1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How many of you would....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dreamshake, Apr 24, 2000.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

so...anyone else want at the "ego" argument of Will's? No?

OK, I'll start...why not; I'm a glutten for punishment. lol

Barkley had a huge on court ego.
    So did Akeem (w/o an H), Larry Bird, Jordan, Reggie Miller, Payton, Rasheed Wallace, Chamberlain, Moses, should I go on...

It is best to accept egos unless they become unmanageable when it comes to coaching pros and negotiating with them. So, Will, do you yell at Mobley when you watch him, cause GS has a spot for you now that P.J. Carlesimo is gone.

-----------
    ...duck....

2. losttexan

losttexan Contributing Member

I'm not interested in trading Mobley. He has value, yes, but that is because he's got game. this kid is only going to get better. He and Francis, shouldn't go anywhere. Everyone else including draft picks I'm ok trading, but we need to resign and keep this guy.

------------------

3. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

HP -- You've hurt my ego!

I love watching Mobley. I'd pay to see him play anybody 1-on-1. But I'm getting a little tired of the 1-on-5, the jacked-up prayers with a hand in his face, and four Rockets standing like statutes while Cuttino does his thing.

You've made a persuasive case for the iso on the numbers. So did Rudy in days gone by, when the four Rocket statues were spread out around the perimeter and the one guy doing his thing was Hakeem or Barkley. Maybe my complaint is more aesthetic than practical. But I suspect that in the long run, these iso/statue plays will deaden the team and make it unsuccessful, not to mention boring.

As for the issue of Mobley's ego, what I mean is that he wants the ball as soon as possible in the 24-second clock and often decides right away that he's going to shoot it, come hell or high water. Having an ego is great, as long as the player is open-minded and tries to get his teammates involved.

4. killerjoe

killerjoe Member

Trade Mobley and the number 9 pick for Brian Grant?

Forget Salary cap implications or the Blazer lack of need for a shooting guard[/B][/QUOTE]

we are givin to much for brian grant
    cuttino are a real good player to levin them they can become for the bench and bring 15.0 ppg and the 9 pick how can be in the futer a
    great foward player or center

me personal in the 1 to 10 i give 4

p.d brian grant is a qreat player and i like the move and shoot how they got but!

[​IMG]

keep it real

5. Rocketability

Rocketability Member

Mobe and 9th pick for Brian Grant? I won't do that.

I'd rather persuade Barkley to play one more year. I think he can contribute more than Grant can to the Rockets.

------------------

6. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I have to side slightly with Will here. One significant difference between two big men with big egos or two players of differing sizes (i.e. point and center) is that their positions can balance out the other.

The difference between the two different sized players is obvious, but, even with big men, there is a particular advantage. For example, with Barkley and Olajuwon, they had slightly different skills in the block. They could both score with a variety of moves and pass exceptionally well but beyond that they had very special and identifyable skills that made them unique. Barkley: rebounding, Olajuwon: shot blocking.

The difficulty with guards sharing is that they both have to have the ball to do it and, generally speaking, must do it off the dribble or shooting a jumper. The guard who doesn't have the ball is usually not involved in half court offensive plays. For instance, pick and rolls utilize a big man and a guard; iso's are...well, iso's. Anderson is a much more complimentary player to Francis than Mobley is or will be.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE Mobley and I think he and Francis have a unique bond, but he reminds me in many ways of Sam Cassell. The same problems Sam had in Houston have followed him: VERY talented, doesn't give up the ball enough. When he does, he is awesome, but that is not as often as his teammates would like.

In the NBA today, it takes a combination of talent with balanced egos. I don't think Mobley has a bad attitude or an ego that is too large, but I do sense a growing need to be in the lineup A LOT. I wonder just how long his 6th man position will be ok with him. I doubt that will last very long especially if he gets a big contract.

------------------
    "No one gets out ALIVE!"
    SaveOurRockets.com

7. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Nope, can't do it. Grant's a good talent to have, but no way he is worth a lottery pick AND someone as talented as the Mobester.

