness described by the laws of physics as sheer lunacy.

13. wfox

wfox Member

Really? I'd like to know what you see in Aldrich that would raise him above Monroe etc. I don't question his defensive ability or shot-blocking, but he seems to struggle against high-quality big men. He had poor games against Texas and Baylor recently, and for the brief-stints when he was matched up against Griffin last year, he was abused.

Maybe I'm being a little harsh. He'll probably end up being a great role player. Maybe he'll end up being like Hibbert. But I feel like a lottery pick should be spent on a potential star or impact player, and I don't think that Aldrich has shown the offensive fire power or athleticism to warrant it.

14. LongTimeFan

I'm not necessarily saying we should pick him over Monroe. If he slips to us, I would think Monroe would have gone before him. I was more against the stance that he barely shows enough ability to be a backup-C or that he was less talented than Thabeet. I think he's a big body, good shot blocker and defender. He may never be a star, and that may be reason enough not to select him, but I think he'll be a solid player in the league.

We desperately need size and big bodies on this team - having Yao/Deke did wonders for our team defense.

15. Egghead

Egghead Member

sleeeper pick... Craig Brackins 6-10 PF from Iowa State.

He was highly recruited coming out of high school
    http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Craig-Brackins-40800
    ...would have been a lottery pick if he came out last year.. having a down year this year, he's currently projected a late 1st- early 2nd round pick

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/craig-brackins
    NBA Comparison: Shareef Abdur-Rahim

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Craig-Brackins-1147/
    Best Case: Channing Frye
    Worst Case: Marc Salyers

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WZdelSuiYJk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WZdelSuiYJk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

16. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Can someone imagine how crazy the city of Houston would go if we won the lottery like the Bulls did a couple of years ago?

wow

17. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

This is the only reason I would bring back Steve Francis. Maybe we'd have the same luck as last time he represented the Rockets at the draft. :grin:

18. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Exactly right. This statement seems like a head-fake by Morey. Jordan Hill was a lottery pick (#8) by the New York Knicks last year. He really does appear to be quite talented, but as often happens to be the case with the big guys, it takes them a few years to fully develop into solid, well rounded NBA players. It is unlikely that the Rockets will be able to pick anyone better than Jordan Hill at power forward at 12-14 in this year's draft. And even if they do get one the power forwards you guys have been discussing , it will very probably take several years for that player to develop also.

What the Rockets really need is a solid back up at center for Yao. Someone who has skills both offensively and defensively, and is good enough initially to back him up, or eventually to stand in for him effectively if he happens to spend more time off of the court. Back up center is the weakest link on this current Houston Rockets team, as we have been witnessing live and in technicolor all season.

Since Jordan Hill could very well be our answer to fill Carl Landry's position at backup power forward, I am not convinced that the Rockets are really all that interested in selecting a power forward with their #1 pick in the draft this year.

19. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Whiteside has Thabeet/Darko written all over him. I hope the j*zz get him with the NY pick (and he does turn out to fit my comparison).

20. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Well not necessarily a PF, but a 6'11+ guy than can play both PF/C and get away with it....

Like Monroe, Aldrich, Montiejunas, Sanders, Vesely, Favors, Whiteside, etc....

any of this guys in combination with Jordan Hill coming of the bench could be a pretty good duo..... :eek:

Plus you never know what could happen in the draft, Rudy Gay was projected a top 3 pick(even possible #1) and he dropped all the way to 8th.....the same thing happens every year a really good player drops, and its Morey's duty to be prepared if such a scenario were to unfold....

PS. I think that Derrick Favors is gonna drop, quiet possibly to our position at 11th (which is what I think will end up in)...JMO... :eek:

--RB