1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How are you comparing this season to last season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lovermanbuda, Mar 23, 2009.

1. lovermanbuda

lovermanbuda Member

I'm not exactly sure about how our record differentiate but I find this season to be similar to last. It was our 22 game winning streak that lifted us to 1st in the west last season without Yao and now we've won 16 of 20 without T-mac to give us 2nd in the west (1st in SW). Ron Ron and other key players definitely make the difference.

Like last season there were times when this team played like champions then there were times where it felt unbearable to watch (I still watched tho........damn my love for the rockets). I can't tell you how many times I yelled at the refs, praised Yao then screamed at him, begged Ron Ron to pass and then for anybody to give the ball to Yao. Then in the end we're right where we should be from the get go.

The only thing I don't want from last season is to meet the Utah "I hate this team with a passion, damn floppers :mad: " Jazz in the first round.~~~tryin to relax and breathe~~~

Anyway.............thoughts?

2. ElDobleK

ElDobleK Literally Zan Tabak

Last year, I knew our streak was fool's gold. Sure, it felt nice to rack up all those wins, but I knew that come playoff time we wouldn't have enough firepower with Yao wearing a suit. Thus, while I was disappointed at another first round exit, I wasn't surprised

Now I have legitimate hopes for playoff success. This is a balanced, well-rounded team with one more year of experience and the addition of a tenacious competitor. I feel like we'll peak at the right time, and if Landry can work himself into the same form he was before the assault, we'll be dangerous. If Battier's 3 can start falling before the postseason and really stretch our offense out, I think we can give the Lakers a run for their money. There's not a team in the West besides them I'm particularly afraid of, so long as we're playing our game when it matters most.

3. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

We are better than last year. We're not only a better team but also better off. Last year we peaked out during the streak and even despite our impressive winning streak, you still got that "I hope we play the Rockets!" vibe people were arrogantly giving off. I don't sense that this year at all.

4. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

I wish I were as confident as you man. As the winning streak last year was fool's gold, I believe this year's wins have been so as well. We are hardly dominating, but at least we are competing. The good wins we've had, we barely pull them out. And in my humble opinion, in a 7 games series, we won't be able to do that enough.

I do like what I see from a lot of the squad. I just don't feel *at this time* they are 2nd round bound. :\

I hope they prove me way wrong.

5. AXG

AXG Member

Right. I also think that winning streak is what got them into the Playoffs. Excluding that streak, they were 33-27 the rest of the year. Hypothetically, if they went 15-7 during that same time, they'd have 48 wins which wasn't good enough for the Warriors to get into the postseason.

6. archinkent

archinkent Member

fyi, we're 47-23 at this point last year, and that included the streak. this year no streak and our record is similar. we're just more consistent this year and beating teams with better records. if there wasnt problems with tmac earlier, we would have a better record.

7. throwedyung14

throwedyung14 Contributing Member

I feel like last year we were playing at the very peak of our potential in the regular season and during the playoffs. This year i still feel like we can get better. The talent is just superior.

Last year we got screwed when Alston got hurt in the playoffs... very different than this year.

8. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

It depends who we play. We are better than Denver, Portland and New Orleans. If we play any of those three I like our odds. Can we beat Utah? Yes, I would just prefer that it wouldn't be a first round task. Shedding this playoff monkey is paramount for this group and playing a team that owns us in recent history certainly isn't going to increase your odds or boost your confidence in that regard.

Ideally, Utah slips to the #8 seed and plays the Lakers in the first round or draws San Antonio and those two beat the hell out of each other. I wouldn't mind slipping back to the #3 seed if it means securing a #2 vs. #7 SA/Utah match up. We have already proven we can beat both of those teams much less the tired, "Just played a physical, seven game series" version of them.

9. ElDobleK

ElDobleK Literally Zan Tabak

Not even second round bound? Even if we face the likes of Portland or Denver in the first round?

Just look at the Cleveland game. That's an example of what this team is capable of if it's clicking on all cylinders, against the league's elite. We're not dominating, but that's near impossible to do in the West, and even moreso when playing at playoff intensity. We're winning the games we're supposed to, and faring well against our main competition. Admittedly, I'd be shocked if we made it to the WCF, because the Lakers and a healthy San Antonio could probably best us. But I think we've got more than what it takes to make it to the 2nd round this year.

10. Legend Killer

Legend Killer Contributing Member

Last season was alot more fun. 22 in a row was memorable especially beating Kobe for #22.