------------------
    We're going to miss you Chuck! Thanks for all the memories!

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

MOTHER OF GOD AND ALL THINGS HOLY... I'm gonna hafta defend Mobley again.

Jeff
    In all fairness to Mobley, your comparison of him to Cassell is accurate, but at the same time not necessarily synonymous. Cassell's problem was that he was a point guard that made stupid decisions, hogged the ball, and jacked up silly shots at inopportune times. Mobley is an off-guard that did the same things. Let's face it, the SG's primary responsibility is offense, not distribution of the basketball. If Rudy's given him the green light to shoot, then that's what he's going to do. My only complaint against him in the past was shot selection, which you mentioned. As for egos and what-not, I think all SG's need to have a little bit of that, but tempered with sane shot selection.

The 6th man thing is somewhat unfounded. I mean let's get real; the guy averaged 31 minutes per game. That's only 4-5 minutes less than Francis per game and only 2 minutes less than Shandon averaged. Both of the latter are starters. If Mobley's going to b**** about playing time, it's going to be over 2-4 minutes extra. In reality, if he gripes about playing time, it'll be over being called a "starter" and a "sixth man". If it comes to that, then it's pure ego... get rid of the bastid. (whew, I knew I'd get back to "trade him" form)

------------------
    ?

9. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

As a long time Cat fan, I want to defend him, but it's real hard to think of something decent to say after Mr Cut Tino Dr of Dunk stands up and defends him. I think Mobleys progression through the season speaks for itself and it is amazing the way everyone has jumped on board, it was probably only 3 months ago that you could count the Mobley fans (also known as Mobley Apologists) on one hand and now we almost need a forum just for the cat fans.
    Just had a quick look over the Brian Grant stats and his ppg have slipped since his first 2 years but the rebounds are up (except for this year when both are dramatically down) and as he is 29 I'm not convinced he can ever be a double-double man, which is what the rockets very much need. His career numbers are 11.8 ppg and 7.5 rebs and maybe this 9th pick can get us someone who can put up those numbers sometime soon, and when combined with the loss of Mobes, I say a big thumbs down to this proposals (good thread though).

SmegMan (one of the Original MObley Apologists)

------------------

10. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

No, Cat has been huge in the Rockets rebuilding, you have to keep Mobes.

------------------
    THE DEAN HAS WRITTEN

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I do not think it would take both the pick and Mobley to land Grant. Perhaps the pick alone or Mobley alone would bring him here.

I do not think that all the players need to be in the same age group to win. In fact, I think the Rockets could use a HEALTHY B. Grant.

However, if Grant is not healthy, or is not capable of being the same as he was the last 3 years, then...NO...I do not make the trade.

Now Bryce Drew and the number 9 pick for Grant would be very tantilizing, and IMHO a more fair trade.

DaDakota

------------------

12. 3pointer

3pointer Member

Drew and the 9th pick ? I like that much better !

------------------
    What now ?

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

"What now?" 3pointer

Get Portland to sign on the dated line!

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think we can get Brian Grant for Drew and the number 9 pick.

That would be a more fair pricetag.

------------------

15. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What about Drew and Kenny Thomas for Olowokandi?

------------------
    Rockets fans wanted at hoopsboards.com

Draft Chat, NBA Chat, Team Chat, and more!

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Why is there such an infatuation with "The Candy Man"? The only thing I remember of him is he hasn't fulfilled expectations, and was dismantled, disemboweled, destroyed, and disintegrated by Shaq to the tune of 60+ points and 20+ rebounds in a game. He shoots 43% (that's sad for a center). He averages only 31 minutes per game on a Clipper team. Looking at his game-by-game scoring, it's a model of inconsistency. Are we improving that much over Cato by getting him? Or are we trading for "potential"?

------------------
    ?

17. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Seems like he is behind Cato at his current level of play.

Mango

------------------
    The Serious Police are watching

Donate Blood

[This message has been edited by Mango (edited April 26, 2000).]