1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Von Wafer apologizes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by buiyahkah, May 8, 2009.

1. dejamike

dejamike Member

great i am glad that is behind us now

2. blender

blender Member

His minutes were almost halved in the Lakers series from that of the Blazers series. Question is whether Adelman will continue to play him 7 to 9 minutes a game in the upcoming games, and if so, can Wafer remain an effective player with the reduced minutes.

3. slimichael85

slimichael85 Member

The boy make the right decision en route towards evolving into a mature warrior.

4. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Good for him. Maybe he'll come out with some fire tonight and scorch the Fakers.

5. buiyahkah

buiyahkah Contributing Member

I think they also said something about him wanting to control his emotions better and that this offseason he's going to work that and on his game. I hope this whole thing doesn't hurt the chances of him resigning with us.

6. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

Great news. Now let's have it behind us and move on. We do need his energy from the bench. Hope he can take all the frustration on Sasha.

7. blender

blender Member

That's good to hear. It sounds like the experience could end up helping him in the long run.

8. Crescendolls

Crescendolls Member

Wafer deserves more time on court in game 3. He's so efficient to score and always plays with energy.

9. Luckkky

Luckkky Member

sometime what i dont really understand about players that get mad about the way defender play against them when they are all up on their face (like vujabitch)... do they feel like they need that space? seriously, it makes me mad how VOn lets this *** affect his game just because he plays close up defense, drive the ball fast and you will get a blocking call instead of getting all pissed off and making stupid turnovers... VUJABITCH is a ***...

I love players that play close up defense like vujabitch when i play ball, because i will simply blow by them...

keep your head up VON

10. nomorewords

nomorewords Member

11. southernjustice

southernjustice Contributing Member

Von is still very immature I think that's one of the reasons he has moved around so much

12. right1

right1 Member

He dropped the bottle! The man just dropped the water bottle. Wafer is awesome. Here's to Von going off tonight for 18 pts. :D

13. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Every rose has its thorn. Wafer for 15+ tonight.

14. ringin08

ringin08 Member

I bet the same people who are always complaining about Von's immaturity are the same ones that didn't want Ron Artest here because of his past. This is basketball people, not CHURCH. Being emotional and hotheaded sometimes makes some players play better. Every players gets emotional at some point, unless you are a true priest like Battier, but he is definitely the exception, not the rule.

People complain about Tmac's lack of emotion and then complain about players having too much emotion. These are human beings, not your playstation characters. Von is not a bad guy that moved around the league because he is some criminal, he just needed time to find his game, and now he has found a lot of it with the Rockets.

As he said, he didn't throw his water bottle, so although whatever he did I will agree was probably wrong, RA still over reacted by sending him to the locker room. I don't expect an apology from RA about his over reaction though, so Von is being the bigger person right now by apologizing.

The kid is still only what..23 or 24 years old? Give him a break, he will mature eventually just like Ron did. Let's focus on how to benefit from what he brings to the Rockets right now that no one else on the team does like him. He's not perfect, but we need him to be the best Von to win this series and maybe even a championship this year!

15. FR0497

FR0497 Member

I disagree that RA overreacted. He said this as been an issue before and I think this is something that needed to be done to get Wafer to stop complaining.

And I don't think you cut him some slack because of his age. The last thing you want is a distraction in the middle of a playoff game. And I sure hope we're not relying on Von to win this series.

16. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I'm glad Von apologized, it takes a big person to do that.

But age is no excuse. 23 or 24? He's a grown man, we have people fighting for their lives overseas who are younger. How many times have we seen a player kicked off the bench for arguing w/ a coach? Maybe once a year in the entire NBA!?!? He's a great player, but he's incredibly immature and he needs to get his s*** together.

What worries me is RA said this has already been an ongoing issue. NOT the first time. I hope the light bulb went off for Von, but I'm not so sure.

1 person likes this.
  17. waihh

waihh Contributing Member

Now name one bad team which would hand over a starting SG to Wafer. Go through the league and see if you can find one.
    Behave like a bench player, that all I want to say to Wafer.

That being said, I wish Wafer to dump his frustration on the Fakers and help Rockets to win game 3. Go Rockets!

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Adelman overreacting? Wafer being a "bigger person?" You have to be kidding. You think Wafer is a kid? He isn't a teenager. He's not 17 years old. He's an adult playing a man's game. The guy is lucky Adelman, Morey and the Rockets gave him another chance after bouncing around the league. The best thing Von can do now is shut up and talk with his play on the court. Stop missing defensive assignments and trying to go 1 on 5. Play within himself and play his role. Help the Rockets win. That'll repair any damage he's caused and get him a shot at a contract with the Rockets.

Pretty simple, really. Wafer just needs to do it. He's got the talent. Time to make the most of it.

1 person likes this.
  19. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Nope, I wanted Ron here from the beginning but when he started to try and do it on his own I wanted him on the bench. Now Artest is almost playing perfect team ball. And if he can continue this and stop the dribble dribble force a bad shot than I want him back at almost all cost. Almost.

As for Wafer he has helped this team no question. But he also has hurt this team. And when he hurts the team it is amost all about him. He makes a bad play so he wants to make up for it by coming and scoring. Someone shows him up on defense and he comes back and throws a stupid elbow. It is his immaturity and stupidity that stop him from staying on the court.

The one thing he does well is the 1 thing we need from him. Instant offense off the bench but it has to come in the confines of our offense. When he does that he is great. The problem is when he starts off slow he starts to play erratic and that is when he needs to be pulled immediately. ANd then his p***y tantrums begin. That is not even acceptable from tmac. How can he possible think it is acceptable from him.

SO the jury is still out on Wafer. A talent with the maturity of a 6 year old. Artest had that same kind of brain but with a lot more talent and the Pacers got rid of him. Will Wafer change/ Can he? he jury is still out but at least he gets a second chance in these playoffs. He should kiss the and Adelmans feet every time he steps on that court because it is a gift. Agift he hasn't shown he deserves. The Rockets are given a second chance and may be able to redeem himself. Personally it is too late for me. If I were GM I would upgrade with TMAC for Carter and let Wafer find his opportunity elsewhere.

2 people like this.
  20. waihh

waihh Contributing Member

Hay, you don't deserve to have emotion when you are nobody, or you would screw up yourself. It is simple like that.
    The comparison between Von and Ron is not valid. Remember that Ron was the second or third best player in Indiana, that's why he could get away with some bonehead behavior. Imagine if he was the 9th man of the team. Two tantrum would have thrown himself out of NBA.
    I am really glad that Von apologized and hope he will have a great game, but you can not say that all the criticize toward Von was overreaction. He would have to do a lot to make up for his mistake.