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

We are a better team this year without McGrady than last year without Yao. This is not because Yao is better than Mcgrady, but because we have better talents outside of Yao and TMac.

Brooks + Lowry > Alston + Brooks
    Scolandry 09 > Scolandry 08 (hope Landry comes back soon)
    Artest > no Artest
    Wafer > Head
    Barry > no Barry

We are 16-4 without TMac. Not exactly a big winning streak. But the opponents have been much tougher this time around than during the streak last year.

12. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

I think that we won't be able to beat a Spurs team with a healthy Ginobili. And I don't see us making it past the Jazz either. But if we can avoid those three teams and get Landry back, we should be second round bound.

13. bjshot

bjshot Member

Last year, Rockets lost Yao Ming.
    This year, Rockets lost Tmac but added Ron. Tmac has the edge. Rafer was traded for KL. I give the edge to Rafer but KL is good. Scola/landry/AB gained one year experiences.

Yes, basically this year they added healthy yao and aged scola/landry/ab from last year. So the team of this year is much better than that of last year. If they won some of games that they lost to the bottom teams in the early season, they would be #1 in western conference right now.

Yes, I believed that the Rockects could win 60+ even without Ron or Tmac. They are still the contenders. but I still feel they will miss Rafer in playoff. they just a couple of good executions away from WC. if they can do what they did in last game, they will win WC for sure.

14. manhore

manhore Member

The reason that the 22 win streak was mainly fools gold was because the majority of the streak were made of sub. 500 teams. The 16-4 record this year is more impressive because:

1. A lot of the teams the Rox beat this year are playoff bound teams
    2. This started AFTER changing 40% of it's starting line-up
    3. A 2nd yr point guard is starting
    4. You get the feeling that this team is far from peaking and is still learning to play with each other. There's a good chance that by the time the playoffs start, the Rox will be playing on a different level.

I'm optimistic about this 2 weeks where the Rox can really practice. People don't realize that since the overhaul of the starting line-up, the Rox hasn't had a chance to really practice. Hopefully the Rox can work on their Achilles Heel - fronting defense on Yao and 4th qtr situational plays. If they can work on these, then SKY'S THE LIMIT.

15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

This year we are relying on grit and passion. We have a team that you can trust.

Also, our defensive SF, C, and PG are not injured going into the playoffs.

Those are the main differences that I can see.

16. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

I'm a hard grader but just like every other past seasons I'll wait till the Rockets stop playing. Yeah they have had 50+ win seasons but all that doesn't mean nothing. They failed :( . A successful season is winning it all. Last year we had McGrady and company with no Yao. This year we have Yao and company with no McGrady. That's really the only difference I see. Until the Rockets win it all then every season is a failure :( .

If some of yall are angry then so be it. Im sorry but its the truth. I'm a realist and speak the truth

17. blender

blender Member

Last year's team peaked during the 22-game winning streak and burned out afterwards. By the playoffs they looked tired, which Battier admitted as much during an interview this year.

This year's team has yet to peak and they're still winning ballgames. Yao's minutes have been carefully managed throughout the year so he's looking fresh. Battier and Artest got some rest during the season due to their injuries but they're healthy now.

My only concern is Scola, but the guy's a workhorse.

I'm liking our chances for at least a first round win.

18. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

This season we have a better set rotation. Better point guard tandem.
    Like Artest as a power player, warrior.
    Landry/Scola much improved combo.

Deeper bench with Barry.

Stay healthy and this years team will go past round 1.

19. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

You also have to judge it on the talent you have on your team. Barkley, Stockton, Yao and Tracy have never won a ring. Are you calling them failures?

A team can't be judged primarily on whether they win the championship or not. It's the progression every year that people look at. If the Rockets didn't make it to the playoffs last year, but do so this year, then that's actual improvement.

If the Rockets didn't get out of the first round last year, but do so this year, that's an improvement.

Don't be such a hard grader. :)

20. xRocketsfanx

xRocketsfanx Member

Last year it was basically T-Mac and a bunch of role players playing basketball well together down the stretch but when playoff time came, T-Mac was basically the only playmaker besides Rafer Alston

This season however you have a healthy Yao Ming, Ron Artest and a bunch of improved role players. Luis Scola is becoming a nightly double double, Lowry, Landry and Wafer off the bench provide good scoring along with Barry and Hayes can guard almost anybody on the court.

I had high hopes we would go far last year but it was hard to believe that when Yao Ming went down and now this year It is WCF or bust IMO. The team is that talented and can beat anybody in the west when they play their ball and not let the offense get stagnant.