1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Philly Inquirer] Trade rumors swirling around 76ers' Iguodala(McGrady)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsPimp, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

Where do they sit right now in the next draft i'm curious myself. Something to investigate.

2. Karolik

Karolik Member

He seems to know what he's saying..he plays Houston perfectly..saying they're sitting back and waiting/collecting offers...sounds like morey to me.

3. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

It'd be nice to have a PG that can dunk ;):

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5TuEY_XJGVE&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5TuEY_XJGVE&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

4. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

I went through quite a few scenarios myself, some that had ulterior motives and hidden agendas behind it.

Like shipping Llull our first pick to get Sacramento to bite on Dalembert for Iggy and Williams. Why? maybe they trade both those picks to the #2 pick, think about that, but this also ties into Martin going to Houston. Then Butler to Houston, then Martin+Butler for Bosh during the offseason.

5. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

I'm not going to leak out my scenario, but i will tell you the teams involved i think.

Washington - will get pieces for Butler/Haywood, Portland/Houston.

Philly - All they need is cap space to my knowledge, Houston/Sacramento/Philly.

Sacramento - Team with hidden agendas and ulterior motives.

Portland - wild card team for Haywood, either at the deadline or during the offseason.

Dallas - not in my scenario, wont make a major deal, wrong contracts, out of trade talks just listening around.

Boston - Ellis/Maggette addition.

Golden State - Allen/Rondo addition.

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Nothing new, just a writer's rant:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...y__Time_for_Sixers_to_make_a_fresh_start.html

Bob Cooney: Time for Sixers to make a fresh start

DO IT, Ed. Just do it.

Pull up the lever from the big black box, and lower it fast and with all the strength you can muster and blow up the franchise.

The trade deadline is now 2 weeks away. General manager Ed Stefanski has to take a whole new approach than anticipated at this time, since his team has tumbled to a 17-31 record.

Before this season started, fans didn't expect to contend for a title. A top-four seeding in the Eastern Conference was probably a reach, too.

What was totally unexpected was this: a season of utter disappointment and a team totally void of any type of character.

So it's time, Ed. Time to implode. Have a fire sale like no other in franchise history. Ideally, and this is not breaking news, it would be great for the Sixers to get rid of any player and as much salary as they can, and take as little back as they can.

Let's talk about the money. No significant salaries come off the books after this season. Andre Iguodala, perhaps the most attractive name as rumors swirl about possible trades, is under contract for 4 more years after this, maxing out at just under $16 million for the 2013-14 season.

I've stated many times before that Iguodala is just not in the right role here. He is being asked to be the star of this team, when actually he would be better suited as a co-star, or even better, a third option on a team that has a couple of stars. Nothing against Iguodala, who continually puts up good numbers even if his on-court personality doesn't draw in fans, but get what you can for him and do it immediately. Dallas, Cleveland, Phoenix, whoever it is, get what you can and cut ties and, hopefully, take little salary back beyond this year.

This Sixers team needs to both come into money and not make the playoffs - maybe not be in playoff contention for a couple of years, to truly turn things around from what was stubborn mediocrity that has now turned into bad.

The team is on the hook to Elton Brand for 3 more years, averaging about $17 million a year. Despite his recent resurgence in play, in which he's looked close to the 20-10 player that all tagged him to be when he signed here in the summer of 2008, no one in the league is looking to take on his salary. He is here to stay.

The play of center Sam Dalembert has been good for the Sixers, as he's been piling up double-doubles faster than Toyota can make recalls. After this season, he is under contract for 1 more year at $12.2 million. This is an interesting call. Has he played well enough that teams might want to take a chance on grabbing him? Don't forget, any team that does take him also must pay him a 3 percent contract kicker. Can't see anyone going for that, so Sam stays - at least for the rest of this season.

When guard Lou Williams signed his 5-year, $25 million contract before last season, I thought it was a great move by the team, even if he remained the first sub off the bench for the entire contract. My thinking was that if he was coming off the bench, the team had an established point guard and was good enough to have a player of his caliber as a sub. He was named a starter before the season, but appears to be a better fit coming off the pine. He could have many suitors.

