1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Mike Harris Manifesto

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Htown57, Dec 21, 2009.

1. monster

monster Member

I like Mike.

I trust Morey.

2. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Well that did it.... Now Mike will never make the team...

:grin:

3. lauradelenn

lauradelenn Member

Htown, excellent post - I'd rep you if I could.

You bring up an interesting point about the blank roster spot though; I'd actually half forgotten about it. I wonder what Morey's reasoning is for keeping that opening? Purely financial, to be not paying that salary, or something more?

4. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

fixed

I like the guy but I think the team is already stacked with tweener players who hustle but don't put the ball in the hole a lot. That's exactly what Mike Harris is at the NBA level.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He shot 50% while he was playing in Houston.

That is pretty good at "Putting the ball in the hole" wouldn't you say?

DD

6. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

He knows his role and I like that but he can't create his own shot or create for others. He's basically a garbage man on offense. Nothing wrong with that but this team is full of them already.

Chuck Hayes is a 51% career shooter. You think he's great at putting the ball in the hole?

7. Htown57

Htown57 Member

Hahahaha. I wish. I do work at a college as a coach for the team..

...the debate team :grin:

8. Htown57

Htown57 Member

I think we're underestimating his bucket-getting ability. I know it's the D league, but 26 points on 18 shots and 58 percent shooting is nothing to shake a stick at. He's the go to guy on that team, he was the go to guy guy in China (31 ppg on 61%), and that says to me he could score adequately on NBA reserves who aren't focusing on him like his D league and Chinese foes did.

As to the question's about the roster spot: having an open spot gives us more trade flexibility in multiple ways. First, it lets us take on more players than we send out, which would be necessary in a lot of instances, particularly in a mcgrady trade, for example, to make the contracts work. If we had no roster spot last year, the Lowry trade would have been impossible because we wouldn't have been able to take brian cook's useless ass too.

The roster spot also enables us to play facilitator for other teams' trades. Say team A and team B need to make a trade, but the money/roster spots don't work. We can provide a roster spot or take on a player to make the money work...for the nominal fee of a 2nd round pick and cash considerations.

Morey is no fool. He likes these options. If Harris does come up, it will be because of a frontcourt injury or it will be after the trade deadline. That's my gut, anyway.

9. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

I like Mike a lot, but the fact is, without an open roster spot it will be VERY difficult to trade TMac. His salary is so big that we will pretty much be guaranteed of taking on more than one player unless the trade is a 3-way.

Sorry Mike but it's all about trading TMac.

10. TdashDUB

TdashDUB Contributing Member

Mike Harris once spent 2 hours helping me with my game about 10 years ago when I was heavy into playing ball. Out of this world nice guy! I remember he randomly willingly took the time to give pointers and teach techniques on some court close to Rice (can't remember where specifically) I remember he was a big advocate of the "Yoda ears" after releasing the shot. But over-all, I strongly re-call Mike making an immediate fan out of me. We chopped it up and talked about music, and at the time DMX's 2nd or 3rd album came out and as soon as I mentioned it he started barking like DMX which startled me haha then went on to say that he's mainly a fan of christian music

As soon as I heard he landed a spot on the Rockets roster, I was indeed proud. This guy is a real stand up person from my own experiences and from what I've heard of others.

Great post OP, and I truely wish the best for Harris

11. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Absolutely love Mike Harris when he was here, it broke my heart that Von Wafer beat him out for the roster spot last season, although it was perfectly understandable.

Unfortunately, just like how we were last season, our team is loaded with strong players playing both the small forward and power forward position. Maybe if we didn't have both Taylor and Budinger to develop, we could have brought him in but right now. We really don't have the room and unless we trade someone or lose them to injury we are stuck where we are.

Although, if we really don't do anything big in FA this coming off season, I would be more excited to see us sign a Mike Harris then some of the run down would be stars (looking at you Boozer) that we might be compelled to take if Bosh, Wade and Lebron are gone.

12. matthappy

matthappy Member

mike harris is a great hustle player and really really versatile ,though he is not tall enough ,I bet he would still be a best backup for both 4 and 3.

this guy's 3 point shot is also reliable ,and I don't see he would meet with any difficulty in understanding current system,he was born to be a run and gun player.let's look back to his play when we got such incredible 22-win streak,harris did a great job at that time.

So please DM take him back ,i just can't wait to see what will happen

13. Htown57

Htown57 Member

Thanks for listening, Daryl. :grin:

14. jsonic6

jsonic6 Contributing Member

He's the scoring version of the Chuckwagon...

15. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

mike harris really never was a bad 3 point shooter. he just became a better 3 point shooter.

16. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

now we have high expectations from Mike.

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Not only can Mike hustle on the court, write manifestos, he's also such a great guy that he helps heavy kids learn to play basketball.

18. Charles Jones

Charles Jones Member

welcome back mike!!!!!!!!

19. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

Wanna be. Wanna be like Mike. Like Mike.

20. freddyg956

freddyg956 Member

Great post, and you got your wish, seeing how he just signed back with the team. I completely agree with your points. I see him more as a Gerald Wallace type player, but a tad slower, he can post up, he can take it from the freethrow line and drive, he can shoot the 3,he can handle the ball, he can rebound, he can pass, this guy does it all, he would fit in nicely at the 3. I see him sticking around and i see JT going to the valley