1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"Insiders" think Hakeem won't be back

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 26, 2000.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

From Basketball News:

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

2. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Clutch,

they're just requoting your information on Drew. I think there's a circular reference.

Dang... out of stack space.

------------------

3. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

Circular reference would be quite right. Damn, its just "inside info", which all us here on bbs already assume.

------------------
    Now that the NBA season is over, check out the premiere source for draft info.

Draftsource.net

4. Calvin23

Calvin23 Member

Did Peter Vescey write this?

5. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

No Peter couldnt have possibly written this. It actually does make a little sense. It it was Vescey writing this he would have added something stupid like Rockets are going to trade Hakeem to Vancouver for Bryant Reeves

------------------
    Now introducing the starting lineup for your Houston Rockets: Starting at Center, from Wake Forets TIM DUNCAN...

6. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Okay, I have a question -- who is going to want to trade for a guy who can't beat out Moochie Norris? When you think of it that way, we might be lucky to even get a 2nd-round pick for the guy.

------------------
    "Okay KG, next time down, you give Cousin Billy his turn, then he'll give Uncle Joe his turn, then we'll give Shaq a turn."

-Rudy T, in the Dream Team 2000 huddle

7. F.D. Khan

F.D. Khan Contributing Member

TO: LESLIE ALEXANDER

You run Hakeem off the Court in His final season and no one will give you your Arena vote. As soon as you bought the rockets they had sellout games for years straight because of that guy. No one came to see Mario Elie or Kenny Smith...they came to see the Dream. So if he wants to stay you keep your mouth shut and remember that you are where you are ONLY because of his A$$.

- Future Disgruntled Rocket Fan

------------------

8. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Ok, here's my 2 cents:

The Rockets should let Dream finish his career with dignity. Let him make his final visits to cities like New York, Boston, LA, Seattle and yes even Utah. These fans rooted against Dream all those years in the playoffs and yet Dream performed at an astonishing pace. These cities should be allowed to show their respect for the greatness that graced their presence. Dr J was allowed to finish with dignity, Kareem was allowed to finish with dignity, and the Rockets organization showed class by allowing Barkley to finish the way he wanted too. For all the "Blood, Sweat an Tears" that Hakeem gave for the Rockets, the least they could do is show "The Great One" some class. After all, he was the one who put the organization on the map.

------------------
    I had amnesia once or twice.

[This message has been edited by BobFinn* (edited April 27, 2000).]

9. popeye

popeye Member

MickeyFinn, etal

My two cents worth. [​IMG]

"Insiders" may have picked up on a number of things that are well known here. But what these "insiders" fail to realize, and I am sure a lot of us on this BBS are aware of, is that:

1. Hakeem will make up his own mind. He is an intelligent, pragmatic and self-aware man. It will take some time for him to make this life-altering decision. That time has not been reached yet.

2. Hakeem's "people" and Les's "people" got together mutally to discuss the "buyout" option earlier this year and then as a matter of course, it had to be discussed again at the end of our schedule, as Hakeem's plans (Remember: He is still in the driver seat and HE has not indicated what HE wants to do) for the future will play a big part in the Rocket's moves this summer.
    At no time was he ASKED or given ultimatums by Les or anyone else in the Rockets to vacate his contract. That type of statement creates the wrong impression, as evidenced by people's reactions here.

3. As noted above, Hakeem like any sane man is vacillating over his decision. ( Do I dress up in a uniform for an 82 game schedule for the final year of my professional career for $16 million dollars. Or do I go call last year my last hurrah.) He does appear to be disillusioned by some of the new kids. They don't give him as much respect as he feels is warranted. Some have a laissez faire attitude to instruction and example. This bothers him more than all this other stuff about plays being called for other players and not centered around him. He has learned to live with and accept most of that.

On the other hand he gets props, respect, and a genuine affection from some players like Steve, Walt and Carlos. They make him feel wanted.

4. Things change. Think about this: If a trade for someone young, athletic, impressionable, great upside, destined to be a dominant force (maybe, like a young freshman Akeem?????)in this league suddenly becomes available in the draft or via trade and requires a veteran to tutor, play with, practice with and lead by example .... who do you think the Rockets would want to do that?

5. Rudy and staff have stated they asked that if Hakeem decides to call it quits for whatever reason or under whatever situation, that he give them an answer as soon as possible. He assures them he will. Just as soon as he knows himself.

Cheers.

[​IMG]

[This message has been edited by popeye (edited April 27, 2000).]

10. Bobby

Bobby Member

From a pure business viewoint, it makes sense. The Dream is only a shadow of his former self. Getting over his health problems is a monumental task. I have exercise-induced asthma myself, and it gets worse, not better. Hakeem would be mostly a $14 million dollar spot player.

But, on the other hand - who has made the Rockets franchise what it is today? Certainly, Rudy, Calvin, Rick Barry, and many others have made this franchise successful. But we would have never won either championship without Hakeem. Dream filled the seats at the Summit/Laptop. He has been absolutely fabulous. He deserves to go out on his terms. He could have been making that kind of money years ago, but chose to sign a long term relationship with the Rockets. It doesn't make good business sense, I agree. Especially in light of the Players Agreement where players move around for the big bucks. There isn't a hell of a lot of loyalty on either side. But, IMHO, Les and the Rockets owe Hakeem for some great years in Houston. If keeping Hakeem one more year prevents us from acquiring a Duncan, or being a high seed playoff team, so be it. The Rockets have always been a class act, don't spoil it now.

------------------
    "Who Wants To Be A Rocket?" - and probably a millionaire as well. The off-season will be interesting!

11. haven

haven Member

Bobby:

I agreed with every word you said until I heard the word "Duncan." Sorry, but having Duncan would ensure the future of the franchise for YEARS to come. I'd be willing to forgoe one year of success to give Hakeem another year if he wishes... but the future of the franchise? Nah. The fact is, loyalty should be a factor both ways. Hakeem isn't worth 14million anymore, and he must realize that. A player should be willing to help his team in any way possible... and in Hakeem's case, he can do that best by retiring.

Now, if it doesn't prevent us from getting someone like Duncan, I'd be in favor of gracefully welcoming Hakeem back for a farewell tour. But I'm not about to put one man above an entire team.

------------------

12. Rockeem

Rockeem Member

There are lots of damn players in this league that aren't worth what they are getting paid. No one is telling those players to retire. Take Sabonis for example. He is making 10 mil a year and I know for damn sure that Hakeem can play better than his slow ass. But the blazers are paising Sabonis and we are taking Hakeem for granted. We should at least give him a chance, he is the best player we could get at center next year anyway and he is still pretty damn good. He just hasn't gotten a healthy chance to show it.

------------------