1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should've never traded Rudy Gay. Morey never would've never made that trade.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AKRocketsFan, Dec 8, 2009.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Take a listen to Morey and Cuban talking about the Battier trade at the Analytics conference last February:

http://2009.sloansportsconference.com/2009/webcasts/basketball-analytics/

35:00-37:00 is where its mentioned.

2. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Some will call me a Rafer hater for this post.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/rafer_alston/

33.3% FG for the season.

Rafer's last 3 games have been 3-11 FG, 2-8 FG and 1-5 FG.

3. Yak

Yak Member

100% ignorant. Stars aren't found everywhere.

Wait until after 2011 when Yao's contract is up.

Then we get to truly see what Morey can do with with lots of free space.

4. AKRocketsFan

AKRocketsFan Member

I All I got to say Is that trade will go down as one the worst trades in NBA History. And probably crack the Top 20

5. Slick Rick

Slick Rick Member

Hey stat junkie, you need to look deeper in the numbers. This year is the only year Gay has shot 49% (only the second month of this season). He shot in the mid forties in his career. He also averaged 16 shots a game for the last 3 seasons. He would not get that many shots here except for maybe this year. He is averaging 20 pts a game on a bad team. He also never made the playoffs so there is no way to determine how he would perform. The ONLY thing I did not like in the trade was not getting Kyle 3 years ago.

6. Pest_Ctrl

Pest_Ctrl Member

Star players do not fall from the sky. If you want to trade for one normally you'd have to give up too much unless the said star wants out. If you want to sign a star you need a huge amount of cap space, and you have to suck real bad to get one from draft. It's not like a gm says I want a star and he gets one the next day. If Morey could get LBJ would he do it? Of course he would, but that's not happening.

7. trugoy

trugoy Member

you are right, for memphis, look at their WL record before and after the trade.

8. Yak

Yak Member

Sig worthy.

How can something be one of the worst and "probably" crack the top 20?

Your comment regarding Rudy Gay and his fantasy numbers implying his worth is comical. He's averaging 20 points on a team in which he's the focal point.

And his defense is pitiful. There's a reason why he and Mayo don't get along.

OJ cares about team defense and Gay likes to slack off on the defensive end while hoggin' the ball on offense.

9. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

It was a bad trade no doubt, but there have been some doozies in the nba. I think it was short sighted and has cost the team, but i've beaten the crap out of it for a while and doesn't matter. The battier people think he's great and the other think we gave too much. In the end, we've gone nowhere in win now mode.

10. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Not to question your man card, but what the H-E-!-! does a fantasy team have to do with defense?

If you go to Kevin Pelton's blog (Basketball Prospectus) he did a great analysis on exactly who the best team defenders were and who the worst were.. and I can assure you that Rudy Gay is that bad defensively. I believe it was a three year deal... they took three years of statistics and on off percentages and Rudy was the bottom of the totem pole.

I don't have the exact link, but I can find it if you give me a bit. :)

11. BetterThanEver

There was a star available in Gay.

12. Yak

Yak Member

Believe me, having Rudy Gay right now would not put us in a better position to win any time in the near future.

13. Yak

Yak Member

If we're classifying Rudy Gay as a "star", then we currently have 3 "stars" on this team.

14. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

I'm done with all these Battier discussions. :cool:

The man is a saint.

15. OGKashMoney

OGKashMoney Member

How so? Three seasons later and nobody outside of Clutchfans even mention the trade as a bad trade. In fact, Battier's stock has risen since his time in Houston as evidenced by the media's and opposing team's lovefest with his defense and intangibles.

Unless Gay becomes super-special (ala Wade or Melo) then it becomes a bad trade. I would consider the Eddie Griffin (r.i.p.) trade as worst since we gave up 3 first round picks two of which were very serviceable players. So the trade can't even be one of the worst trades the Rockets have made this decade. :confused:

16. pentajigga

pentajigga Member

Rox didnt trade Gay for Battier... they traded the 8th pick, and Memphis asked us to select Gay.

Rox would not have selected Gay even if we kept the pick. I believe that's been gone over a bunch before as well.

17. AKRocketsFan

AKRocketsFan Member

Thanks Durvasa that was interesting. I understand the reasoning, but it was a bad gamble. Did you see the body language from Cuban and Morey when the subject comes up. It says it all.

18. BetterThanEver

This was a moneyball move and you have advocated on keeping Morey. This means more such moves.

19. Yak

Yak Member

Correct, we were going to select Thabo Sefolosha.

20. platy

platy Member

nice reply. i wanna rep but i dont know how to.