1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Testing issues could derail Mayweather-Pacquiao

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by TheGreat, Dec 22, 2009.

1. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Floyd has given Manny everything he asked for. Gloves, ring size, weight penalty, catch weight, and yet Manny refuses to take the tests. Something isn't right there.

Let's for a second say this fight doesn't happen (I think it will) because Manny refused the testing. The vast majority of the public is going to think he was on PED's for sure. It will taint his legacy big time regardless of it's the case or not. Arum sees this, Roach said two weeks ago they would take any test. Why now would he refuse? Doesn't make sense. Truth of the matter is that Manny has been great for boxing, but if this fight doesn't happen, it's soley on his shoulders.

2. SlvrBtl

SlvrBtl Member

Well all the steriod arguments started to come up, just right after the Hatton fight. I found that article in another forum and wanted to point out that his natural weight his last 5-6 fights has been hovering around the 139-148 lbs on fight night. I did not intentionally omit it on purpose as I just got the quote from the article.

As for your second argument "slightly stronger and defined" that quote was for the de la hoya fight, not the Cotto fight. Of course he's going to be stronger and defined if you're the gym rat that Manny he is.

Plus him being able to take Cotto's punch is more to do with his training, stick training and sparring with Porter.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

There is another possiblity: Manny's camp is just creating drama either (1) to generate even more publicity or (2) to annoy Floyd. We know Freddy Roach is not above acting like a douche just to annoy the opponent.

4. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

WRONG.

The big reason why he came back was because he owed uncle sam tax money.

if he wants to prove that he's the greatest he should have fought a fighter that is not 142 lbs like Marquez. Why not ifght Cotto or Margarito. He can't fight fair. Simple.

5. King1

Honestly, how old are you?

6. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

your logic is idiotic.

7. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

old enough to read newspaper.

8. jello77

jello77 Contributing Member

Thanks man. That's how I feel about it as well. Roach's whole plan for Pac was to fight Mayweather and then retire, so I have a hard time believing him when he says now that he 'doesn't care' if the fight happens or not. I'm going for Pac pretty hard in this fight as I just don't like Mayweather at all but if this fight doesn't happen because Manny doesn't wanna take a drug test I can't really support him, and I most definitely won't shell out money to see him fight Foreman or Hatton or anybody else...don't think Manny would even fight Mosley.

If you don't mind me asking, what exactly is your job where you know all these boxers? Do you work for the MGM? I'm working in agency public relations right now and was looking into boxing PR/promotions as a possible career field once I get a little more established and have the money to take that kid of career risk.

9. King1

Ok dude. When you're finished with Manny don't forget to wipe your mouth

10. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

thank you.

11. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

That did not help you one bit I'm afraid.

12. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Earning 50M dollars is not going to make a difference. Manny has more than enough to raise a city in the PHilippines.

13. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

same thing for you i'm sure. you only reads teh ones that you like.

14. steddinotayto

Then he should just retire now if 50 million isn't going to make a difference.

15. steddinotayto

I'm going to take a shot in the dark and assume you're filipino.

16. SlvrBtl

SlvrBtl Member

It was the first Morales fight. He didn't have his physical exam/blood test done till the Friday (day before the fight) which should have been done at least 2 weeks before the fight. He MAY have attributed his loss to having his blood drawn, and he's a superstitious guy what do I know. Like I said boxing is as much a mental game as it's a physical.

17. King1

No problem. I'm sure Manny would fight Shane but negotiations would be extremly difficult. Since Shane can't draw, they would be looking for a 70/30 type split. Not to mention the fact that they would have to negotiate through Golden Boy. If the Floyd fight falls through, they would likely be very leary of going down the same road again. Golden Boy is backing Floyd in these negotiations but he isn't a Golden Boy fighter. If Manny dodges the test here, they are definitely going to request it for Shane since he's one of their managing partners.

Marketing Director. It's a very enjoyable business to be in. The key is making good contacts and being 100% honest. I know that sounds hilarious when discussing the boxing industry, but it's true. You have to tell fighters what they need to here not what they want.

18. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

yeah right. i'm a philipino and I know what you are.

19. King1

Did you honestly say that making 50 million dollars isn't going to make a difference? Wow dude. You are a genius. Also, it's closer to 70 million. What do I know though? Your vast knowledge of the sport has enlightened everyone in this thread.

20. steddinotayto

If that's the case then I'll give Manny the benefit of the doubt. I just think if there wasn't a just-cause event before in his boxing career for getting his blood drawn then the Manny Camp is just avoiding things.