1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Elie signs with Suns

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by The Cat, Sep 15, 2000.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2000/0915/745645.html

PHOENIX -- Looking to add experience to their backcourt, the Phoenix Suns on Friday agreed to terms with veteran guard Mario Elie, a winner of three NBA championships with the Houston Rockets and San Antonio Spurs.

Entering his 11th season, the 6-foot-5 Elie won titles with the Rockets in 1994 and 1995 and with the Spurs during the lockout-shortened 1999 campaign.

The Suns, who have not advanced beyond the Western Conference semifinals since 1993, are hoping Elie's magic can rub off on them. The last two times Elie joined a new team, that club won the NBA title in his first season.

"Mario is a great competitor who has been a thorn in our side for years," Suns owner Jerry Colangelo said. "I think his experience, his competitiveness, his leadership will be invaluable to this team. And by the way, he can still play."

Last season, the Suns lost to the eventual NBA champion Los Angeles Lakers in five games in the conference semifinals.

Elie, 36, has a career average of 9.0 points per game for Portland, Golden State, Philadelphia, the Rockets and Spurs. He is shooting 47.6 percent from the field and 85.6 percent from the line -- 19th on the all-time list and sixth among active players.

"Mario brings many intangibles to our team," Suns coach Scott Skiles said. "He has great leadership, toughness, is a team player and has seen it all in this game. He can make open shots, he can go to the hole and he can guard people, so we're really excited about him joining us."

Originally taken by Milwaukee in the seventh round of the 1985 draft, Elie took a circuitous route to the NBA. He played in Portugal, Argentina and Ireland before signing a 10-day contract with Philadelphia on December 28, 1990.

Elie also played in the United States Basketball League and earned first-team CBA honors with the Albany Patroons in 1989-90 and 1990-91.

The Suns probably aren't championship contenders, but they are certainly a very strong and talented team if they could stay healthy. They never could stay in one piece last year, and if they could do that and have Tsakalidas perform just decently at center (he probably will come to the NBA this year I've read) you never know. It may be time to brong back Will's "Lion and the Vulture" thread...

------------------
    Looking for next year's Dan Langhi? Draftsource.net
    ClutchTown.com

4th Friday of August= Rocket Day
    1999-Steve Francis
    2000-Maurice Taylor

2. outlaw

outlaw Member

weird, i guess the phoenicians will have to forgive him for the "Kiss of Death"

3. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Man, who woulda ever thunk it [​IMG]

------------------
    In order to be a success in life, you need 2 things:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.

4. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Great, he is still in the West and we get to watch him hit threes at the buzzer to beat us by one. UGH!!!

[​IMG]

------------------
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

5. Steve

Steve Member

dam i remember the kiss of death i was a suns fan when sir.charles was dere i got pissed big time!

------------------
    "It wasn't a fight. He punched me one time, that's all. That's not a fight. I don't fight at 30,000 feet. I had an education." L8 vs Stack

6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

If Ainge were still the coach, Elie wouldn't be there. Anyone remember how Elie scored on Ainge and yelled in his face? I contend to this day that Elie was simply reacting to Ainge's constant BS on the court. In any case, Ainge inbounded the ball into Elie's face (I think Elie still has a silhouette of Jerry West on his forehead). Ainge, of course, put on his innocent act and nothing was called. If Elie had done that to Ainge, you know there would have been a whistle. Ainge reminds me of that big bully in high school, except he found himself among even bigger men, and some of them were teammates who backed him up when he still felt like pulling his BS.
    So, I guess this thread actually pertains to Elie. I hope our young players listen to Rudy when he says, "Don't leave Mario open. Never leave Mario open. In case you didn't hear me, go get in Mario's jock." 'Cause that guy has held a vendetta against us and made us look stupid.

------------------

7. Turbo

Turbo Contributing Member

A sad dark day for those who remember the Super Mario of old. I always kind of looked at Phoenix being one of those teams that was Elie's arch nemisis. Kinda like Reggie Miller and the Knicks. I am completly dumbfounded that the once loveable Junkyard Dog is relocating to the valley of the sun. WOW

-Turbo

[This message has been edited by Turbo (edited September 15, 2000).]

8. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

I'd say Phoenix is one of the top 4 teams in the NBA... top 3 in the West, IMO.

------------------
    Why don't you guys go down to the gym and pump each other

9. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I wouldn't say top 3 in the West; undoubtedly the Spurs, Blazers, and Lakers are ahead of the Suns IMO. They will probably be about the 4th best in the West, but the 5th best in the NBA as Miami is the only Eastern team I see being better than the Suns.

------------------
    Looking for next year's Dan Langhi? Draftsource.net
    ClutchTown.com

4th Friday of August= Rocket Day
    1999-Steve Francis
    2000-Maurice Taylor

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Like Starks going to Chicago

???

Rocket River

------------------

11. jamma34

jamma34 Member

whats that "restraining order" thing talking about on the main page? is it some joke or something that for some reason i dont get

------------------
    you are to be praised by gods and revered as women.

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I stopped giving a **** about this a$$hole when he quit on the Rockets in 1998.

------------------
    Cheerleaders are just dancers who've gone r****ded.

visit www.swirve.com