1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Aussie Aussie Aussie!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dakeem1, Jul 15, 2009.

Tags:
  1. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

Oi Oi Oi!

That is the Aussie celebratory chear. Much like how americans say USA! USA! USA! USA!

Anyway, I've been here for a little less than a year now and have generally been a GARM poster. I thought I'd jump into the Hangout for my very first posts and say Hi to all the Aussie's out there.

With Anderson's right's newly acquired, I just wanted to show some Aussie Pride and do a little Australia role call.

So if you're Aussie, what city or town are you from?
    I'm from Sydney (I live out west near Parramatta).

Take care and peace out...

2. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Let's see if we can get more Australian people on Cfans than we can Chinese people.... David Andersen will be indeed the new Yao Ming!

3. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

Hahaha, I wish. With the sever lack of support that Aussie's show the Bucks, I don't think your prophecy will reighn true haha.

That being said, no one likes the Bucks.

Anyway, back on topic, are you Australian, itsmyfault?

4. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

Sorry, I should've just checked your profile. Oh how I wish I were a Houstonian. I would actually get to see my favourite team in all sports play a live game.

5. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Ah.. I'd actually like to go to Australia in the near future... I've heard many great things about Australia... I know you guys have some really passionate sports fans over there. :)

6. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

Us Aussies love our sports, it's just too bad that Basketball does not figure to be one of those sports. This can be seen when looking at the downfall of the NBL (National Basketball League) in Australia.

If you think that it's bad that half the NBA teams did not turn a profit last season, you should see the amount of NBL teams that have closed business in the past two years.

At present, Sydney does not even have a basketball team anymore. The governing basketbal body in Australia is now restructuring a whole new basketball league. Whether it works? Only time will tell.

As far as other sports are concerned, Australians are incredibly passionate fans for Rugby League, Cricket, Rugby Union, and Australian rules football.

I think that those sports are great to watch, and I love them, but for me... nothign compares to the sheer athleticism, speed and general fast paced entertainment of Basketball.

7. Cam_Bron_James

Being an Australian myself I'm glad to see we have Andersen. Thats two Aussies on our roster now in Newley and Andersen. Is it too soon to call then the Aussie Rockets :D

8. robby_33

robby_33 Member

Now all we need to do is give some cash to the blazers for Mills' rights, send Dorsey to Dallas for Jawai and work something out like Battier, Barry & Landry for Bogut... THEN we'll be the AUSSIE Rockets!!!!! haha

Well i'm a die-hard Rockets fan from down in Melbourne.. Oh yeah and this stop-gap season for the NBL is not gonna be fun... what have they done, come up with a new logo (bleh) and kick out more teams! awesome... :rolleyes: Hopefully they will do something next year to get back on track..

9. chonox

chonox Member

reppin Brisbane. :cool: (Not sure if you follow NRL dakeem but how about that Origin series aye? hahahaha QUEENSLANDER!! :D )

I support all Aussies in the NBA and look forward to see if Andersen can adapt quickly to the NBA like Scola did but at the same time I cringe a bit when I think about defensive matchups against the more talented bigs of the league Gasol/Bynum & Oden/Aldridge, heck whose going to guard dwight/jefferson/amare/kg/etc etc, chuck can only do so much.

I'll also be keeping tabs on Patty Mills if he gets a run in Portland and hopefully Newley can crack the Rockets roster too. Not much of a Bogut fan, although he is definitely a solid 7 footer I don't think his anywhere worth the contract his got.

I think I saw Joe Ingles on a summer team the other day too but yeah not too sure about his chances of making the roster.

10. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Had to roll my eyes at that Oi Oi Oi business.

That went out with the Sydney Olympics, or it should have.

Hobart here, what's good?

11. Gakatron

Gakatron Contributing Member

The sad thing here is junior participation is quite high. I believe but don't quote as fact that it has the second highest participation rate amongst kids, with Soccer in front. The only catch here is the two major football codes combined is actually higher. You go to any gym and there will be heaps of basketball, even local social leagues have decent numbers... its just the drop off rate it large and the professional league is well.... a joke.

Having 4 NBA players(Bogut, Mills, Jawai and Anderson) is sure to help, if they all get roster spots. I am disappointed about the amount of government funding Basketball gets, the fact soccer is all the rage now and is getting a ton of funding will only hurt basketball here in Australia, as there is no interest in the national league, the only way to get money to promote and grow the game has to come from the government. Australia has applied to put bids on a couple of the upcoming World Cups and while I would love to see it, it will certainly spell doom for any hope of basketball getting money this way. Perhaps if our players have some success in the NBA it may make the league decide to do some promotion/help in Australia like it is doing in Europe.

As for the shout out. I am in Launceston, Tasmania... aussie rocket is also from Tassie, he is down in Hobart I am led to believe.

12. Gakatron

lol... he beat me to it!

13. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

The South edges out the North, yet again.

;)

14. Gakatron

Top always owns bottom, you should know that. Plus you are about to be wiped out by a tsunami I hear. I don't know how exactly it would get to you but you have salt water, we just have a muddy river that has 4 headed fish.. therefore I figure its coming for you. http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,25787792-421,00.html

15. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Jesus - I hadnt heard.

If its not the Swine or Terror, its a bloody Tsunami.

And smokers reason that they ''have to die of something''

Weak sauce.

16. Christopher

Christopher Member

I live about 5 minutes west of Blacktown in Sydneys west and been here pretty much from the beggining (Im talking old school, remember when the old forum was the new forum days!).

Its good to have an Aussie on the Rockets but it doesnt really make me feel any different either way about the team. Good on his though, I hope he does well.

17. Christopher

Christopher Member

By the way....

GO NSW! :D

18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I don't know if that many Australians even exist on Earth.

19. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

LOL, get ready for an influx of Anderson Only Fans. By December, I predict a thread will be started asking why Aaron Brooks doesn't pass the ball to Anderson. :p

20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think the whole population of Australia is equal to Shanghai.

Anyway good to see hear from the Aussies. I dated a girl from Perth who now lives in Melbourne. I still keep in touch with her every now and then and she has been trying to get me to come and visit.