1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Oregonian] Shaq on Yao and other Centers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by freemaniam, Mar 26, 2009.

1. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

You all have heard that before, just felt a little bit different since Shaq wasn't talking to a Houston or Chinese reporter.

And his comments on other Centers in the league too...

[RQUOTER]Shaquille O'Neal: Critically Massive
    by Geoffrey C. Arnold, The Oregonian Wednesday March 25, 2009, 8:37 PM

Bruce Ely/The Oregonian
    Shaquille O'Neal (above) on the Blazers' Greg Oden: "Give him some time and he should be a great center."Shaquille O'Neal's career has been rejuvenated since he arrived in Phoenix last season.
    The 37-year-old center's scoring and minutes averages -- 18.2 points and 30.2 minutes per game -- are his best in five seasons. Though the Suns could miss the playoffs, O'Neal has produced a solid season and was named to the All-Star team for the 15th time in his 17 NBA seasons.

With his four NBA titles, an MVP award and three NBA Finals MVP awards, O'Neal still considers himself the gold standard among current NBA centers.

"I'm the CEO of centers in this league," O'Neal said. "I'm the shogun and the rest of the guys must go through the ninjas before they get to me."

O'Neal says he gets motivated when playing against the so-called "next dominant big man." Few would be surprised if he produces an outstanding game against Blazers rookie center Greg Oden or starting center Joel Przybilla -- whom he has had a few heated encounters over the years -- in tonight's game at the Rose Garden.

When it comes to rating NBA big men, O'Neal has his own share of opinions. Here's what he had to say:

Greg Oden, Portland -- "Young guy, who looks pretty athletic. He's just have to get a go-to move, a shot he can rely on. Give him some time and he should be a great center."

Yao Ming, Houston -- "I don't think there is anybody like Yao, someone who can take over a game and change the game. Yao is a great center. With his height and his ability, he can shoot the jumper or post-up."

Tim Duncan, San Antonio -- "Tim Duncan and I share the same responsibilities, but Tim is one of those quiet owners who doesn't talk a lot. He's got four (championships) and I've got four."

Dwight Howard, Orlando -- "He's a highly respected center. I haven't really seen him back people down like (Patrick) Ewing used to do or (Kevin) Duckworth or I used to do it. He catches lobs and rebounds. He just does what he's supposed to do."

Andrew Bynum, Los Angeles Lakers -- "A big guy and he plays above the rim. He does what he's supposed to do."

Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Cleveland -- "He has a lot of moves in the post. If he didn't have so many foot problems, he would have displayed those moves long before now. He can step out and shoot, post up. Great team player, great touch around the basket."

Ben Wallace, Cleveland -- "He has always been an undersized center. He'll never back down, no matter how many times you hit him. He's going to still come at you, still rebound and still fight."

Brad Miller, Sacramento -- "An undersized, but respectable center. He's more like a Tim Duncan-type forward. He can step out and shoot the jumper. He will foul you hard and will not back down."

-- Geoffrey C. Arnold: 503-221-8556; geoffreyarnold@news.oregonian.com[/RQUOTER]

#1 freemaniam, Mar 26, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  2. ibm

ibm Member

sounds like the ceo knows his troops pretty well... fair comments.

i'd like to hear how he grades himself one day when it's all said and done.

3. ccada

ccada Contributing Member

Greg Oden has a big bag of nothing IMO.

4. xRocketsfanx

xRocketsfanx Member

i agree with shaq's opinions and he still is being his old self with his comments lol

5. vunny1408

vunny1408 Contributing Member

Okur " a flopper on D and a p*ssy on O who avoids the paint and camps himself at the 3 point line" ;)

6. ccada

If Yao shot 40% from 3, we probably would run some plays to get him out there, too. And I'm no Okur fan, but he manages to D up Yao pretty well. I think that's more on Yao not being aggressive than Okur being the defensive player of the year, though.

7. Marcus Bryant

Marcus Bryant Member

but we don't have a PG as good as Deron.

8. redwhiteone

redwhiteone Member

The Big Aristotle can still mix it up with the young centers in the league. I agree with ibm, Shaq made fair comments on the legitimate centers (stop including Okur please :rolleyes: ). He is still the gold standard among the centers. Nice comment on Yao btw.

9. ccada

few teams do.

10. MrRoboto

MrRoboto Member

I cannot create new posts here -

But NBA-TV has the Hakeem special on at midnight.

11. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Yao is great.

Why the hell is Brad Miller and Ben Wallace even mentioned here???

12. coolbluemoon

coolbluemoon Member

[​IMG]

Looks like someone mailed it in at work. One Shaq quote and a bunch of made up stuff? C'mon, really.

13. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Fixed.

His praise for Yao doesn't mean much when you juxtapose it to the praise he's given others.

14. thesaint

thesaint Member

I agree. He has proved nothing yet but get so much hype! IMO when healthy...he will prolly be rebounding leader...other than that i dont think he will be any offensive force in the NBA. Maybe the next Ben Wallace.

15. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

If Okur actually had a post game, he wouldn't be out there shooting 3s.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I read that before the OP's post and figured there had to be a thread about it already. I almost never start threads. Guess I should have! Thought Shaq's comments were pretty good. I would have liked to see a mention of Dream, but Shaq can't talk about him in every interview about centers, although certainly he should.

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

They must've tranquilized Shaq to be this complimentary and sedate in his response to this question. Usually he's a bit more opinionated.

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Thing is with Greg Oden...

For the Center position, being a great rebounder and blocker is MORE important than scoring. Now if he can score then that's a MAJOR plus...but Defense and Rebounding are what Centers are supposed to do and Oden WILL do that if he's healthy. No doubt about it in my mind that if he stays healthy he'll get his boards and intimidate in the paint, you can already see that in the few games and minutes he does play.

He's working on his offensive game but as far as him and uh Howard go, they will be getting their points the same way the difference is Howard's team is built around him and Oden's team isn't.

19. ferrarif1286

ferrarif1286 Member

i rather see durant roy and aldridge instead of oden in there

20. NoBodyAnswers

NoBodyAnswers Member

May be we have the worst :mad: