1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Music] Eminem

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Asian Sensation, Jan 16, 2009.

1. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Easy bro, the Dr. just started work on the album. It's gonna be dope when it comes out in 2020.

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

And I would say that great poetry is about expression, not creating something everyone can relate to. It is art, something all about personal expression at an intimate level, not manufactured garble meant to please the MTV generation.

3. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Well, yeah, you're right, obviously any art form is expression. I was more pointing to a fundamental difference i see in anything Hip hop (whether it be spoken word, rapping, clothing, dj's) and poetry. Any good poetry I've read, i've seen multiple layers, multiple meanings, which gives readers a chance to relate. I don't think that's the case with rap, it's just unfiltered reality, in many cases you won't relate to them and rappers understand that. You know, a poet can say something powerful with one line while a rapper gives you 16 bars and may ony be getting started. Beautiful in a different way, to me.

...and is anyone who grew up after MTV started considered part of the MTV generation? if so that sucks. :(

4. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Very true.

I think rap limits itself with rhyming, but can it really sound decent without it? doubtful.

Both expressive arts that can easily be manipulated to give the kiddies what they want.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

STAN is his best song IMO - a superior song
    Beyond that he is average to slightly above average

Rocket River

6. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

trash boy/girl groups...check
    trash my mother...check
    rap about my wife...check
    rap about my daughter...check
    feud with murder inc & benzino...check
    make club songs...check(fail)

mr. mathers has ran out of material, should have stayed retired

7. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

One of the better, maybe even best, rappers post-Biggie/Pac. Someone earlier in this thread said it wasn't Eminem's lyrics that drew him in, but his words. I think that is a pretty good way to put it. You can tell he is from the older school generation that sits down with his pen and his pad and puts a lot of thought behind how he strings together his verses. A rap "wordsmith", if you will.

And anyone who is measuring Em based purely on his more mainstream, "radio friendly" songs is missing out on a lot of his best work.

8. bob718

bob718 Contributing Member

Is Bob Dylan a poet?

9. Rule0001

Rule0001 Contributing Member

Add another for "50 cent should never be in any song ever". Dre was pretty sick in Crack A Bottle though. Yet, I find the song annoying now. Oh well.

10. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

Eminem writes Dre's parts though. I got a version of this song with only Eminem but with him doing both his and Dres verses. No 50. But its still good to hear Dre again.

11. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

Have you ever listened to the first G-Unit cd? Lloyd Banks and Young Buck kill 50 on just about every track. I'd even go as far to say that there are some tracks that are borderline ruined because 50's verse is so weak.

12. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ever listened to Tupac?

That is poetry if I ever heard it....

Jay-Z
    "'Rosa sat, so Martin could walk, so Obama could run, so we all could fly.'"

#32 RudyTBag, Jan 20, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  13. Shaud

Shaud Member

Eminem is very good when he's serious.

But too many times he goes the trying to be funny route which leads him to being just plain out corny.

14. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

The music period with Eminem at his peak and helped by others , I thought was when mainstream music was in one of its greatest heights (MTV era).

Not much good music, in fact most of it terrible. With some exceptions, just there was a little something for everyone like rap, "nu" metal for the thrashers & heshers, pop had all kinds things from boy bands for the girlies, britney further negatively influencing them, club & dance songs, latin singers crossing over... rap still had music coming from both coasts plus the south, posthumous Tupac & BIG albums still keeping interest, + of course Eninem-ania. And somehow Kid Rock finds a niche...

Then internet ate it ALL away...

This is kinda like the closest rap version of the "Play some SKYNARD, man!" guy

15. Bullard4Life

Bullard4Life Member

From the man himself:

"Now they asked me to read a poem
    At the sorority sister's home
    I got knocked down and my head was swimmin'
    I wound up with the Dean of Women
    Yippee ! I'm a poet, and I know it
    Hope I don't blow it."

I Shall Be Free No. 10