1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Defense after the trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shroopy2, Feb 22, 2009.

1. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

There were still a lot of guys lurking wide open against the Mavs. I hope the Rockets get better defensively because this season has been ugly on that side of the ball. I'm sure the lack of a consistent rotation has hurt that part, so we'll see if they are able to get it together and play some better D.

As for the offensive side, I love where this team is going. I like Lowry's ability to just go to the basket. He never backs down. Aaron stepped up HUGE at the end. Hopefully, the Rockets can continue to play well.

2. akuma

akuma Member

i still maintain that Adelman and Sacramento's system made Peja look much better than he really was. he had 3 really good years during the Kings' peak. Peja never sniffed the all-star game after he was traded to Indiana and later New Orleans. he won't be the man on any other team or system. i just remember how easily Rick Fox seemed to be able to shut him down in the playoffs. i was much more impressed by Bibby in the playoffs then Peja. i will admit that the guy can shoot, and from anywhere on the floor, but can't defend (or rebound or block) if his life depended on it. right now all the Rockets starters can defend and shoot the ball pretty well, although i would rather have Yao and Artest score their points inside.

3. RocketKobe24

RocketKobe24 Member

The defense should improve now that Lowry is on the team, he is a pesky defender and similar to Rajon Rondo on both ends. I think this defense has been more consistent recently. Yao Ming has stepped up his defensive intensity, his shot blocking and his rebounding.

The guy that needs to step up his defense is Ron Artest though.

4. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Yeah it purposely out of context :) Would have to think it was satisfying for him to see total team ball carried out in his system, just a little. But it was more about the game clincher, showing confidence in Aaron Brooks & team unity as well.

Forgot Peja had it going like that. He was a dang "king"pin of the NBA back in '04. Great scorer, tremendous shooter with size. Just that he wasnt too difficult to neutralize in big game situations.

I've gotten used to seeing Rockets defenses with top 5 rankings. It actually hasnt slipped that much through all the turbulence. Lesser teams & coaches might have wilted so its a testament that Adelman knows what he's doing. This transition was gonna happen. Les Alexander is getting his more exciting brand of uptempo basketball he wanted. Even the Suns are bringing it back. That trying to play defense stuff is for suckers who....tend to win a lot :eek:

Of all players its Battier who I have trust to keep the continuity going. I agree Brooks can wear out his defender's legs over the course of the game. Lowry isnt gonna give up anything through him or around him, only over him. Artest will do his usual good job. Really its not so much the perimeter, its the interior defense. Cant happen this year but still would like another frontcourt guy with size & length who can defend.

5. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

There was no excuse for letting Barea do whatever he wanted out there. Seriously, he tore us up in that final quarter. Like he was Chris Paul or something.

6. RocketKobe24

RocketKobe24 Member

Barea is probably faster than Aaron Brooks to be fair. Also, Yao is not the best defensive pick n roll defender in the league and neither is Aaron Brooks. Kyle Lowry also played for the Rockets without any practice either, so he is not used to what he did in Memphis and what he is going to do here.

7. Exiscion

Exiscion Member

I don't think our defense improved or got worse after the trade. Rafer is a better defender than Aaron so the trade might downgrade our starting line-up defense. But since Lowry is a very good on the ball defender, having him come off the bench upgrades the bench's defense. So the team defense remains pretty much unchanged. However, I do anticipate our defense to improve with both Ron and Shane becoming more healthy.

8. angrykitty

angrykitty Member

Agree on Ron and Shane. Neither has played as well as expected on either end. Staying in front of your man requires lateral movement that they just have not had. Half the season to heal up, plus the rest over All Star break should help. I expect both will start playing more to form over the remainder of the season.