1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Yao was African American....

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by roxwin, Feb 10, 2009.

1. langal

langal Contributing Member

he wouldn't speak Chinese and Yi Jian Lian would be a perennial All-Star.

And about the racial stereotypes. I doubt he would be faster, etc. if he was black. Genetic freaks sort of defy the norm.

2. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Wow. The ignorance in this thread is astounding.

3. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

to be fair he was less african american and more african.

4. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Yao is by far the most athletic 7'6" or taller player in the history of NBA.

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How many 7'-6" black men are out there? Yao is a statistical anomaly so any sort of comparison like that doesn't apply.

6. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I would like to see those studies but there are a couple of problems with that argument. One is that practically all African-Americans actually have mixed race ancestry so if you are arguing that their genes that give them blackness (African) also give them more fast twich muscle then those genes have been diluted. Two is that if that were really the case then Africans from Africa would be dominating sports. Instead of only having a few African players we should have tons of African players and every college and NBA recruiter should be scouring Africa for the next Hakeem.

While there are some differences among groups based on genetics the human genome project has shown that race based differences regarding skin color aren't very signifigant. For something like sports things like upbringing and nutrition probably are more likely to lead to success than genetics.

7. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I agree and given America's history this makes much more sense than genetics.

8. conquistador#11

how is this a worthless thread?
    If yao was just an american, he would be viewed as the savior, who brought back the hook shot.
    His free throw shooting would make every analyst orgasm, this is excluding the big red head, donnie nelson, and hubie because those guys are cool.

If yao was american, nike would have never attempted to screw him over.
    If yao was american, he would make the cover of GQ grabbing on to lindsay loham ala lebron and giselle.

But if yao was american, he wouldn't carry an entire nation on his back. so i guess this is a worthless thread. :p

9. kevolution

kevolution Member

..he would miss free throws and not be able to shoot :)

10. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I think he specifically meant African-Americans. It's likely to have something to do with the bigger/faster/stronger Africans being enslaved and bred to produce more bigger/faster/stronger slaves. It seems logical that there are still some lingering affects of slavery...physically as well as psychologically.

It's probably nothing to make a fuss about though. i'm sure you can often find trends in the genetics of certain groups of people, that doesn't make it acceptable to make generalizations.

I do, however, love the hilarious irony of African Americans' supposed superiority or favoritism on basketball message boards. This is the one place on Earth where they are considered "the man".

11. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Yes I saw that he said African-Americans but if he is judging who is an African American the main factor in determining that is skin color which comes from African. For that matter the slave generations who came here have had their genes diluted quite a bit so even if there was was a selective process from the slavery experience that was been weakened by the tendency of slave masters to breed with slaves. For that matter there are also many people who look white yet also have descendents who were slaves from Africa. Are those people then gifted with more fast twitch muscles or is that related to the skin color gene?
    Whether it is acceptable or not I don't think there is much basis for that line of reasoning. African-Americans are disproportionally represented in the NBA but does that have more to do with their genetics or with that there are more African-American's playing basketball? At one time basketball was considered the Jewish sport because Jews lived primarily in the inner city and basketball was a sport easy to play in the inner cities.
    Racial stereotypes often work in odd ways.

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I know for a fact that Black Yao would be selling insurance for Geico.

13. 24 in a roll

24 in a roll Member

"there is only one race, and that is the human race." - chris webber

14. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

If Yao was African American....

Dennis Rodman is that you