1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rumors about Yao Ming

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Chip123456, May 23, 2002.

1. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

I don't know anyone from the 19th century and I haven't seen a post from anyone who was personally offended. By bringing up this political correctness crap people take a perfectly harmless word written with no malicious intent and create a situation where somebody can get their feelings hurt.

I happen to be from Oklahoma and take the term Okie as a compliment. The term Sooner was a derogatory term as well and so was Yankee. Let people defend themselves if they are offended, and don’t create a "situation" where there should have been none.

I’m am positive that if Chip123456 truly offended someone and they ask his apology he would be more than willing to give it.

2. Verbatim

Verbatim Member

I am a Chinese and I am also an American.

I DO take offense to the title in this page. That "term" does have derogatory meaning attached to it.

It may not be as explosive as calling a black person the "N" word but if there was ever a term that comes close, this is it.

I understand that this was not meant as a derogatory remark but I was offended and I read this post looking for the racist that wrote it.

Guess what, I don't believe chip is a racist and that he never meant the use of the word as a cut down on the Chinese people. But as in any misunderstanding, a little understanding can go a long way. No need to apologize or anything like that.

That being say, chip's reply of

You know what, I really don't care. I'm going to say what I want. You should look at the point i'm trying to make instead a stupid word in my post unless I meant something by saying it. But the emphasis of the post isn't on that word (Chinaman). It's on his skills. So quit trying to be smart and read and react to the purpose. Thank you

is not the best way of making a misuderstanding go away.

3. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This one seems to have a bit of himself on his shoulder. ;)

4. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

"Chinaman" IS offensive and whether you "care" or not, it's not to be used on the BBS.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Look at Kagy being Mr. PC today. :D Good call on both, man.

6. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

Good job, BK. Chip, emphasis has nothing whatsoever to do with it. Get over yourself and play nice, or leave.

7. Chip123456

Chip123456 Member

you guys bore me.

8. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is ridiculous, why don't you save your pc crap for the hangout and let the real Rockets fans talk like men.

9. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

See, that's the difference between a man and a punk . . . punk.

Do not call Yao Ming a "chinaman," or you will be treated as though you had just called someone a "darkie" or "heeb." These terms are not literally false but are universally understood by members of the respective groups to be offensive.

If you think it's stupid that the controversy caused by your use of the term gets in the way of your basketball comments, try not using the term.

You have been warned.

10. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you would have looked, you would have noticed that I wasn't the one who used the "term" and understood not to use it. There was no malicious intent and everyone knew it. That's why I find it ridiculous when a perfectly good post gets turned into a witch hunt for the sake of being politically correct. I believe I'm allowed to have my opinion so name calling and threats are not necessary.

11. Axeman

Axeman Member

Please, noone call me a "Houstonian". I prefer "Houston dweller" or "Person Who Lives In Houston". Thank you.

12. Launch Pad

Launch Pad Contributing Member

From Dictionary.com

Chi·na·man Pronunciation Key (chn-mn)
    n. Offensive
    A Chinese man.

Hous·ton Pronunciation Key (hystn)
    A city of southeast Texas northwest of Galveston. Founded in 1836 and named for Sam Houston, it is a major industrial, commercial, and financial hub, the center of the U.S. aerospace industry, and a deep-water port connected with Galveston Bay and the Gulf of Mexico by the Houston Ship Channel. Houston is also the largest city in Texas. Population: 1,630,553.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hous·toni·an (hy-stn-n) n

Note the lack of the "offensive" description under Houstonian. Using inherently offensive terms loosely in public forums would pretty much be the actions of a:

dick Pronunciation Key (dk) Slang
    n.
    Chiefly British. A fellow; a guy.
    Vulgar. A penis.
    Vulgar. A person, especially a man, regarded as mean or contemptible.

Disclaimer: Please excuse the use of the latter "vulgar" definition to make a point (BTW I hope that no one argues that thinking "dick" is a vulgar term is just being "PC"). Oh, and in case you couldn't tell, the last bit was a joke and was not directed at anyone in particular. Here are a few smileys to soften the blow :p :D ;) :eek: :eek: :cool:

13. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I think you could ask some of our new chinese members... How they feel about the term... I have lived in China and traveled all over Asia and have used the term Chinaman (never in a derogatory manner) and never thinking I was being offensive. If they refered to me as Americanman I would not be offended in the least. However if they called me an American punk then I might have a problem.

Sometimes I think people take this politically correct sh#t too far. I think it's the intent that matters. And I did not get the impression that the original reference was meant to be offensive. As my father used to say "It's the color of your heart that matters" not your skin or your ethnicity.

14. PurvisShort

PurvisShort Member

general rule of thumb, refrain from referring to asians as "chinamen"...whether its innocent or not, its better to be left as chinese man or chinese person.

also, for all you un-informed, "ORIENTAL" refers to improper nouns such as rugs. i.e. "oriental rugs".

people are "asian", not "oriental"....just to avoid any mishaps in the future.

15. PurvisShort

PurvisShort Member

btw, im chinese.

16. TroyBaros

TroyBaros "Special" Friend of Steve Francis

How about referring to them with their god given birth name...:)
    I so dislike people who refer to others with offensive racial names or even references about white players.....

That is all.

17. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Someone close this thread!

18. Launch Pad

Launch Pad Contributing Member

Carry on.

19. Grizzled

Grizzled Member

Sometimes I think people take this politically correct sh#t too far. I think it's the intent that matters. And I did not get the impression that the original reference was meant to be offensive. As my father used to say "It's the color of your heart that matters" not your skin or your ethnicity.

I appreciate that you're trying to be conciliatory, but let's take this a little further. Would it be seen as OK for me to come down to Houston and start calling black people the N word? I'm Canadian. I have no history with the word, other than what I've seen on television and in Pulp Fiction, for example. I wouldn't be saying it with any bad intent. I'd just use it like they use it in Pulp Fiction. Do you think anybody would be offended? Of course they would. Intent is important, but a person should make some effort to find out what terminology is appropriate, and to use it.

20. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

"I'm Canadian. I have no history with the word, other than what I've seen on television and in Pulp Fiction, for example."

LOL!