After a successful second-year last season, many thought forward Thaddeus Young was poised for a breakout season. It really hasn't happened. In fact, like most of the team, Young has taken a step backward. Much of the problem is that he is the same type of player as Iguodala, thus searching for his place while Iguodala logs many minutes. I'd like to see what he could do if given the freedom.

Allen Iverson? I hear people saying that contenders who need one more scorer or an insurance policy at guard might want to take a chance, but I don't see it. I think he finishes his career this year with the team.

Forward Marreese Speights has 3 years left after this at cheap money. He is a tremendous offensive talent and could garner some interest.

Other players and their salaries would be throw-ins to match salaries and complete trades. So what to do? That is what keeps Stefanski working the phone lines.

"We've been through the league more than once," said Stefanski of his trade talk with other teams. "We've talked to numerous teams. You never know until it gets closer to the deadline whether a deal is going to pop or not. But we are looking for value back. If we make a trade, we are looking to improve the basketball team, not just to get rid of players."

That's the real problem. Is there enough core here to build on? And who is it? It seems this team is filled with role players, and if you can't get a superstar or two quickly, they'll continue to be that.

Stefanski went on to say: "We feel we're underachieving. We have to get better, obviously. We've been competitive, but we're not getting over the top. Does a move have to happen? It will only happen if we feel it's going to improve the basketball team. If it's a move that is going to take a step backward, we're not going to do that."

Like many fans who watch and root, Stefanski is a competitive guy. Accepting losses will never be a way of life for him, nor should it. But this franchise needs to start from scratch.

"Do we want to trade Andre Iguodala? No," Stefanski said. "But will we talk if people want to talk about him? Sure. It's just like if we talk to another team about another player. It's the same way.

"Where we are right now sitting, we don't have a lot that I would say is hot, but it's still plenty of time even though it's still a little over 2 weeks away. Things could heat up."

Sixers fans have lost patience, and attendance has plummeted. Solution? Nothing is set in stone, obviously. But if there is a way to take a couple of seasons to clean the slate, then build up again, isn't it worth a shot?

Send e-mail to cooneyb@phillynews.com

7. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

AK 47 is owed like another 17 million next yr, so they better give us NY's unprotected draft pick with him!! if we were to ever make a trade with them......something like:

Houston Gets:
    NY 1st rd unprotected draft pick(most likely 5-10)
    AK47
    Koufus
    Korver(Expiring)

Utah Gets:
    McGrady
    Cook

--RB

8. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

AK is not coming here, not sure how that rumor resurfaced. The physical wouldnt happen until after the trade, not months before.

9. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

That is another small possibility to consider. Take the pick if nothing else happens what does Houston have to lose? That would be Utah's strategy to lure Scola to Utah.

10. Tracy_ComeBack

You mean his basketball IQ higher than T-MAC, what a funny thing i hear in my life! Here, i tell you no t-mac, no champion. I used to a biggest fan of Rockets, but now i'm looking, looking one day, all of you guys will know what damn of darl and Rick, son of b****.

11. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Regarding the deal involving Gooden, I ask this one question. Where is the young asset that can grow with the young nucleus that Philly is trying to put on the floor? Gooden? Howard? Damp? Not a single one of those players would be in any long term plans for Philly and all would likely be dropped at the end of the season.

And you don't think the Rockets no how to close a deal? What? We were all singing the praises of DM last year when he took Ron Artest from Sac. Everyone thought at the time that Artest would be the 3rd superstar to go with Yao and TMac. The Rockets organization as a whole have made several big deals over the years.

12. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Not sure what you are trying to say but TMac had his chance to bring a Championship to Houston and FAILED.

13. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Artest was a big deal because we really haven't sen one in a while, but on the whole, it was a small money deal involving a player in the last year of his contract and draft picks. I'm not saying it wasn't a good deal nor am I'm minimizing it, but its not like the mcgrady deal,gasol deal or deals like that. When I think about what would be enticing from a philly perspective, i think a dallas deal would be better. Why? They can take 30m off payroll in smaller contracts. You bring up lowry, but lowry is going to be restricted and will have to be paid anyway. After clearing kapono,dalembert,and iggy for howard,damp,and gooden, at the end of the season they can offer lowry close to the mle and i can bet the rockets don't match. If they make the dallas deal before the deadline, they can move howard or dampier for another deal maybe even 2 smaller deals. Once they get mcgrady, its a wrap because his contract is so large. Look, I'm a rockets fan thru and thru, but I also look at things from the outside and imo the mavs have a better deal if they enter the bidding. Philly can take th dallas deal and get rid of kapono. Dampier for all his warts is playing and is a big man. They could move him to portland for since they're really looking for some inside help and its alot easier getting to 25% of 10m. I mean, that outlaw and steve blake for dampier. I just think dallas can trump the rockets deal, but who knows? Indy had a better deal on the table than the rockets and mcgrady wound up in houston.

