1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shane's Face Guarding

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DarkHorse, May 6, 2009.

1. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Exploit it by sticking his head in the way? So I guess the next time someone tried to block his shot, he should jump into their upper body to try to draw a call as well? Maybe I'm silly, but I would think a player leaning his head in to draw contact would look very obvious...as to him trying to draw a foul. It's also probably pretty hard to lean your head in while you are trying to shoot.

But thanks for the images of Battier played legit, LEGAL defense. His strategy is very sound and I'm shocked more players don't try it. Now the sad part is Kobe probably hit every shot in those pics....

2. ImmortalD24

ImmortalD24 Member

This is exactly why the league should look into changing the rules.. They should just make it illegal and force players to make plays on the ball instead of going through a shooters arms and up in front someones face with their hands(potentially a dangerous play).

I'm ok with someone trying to block the vision once in a while but when a persons only defensive strategy is to block the vision by going into someone's face it really gets irritating. To me there hasn't been a single player in nba history who does it as often as Battier.

Make a play on the ball and stop face/head hunting!

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

:D

Probably true!

4. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Because SOOOO many players have been injured from face guarding. Oh wait, they haven't.

:rolleyes:

5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Haha. This post was a Ron Artest 3 early in the shot clock.

6. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Seriously? Making a hand in the face illegal is like making a jumpshot illegal. It's really that much a part of the game.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Immortal, you want Kobe to flop? I like it when my guys get calls, but I hate it when they flop to get them.

8. BoomShakalaka

BoomShakalaka Member

There has been games when face guarding Kobe has no effect at all, he is probably used to it by now. Its the other things Shane has done to minimize his scoring such as not falling for fakes and being in all up on him that has given him success. Ron on the other hand needs to stop trying to strip the ball from KB.

9. kanariya

kanariya Member

I was also taught to put a hand on the shooter's face when defending.

10. RedMatador

RedMatador Member

It doesn't even look like the NCAA meant for it to be illegal...

"In the NCAA points of emphasis you referenced, you didn't include the following paragraph:

The committee does not intend for good defense to be penalized. Challenging a shooter with a 'hand in the face' or fronting a post player with a hand in the air to prevent a post pass are examples of acceptable actions. The rule and point of emphasis is designed to penalize actions that are clearly not related to playing the game of basketball properly and that intentionally restrict vision. Often, that occurs off the ball or as players are moving up the court in transition. "

The lengths people will go to in order to validate themselves...

1 person likes this.
  11. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

To be fair, most people in that Lakers forum said the guy was an idiot for complaining about a hand in the face.

I'm guessing IllogicalD24 was the guy that started that post. He just trolls here to tell us how much better Kobe is than Jordan.

12. superden

superden Contributing Member

No blood, no foul. Wait...nevermind.

signed,

[​IMG]

13. monster

monster Member

Please...... :rolleyes: I watched Kobe face guard in game 1.

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Okay, now can someone dig out a rule that says fronting defense is illegal so we can whine about it? ;)

15. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Cool find. Do you have a link?

This is what my assumption was, but I couldn't find anything to back it up. Rep points for you.

16. Nero

Nero Member

Manny face-guarded Hatton the way I would like to see Wafer face-guard Sashay.

:D

17. Yakapo

Yakapo Member

uhhh... isn't the goal to irritate kobe? fyi, this is a forum for rockets fans.

18. flipmode

flipmode Member

anyone have a good pic of battier "elbow"-guarding kobe?

i really think there are a few players that do the face-guard, but very few do it like battier because of his extension. battier tends to follow-through to the point where his elbow ends up on your forehead. it's as if he tries to intimidate the shooter into leaning their head back to avoid getting bonked in the nose by an elbow.

19. mnkyman

mnkyman Member

To the op: good read, I always wondered about that...after hearing some people saying it was illegal

20. RedMatador

RedMatador Member

My first Clutchfans rep! I have so many people to thank... ok, just my mom and you (don't read into that).

I found it on the comments to that anti-faceguarding blog...

http://community.foxsports.com/blog...ortscaster_Player_Blogger_and_Fan_Should_Know

They seem to indicate that the guy likes Kobe so much he blurrs reality to make him seem better.