1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TheMonitor] Valley's place in Brooks' mind obvious

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff Who, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

LINK

McALLEN – Aaron Brooks only spent two games with the Rio Grande Valley Vipers during the fall of 2007. Those two games, and the reception of Valley fans, still resonate with the third-year Rockets guard.

Brooks, along with seven-time NBA all-star Tracy McGrady, appeared for about 20 minutes at the end of the first day of RGV Rocket Launch held at the New McAllen Convention Center. While McGrady looked used to the celebrity treatment, like he had experienced the esteem before, the screams and applause seemed to reach Brooks in a different way.

He wasn’t sure, however, that he had become a big star in the eyes of Valley fans.

“A celebrity? I don’t know. I wouldn’t say all of that,” Brooks said. “They’re happy, the people are happy when I come back, and that makes me happy.”

But what about the screams, the photographs and the autograph requests?

“It’s just cool,” Brooks said. “It’s a surreal experience. It feels good.”

Hearing that would mean a lot to Rockets fan and McAllen resident Wilfredo Cervantez. Cervantez, who won Vipers season tickets after being selected to be a part of the team’s Snake Pit cheering section, came prepared for the tryout with his face painted red and wearing a white McGRADY Rockets jersey, though some of the red had smeared onto the jersey and white undershirt.

McGrady declined to comment.

Cervantez noticed that Brooks was the one who was more receptive toward the Valley fans, however McGrady did sign autographs. Cervantez said he heard McGrady say to one of his handlers “I’m ready to leave,” though he stressed McGrady and Brooks were both nice guys.

“That sort of bothered me a little bit, because he had just gotten here and we had gone through so much to meet them,” Cervantez said. “Just to hear that little comment, I didn’t like that too much. I know he’s a business man. He’s got to do what he’s got to do.”

There were no such concerns from Cervantez about Brooks.

“Aaron Brooks was more calmed down and ready to have fun with us and meet the crowd,” Cervantez said. “That’s what we wanted and that’s what he gave us. I’m really happy that Aaron Brooks represented the Valley.”

Brooks, two years after his brief stay in the Valley, is now considered one of the NBA’s rising young point guards. He looks to be a major part of the Rockets’ future and one of their key players this season.

Whether that would have happened without his time with the Vipers is unknown.

“This place means a lot. It helped my skills out and got me to where I am today,” Brooks said. “The Valley’s done miracles for my game.”

2. FFz

FFz Member

inb4themcgradybash

Brooks does seem like a really nice guy. T-mac's prob tired of these events by now. I would be too if i was t-mac.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Once again the real Tmac rears his head....hey but he can't charge these fans for Skillzlab.

DD

4. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

It wasn't very kind but I can understand it. It may be frustrating when you feel ok and you can't even practice.

5. 523744

523744 Member

lol hahahahah nice subtle mcgrady bashing

"Mcgrady declined to comment"

Comment on what? And what for? Your little small town newspaper? Why would he give a damn to do it?

6. 523744

523744 Member

Not really sure if mcgrady personally gains from skillzlab but ok. Do you really think any nba superstar/star would want to be at an event for the NBADL Rio Grande Vipers?????? Honestly, do you see kobe, shaq, wade, lebron, anybody rushing at the opportunity for that... Plus he has no ties or affiliations with the city or team. Brooks does. Its just a small town newspaper trying to spin a story how the big city ball player doesnt want anything to do with them and is above them

7. DaDakota

I expect Tmac to realize that those people buy jerseys too and that they are the Rocket's minor league team.

And to respect the fans, especially the ones wearing his jersey.

And some people wonder why other fans don't like the guy, he is a complete phony, up and down, one big old bag of BS.

DD

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Come down. You guys are pampered with nice guys around. Tmac failed at the attempt to be nice and played it cool. There's nothing wrong. Even the fan understood he is a business guy.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I did not know that is a necessity to sign the jerseys or shirts of all fans to show respect.
    In the article the fan heard him say 'I am ready to leave' that is all. The man is a basket ball player and he has a schedule.

10. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

As I said, it wasn't kind and maybe he should even apologize. But come on, did you forget about Darfur and all that stuff.

11. 523744

523744 Member

The fact of the matter is that its just an exagerated attempt by a small time paper to take a jab at one of us "big city folk" thats all.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Guys call players soft are selves soft inside.
    ;)

13. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

The Tmac hate is always funny to see. Certain people just wait for the oppurtunity to bash him for anything. What affiliation does Tmac have with that team or town?

14. DaDakota

As is the Tmac Ostrich contingent...

DD

15. pdewalt

pdewalt Member

What was the point of this thread? Once again, a worthless thread...

16. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Feign posted it on his twitter page so I figured out you guys may want to know it as well.

17. ralphacy

ralphacy Member

To be fair, the Rockets organization is doing a fine enough job to capture and sway NBA fans to the Rockets here in the valley. I met the marketing director for the Vipers and he gave me impression that they really want this place to become a Rockets stronghold instead of being a Spurs base. They are taking a grassroots approach to things and having a Rocket "superstar" like Tmac just show some small appreciation for the fans in this place can go a long way. I mean most of the people wearing Rockets jerseys on saturday wore Tmac's jersey, his actions no matter how small or petty it was means a lot for people here so Tmac should just shut and smile for the people who still believe and root for him.

Brooks appearances here, theres been a couple, has just been awesome. He appears to be a humble guy and is very enthusiastic to interact with the fans. I went to an autograph signing he had here a couple of months ago and he stayed an hour and half longer so that he can sign autographs for everyone, which was good for me since I was late. He looked tired from the event and I even asked him "Hey man you look tired, are you ok?" and he just smiled back and said "Nah man I'm cool." Small things like that go a long way in a small place like the RGV.

So in conclusion, Brooks better not be traded because he has a crapload of fans rooting for him here.

18. verse

verse Contributing Member

As per the article:

1. He showed up with AB for ~20min each.

2. They were BOTH nice guys.

3. They BOTH signed autographs.

4. McG said we was ready to leave.

Anything beyond that is speculation, including why McG needed/wanted to leave (other engagements/appointments?). How is that being a phony? Even the fan said he was a nice guy, and a businessman, and understood that McG had to go. How on Earth you take exception to that should be a mystery, but strangely, it isn't.

1 person likes this.
  19. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

T-mac is dick.

20. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

Jeff who, do you frequently share rockets stories on twitter? If yes, it would be nice if you could provide your id (if you dont mind that is ).