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

kinda sad but I have a feeling we might end up seeing this
    [​IMG]

15. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

leebigez,

With the current salary structure of the Rockets, doing a big deal without Yao or McGrady being included takes quite a bit of <i>stacking</i> of players to have a large enough salary package. I don't know if it was stated firmly in quotes, but it has been implied in the past that Les was reluctant to trade McGrady.

Battier + Ariza + Cook + Scola + Landry make less combined than Dalembert + Iguodala combined. The salaries are close enough that a trade would be possible, but not logical to do.

When the Rockets traded with Orlando for McGrady & Co, the Rockets had to <i>stack</i> some of their highest paid players to make it work.

Yes, Cuban will spend the money and stay in <i>Luxury Tax Land</i>, but at the moment, he isn't getting much <i>Bang for his Buck</i> and San Antonio is in a similar situation of not getting maximum return on the payroll that they have playing this season.

The Mavericks are 4.5 games and the Spurs are 2 games ahead of the Rockets ahead of the Rockets. San Antonio has played 5 less Road games and 5 more Home games than the Rockets. They swung a fairly good sized deal getting Jefferson this past Summer and it doesn't seem to be working as expected for them.

16. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

You could insert any rumored guy we have in that pic. Dallas always seems to target the same players we are...odd??? Not at all.

17. acefan18

acefan18 Member

Marc Stein
    espn.com

"The NBA's Feb. 18 trade deadline is less than two weeks away.

Not sufficiently close enough to prompt teams to make their best offers ... but obviously close enough to merit another round of the latest chatter from the NBA grapevine as passed along by various league executives, coaches, players, scouts, insiders, etc.

Kevin Martin, Andre Iguodala and Caron Butler continue to be the three swingmen most frequently linked with Mark Cuban's trade-seeking Mavericks, who have been stonewalled in their attempts to pry Martin away from Sacramento and thus have not ruled out a move for Butler.

Sources say that Washington and Dallas have maintained a Butler dialogue while the Wizards also continue talks with Houston in a larger deal for Tracy McGrady.

As stated previously in this cyberspace, Martin tops the Mavs' list in their search for a dependable second scorer to flank Dirk Nowitzki. Sources say, however, that Dallas would likely have to recruit a third team to present the quality big man presumably needed to prompt the Kings to alter their thinking.

The Wiz and Mavs, meanwhile, have discussed a deal that would swap Josh Howard and one other player (such as James Singleton or Quinton Ross) for Butler and DeShawn Stevenson. But Dallas has little interest in taking back Stevenson and is still weighing whether Butler can help pull the All-Star Weekend hosts out of a spiral that has been openly addressed this week (see Box 4) by Mark Cuban.

"We're just in a funk right now," Cuban said Wednesday night, publicly acknowledging his desire to make a move just a week before much of the league descends upon Big D.

As for a Wizards-Rockets deal, one source with knowledge of the talks says the obstacles preventing the teams from closing in on a McGrady deal haven't changed much. The Wizards are believed to be willing to surrender coveted center Brendan Haywood along with Butler but want a player from Houston's scrappy core -- such as Luis Scola, Carl Landry or Shane Battier -- that the Rockets aren't willing to surrender in addition to McGrady's $22.5 million expiring contract."

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-100206-07/latest-chatter

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You don't want him and I don't want him. I thin we could agree on that. I'm just having a little fun. ;)

19. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Butler and Haywood and all we need to include is a Scola or Battier ?? Get it done !!

20. couch_pot8o

couch_pot8o Contributing Member

Prevent your division rival to improve at the same time get rid of a well known headache named Josh Howard. Cuban's a sly goose. :cool: